Sponsored

JLU Wrangler testing with larger and wider tires (285/70/17)

Jeep XXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Good if they can keep the price about the same that will save a bunch on extra set of 17 wheels/tires.
Sponsored

MrDinkMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango
Sport = 245/75R17.
Sounds like some specs have already been released behind the scenes. Funny that even hearing tire/wheel sizes makes the wait more fun. Thanks to all who are posting this advanced info.

DropTopGal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBA: 2018 JL Wrangler, 2017 GS Corvette
Vehicle Showcase
I've been doing lots of research on Wrangler tires and wheels because that BIG tire look is important to me. After viewing many JK Wranglers with 285/70 17 tires, I would certainly be OK with that tire size. Perhaps add a good 1.5" spacer to push the tires out some for a more aggressive stance. The pictured above - BF Goodrich AT has enough size for my personal liking, but a more aggressive tire would look even better.

A few things that I also have come to learn regarding BIG tires. While large tire sizes look good, there is actually a lot more to consider if going to a 35" or larger (i.e. need to lift or raise with different springs, gear ratio to accommodate for rolling resistance and performance decrease, etc).
Then I figured that a decent set of new wheels and 33" tires would cost at least $2200 to $3000 for a set of 5 and 35" combos plus the costs for the extra stuff to accommodate the larger tires would add up to well over $4000. For that price, might as well go for the Rubicon with the 285/70 as opposed to a Sport or Sahara.
Just a thought.

(Sure wish the JL was available now and would have driven that to Daytona Bike Week next month. Guess the Corvette will have to do.)

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I've been doing lots of research on Wrangler tires and wheels because that BIG tire look is important to me. After viewing many JK Wranglers with 285/70 17 tires, I would certainly be OK with that tire size. Perhaps add a good 1.5" spacer to push the tires out some for a more aggressive stance. The pictured above - BF Goodrich AT has enough size for my personal liking, but a more aggressive tire would look even better.

A few things that I also have come to learn regarding BIG tires. While large tire sizes look good, there is actually a lot more to consider if going to a 35" or larger (i.e. need to lift or raise with different springs, gear ratio to accommodate for rolling resistance and performance decrease, etc).
Then I figured that a decent set of new wheels and 33" tires would cost at least $2200 to $3000 for a set of 5 and 35" combos plus the costs for the extra stuff to accommodate the larger tires would add up to well over $4000. For that price, might as well go for the Rubicon with the 285/70 as opposed to a Sport or Sahara.
Just a thought.

(Sure wish the JL was available now and would have driven that to Daytona Bike Week next month. Guess the Corvette will have to do.)
You are correct in that going 35" or larger requires more work, but there are ways to keep the costs down compared to what you posted:

-BFG KO2 - (5) 35x12.5x17 = $1,600 Mounted & Balanced (Discount Tire or Tire Rack)
-Wheels - 17" wheels are the most common on the Wrangler, and a set of (5) Method, KMC, or other popular brands are are around $1,250.00, if you want more expensive 3pc or forged wheels well then prices can go up to $3K a set.
-Lift - I have a AEV 2.5" lift which came with everything I needed to run 35" tires the cost on it was around $1,000 however I installed it my self. If you need someone to do the install labor I would guess would run another $500-$1,000
-Gearing - if you get the factory 4.10 gears you should be fine with 35s although 4.56 would be ideal.

So for under $4K you can run 35s on the JKU, but who knows on the JL as it might already come a bit higher, and geared properly. If you wanted to take a set up to 37s thats where it gets a LOT more complicated and expensive.

Sport11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Out of all the confirmed upgrades so far larger stock tires is actually probably my favorite. One of the most frequently asked question on any Wrangler site is how to upgrade tire size and what's the largest tire that can be fitted. Now they'll come in bigger sizes stock but also probably means you can upgrade them to an even larger size than you could on the JK/JKU with little or no modification.

Sponsored

OHldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Ford Bronco, 2013 Ford Flex, Former JK owner
Will there be no factory 16" wheel options for the JL? I think 16's are still the most popular among Jeep owners.

OHldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Ford Bronco, 2013 Ford Flex, Former JK owner
I believe they will still be available, at least on the base Sport.
Good to hear. Eliminating all 16 options would have been a mistake. Plenty of JK owners will upgrade and want to keep their tires/wheels.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
@Milous also any idea if the JL will keep the same bolt pattern and similar offset of wheels? I'm curious if I could use wheels & tires off my JK on the JL.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I believe they will still be available, at least on the base Sport.
For the current JKU Sport, 16x7 steel wheels with 225/75R16 is standard
The Sport S with Power Group, 17x7.5 Alloys with 255/75R17 is standard.

It will be interesting to see what wheels/tires are standard on the JLU. The current 16x7 steel rims are probably only good up to a 265 tire width. I originally planned to save some money and purchase the Base Model Sport JKU with the 16x7 steel rims and upgrade to a 265/75R16 tire down the road. Maybe the JLU will come standard with 17 inch wheels.

N.Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 TJ
For the current JKU Sport, 16x7 steel wheels with 225/75R16 is standard
The Sport S with Power Group, 17x7.5 Alloys with 255/75R17 is standard.

It will be interesting to see what wheels/tires are standard on the JLU. The current 16x7 steel rims are probably only good up to a 265 tire width. I originally planned to save some money and purchase the Base Model Sport JKU with the 16x7 steel rims and upgrade to a 265/75R16 tire down the road. Maybe the JLU will come standard with 17 inch wheels.
That's the route I'd take too. If it's only the wheels/tires compelling me to consider a higher trim I'll just get the base model and go aftermarket for the wheels and tires. Selling the factory set could help make up the price of the aftermarket set, and I'd have a pick of wheel style and tire type.

JJ75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Nice to see 33" factory tires. Will be interesting to see if we get more aggressive gearing to go with the bigger tires. Standard 4.11 gears would be nice.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Nice to see 33" factory tires. Will be interesting to see if we get more aggressive gearing to go with the bigger tires. Standard 4.11 gears would be nice.
It would be nice if that would give us a range of gearing options like 4.10, 4.56, 4.88 etc

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Factory gearing choice would be VERY good!
Sponsored