Sponsored

JLU with manual transmission wouldn't start

Seanmh72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Posted this in General, but should have been here. Sorry for the duplicate message.

Went to run an errand yesterday and when I got back into my JL, pushed the button to start and the engine didn't turn over.

The instrument cluster turned on and the Uconnect screen turned on, but nothing else.

I have a manual and had the clutch in and foot on the break.

Had to turn it off 3 times and finally on the 4th try, it kicked over. Never saw this before.

Anyone else seeing this?
Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I never jump in my JL and push the start button--TO START !

I have a long history/experience of dealing with ELEX SYSTEM and I've found to be safe--

On JL entry IMMEDIATELY PUST BUTTON TO "RUN" then put in NEUTRAL put on seat belt-----then depress clutch/WHILE depressing BRAKE and firmly push button to start!

At the same time I push the ESS button--one move !

Safe and sound-

W.E.

JIMBO

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Posted this in General, but should have been here. Sorry for the duplicate message.

Went to run an errand yesterday and when I got back into my JL, pushed the button to start and the engine didn't turn over.

The instrument cluster turned on and the Uconnect screen turned on, but nothing else.

I have a manual and had the clutch in and foot on the break.

Had to turn it off 3 times and finally on the 4th try, it kicked over. Never saw this before.

Anyone else seeing this?

This just happened to me as well. Mine (manual JLU Sport S) did the exact same thing, but unfortunately mine wouldn't crank at all. Had it towed to the dealership. I called to get an update and apparently they opened a "start case(?)" with Chrysler, and are waiting for a call back. So I'm assuming they don't know what's wrong with it. A couple weeks before this, the auto engine start/stop stopped working and I had that warning light on my dash for awhile. Maybe they're correlated? Either way, I'm indefinitely driving a white Compass now. I will update when I hear anything back in case it happens to you again. Pretty bummed.

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
This just happened to me as well. Mine (manual JLU Sport S) did the exact same thing, but unfortunately mine wouldn't crank at all. Had it towed to the dealership. I called to get an update and apparently they opened a "start case(?)" with Chrysler, and are waiting for a call back. So I'm assuming they don't know what's wrong with it. A couple weeks before this, the auto engine start/stop stopped working and I had that warning light on my dash for awhile. Maybe they're correlated? Either way, I'm indefinitely driving a white Compass now. I will update when I hear anything back in case it happens to you again. Pretty bummed.
Update:
So the codes from the check engine light were for low voltage. The tech said they charged it overnight, and it runs and drives. He asked that I let them keep it on the charger for one more night, so I let them. Doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the battery since I only have about 7100 miles on it. It was unclear if Chrysler was going to let them stick a new battery in there, but I will confirm tomorrow when I can (hopefully) pick it up.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Update:
So the codes from the check engine light were for low voltage. The tech said they charged it overnight, and it runs and drives. He asked that I let them keep it on the charger for one more night, so I let them. Doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the battery since I only have about 7100 miles on it. It was unclear if Chrysler was going to let them stick a new battery in there, but I will confirm tomorrow when I can (hopefully) pick it up.
Batteries don’t go low for no reason. They’ll be seeing your jeep again if they don’t do any more troubleshooting.

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Batteries don’t go low for no reason. They’ll be seeing your jeep again if they don’t do any more troubleshooting.
My thoughts exactly. Hoping I can drive that point hard enough that they give me a new battery, or take another look at the alternator.
Sponsored