JLU wrangler steering and handling

Zusna

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler RUBICON 2015
Hi all. So I have been really really interested in getting a new wrangler rubicon as of late and will take installment loans on the https://maybeloan.com/installment-loans for it. I have been driving them a lot as well as I sell FCA products. I have seen a mess of contradicting opinions on the steering and handling at highway speeds. So I was wondering if anyone here had any opinions.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Lots of variables impact steering: tire pressure, type of tire, road surface and most importantly, THE DRIVER.

While some have had legit steering issues these are the exception and certainly not the norm. Then again, some people find what they want to find and not an ounce of reason can change the opinion.

Make good choices.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
It's fine if you get an '18-'20 that had the steering TSB implemented to get the newly redesigned gearbox that all MY21+ have from the factory.

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
So I was wondering if anyone here had any opinions.
Oh, you came to the right place :LOL:

My opinion is that the JLU doesn't handle like a sedan, or an SUV, it handles like a Jeep on the highway.
I am currently working on trying to improve my steering issue, some of it my own doing it appears! We did a road trip in the Jeep this summer, and I can't see us doing another one, it's just not for us. Tooling around locally, I love the Jeep, and it does all that I need. On the highway, when you pass by a semi, you feel the Jeep move, like it was pushed, couple that with some wind and it makes for a tiring long distance drive.
You wanted opinions and this is mine :giggle:

If you have access to FCA vehicles, you should be able to do a side by side, I am quite sure that compared to driving a Grand Cherokee the experience is very different. I would also say that my Jeep has it's purpose, and it is great for that, for long distance highway I have other vehicles.
Make sure that you drive whatever you buy, and get it out on the highway as a part of the test drive(s).

Whatever you do, do what is right for you, and enjoy!

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Just get a Rubicon... lower the tire pressure to 34 or so, make sure it is a steel not aluminum steering box, getting an alignment plus make sure all it tight in steering rods etc at the same time. $60 investment from real tire place not the dealer.

You will have a great ride, no fear and be so happy and safe.

Sponsored

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
I replied in another thread regarding this. My previous ride was a Mazda CX-5, regarded for having excellent steering, and it did. Going to a Jeep is not going to be as good, physics is a bitch. The tires alone will flew sidewalls, and transfer the diameter up to the steering wheel. That being said, once you get used to it, staying in lanes of traffic at highway speed does not require any skill at all. If it does, there is either something wrong with your Jeep that needs the TSB fix, or you arent capable of driving a vehicle in a straight line. I can take my hand of the wheel for almost a half mile and not have to correct on a level road.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
My 20' JLR drove pretty well right off the lot...That said, after a Mopar/Teraflex (control arms) lift, full Steer Smarts steering setup, Fox 2.0 TS, 35" KO2's on 17x8.5" wheels and the new iron steering gear, it drives and handles a hell of a lot better! I have zero problem spending a few hours driving down the interstate at 75mph+...

Now it does not ride/handle on the interstate like my 19' RAM Longhorn, nor does my Longhorn ride/handle like my girlfriends BMW...It is a Jeep!

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
I use my stock '18 Sport S for interstate trips - often cruising at 80 with the traffic flow. Wind noise aside, it rides and handles very well. At 80, it's turning about 2000 rpm and there's no vibration or engine noise. All in all, it's a very comfortable trip vehicle.

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
Hi all. So I have been really really interested in getting a new wrangler rubicon as of late. I have been driving them a lot as well as I sell FCA products. I have seen a mess of contradicting opinions on the steering and handling at highway speeds. So I was wondering if anyone here had any opinions.
There seems to be some variations from Rubi to Rubi. I would test drive the one you want to buy to
make sure it steers and handles the way you want it too.

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
I bought my Rubicon new in 2019. I have never had a complaint about steering (or anything) since then. I added Fuel wheels and 35" mt's and still steers great FOR A JEEP. A Jeep will never handle like a car, Its not engineered to, its engineered to be the most capable 4x4 in the world and it is but there is a price to pay for that. You cannot expect a suspension designed to flex and articulate so much to tighten up to sport car performance just as you cannot expect a Viper built and designed for the race track to flex and ride smooth on bumpy roads. Its the nature of the beast and the Jeep Rubicon is a beast that is not for everyone, yes it wonders.....thats what they are made to do so jump in and let her take you for a wonder anywhere you dare to go.

Sponsored

Harrybeerbelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tackhawk
There seems to be some variations from Rubi to Rubi. I would test drive the one you want to buy to
make sure it steers and handles the way you want it too.

^^^^^ What he said. I test drove a ton of Jeeps before I purchased. Even within the same trim level and engine some drove better than others. Really cant explain why. And that's on the same roads.

My Jeep is going to be used for interstate traveling. So the on road manors are important to me.
You may want to consider a diesel. For some reason the diesels would hold the road better. None of the side to side wobble.