Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beat up old VW Passat
I always laugh when I hear people consider the OEM steel bumper "heavy duty" because I think of the Kaiser Jeep 5-ton's bumper as "heavy duty" and the Mopar bumper is just thin steel compared to it.

Glad your Jeep didn't get that much damage. Hope there's nothing unforseen
It doesn't take much to be more heavy duty than a couple pieces of flimsy facade plastic.
Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
For anyone on the fence about upgrading to the steel bumpers (or for anyone tired of hearing about low scores from the crash rating folks) I present to you these images from an accident I was involved with yesterday. A 79-year-old lady cut INTO the left-turn lane at an intersection, blew through the red light and popped my front driver side corner. Needless to say, after examining both vehicles this morning, I'm shocked at the results.

We both have Progressive insurance, and since all my parts were MOPAR I'm going to insist that all the replacements are as well. I presume that the shop can get it back to "almost new" shape, I'm just bummed about losing resale value since my CarFax will now show an accident with airbag deployment. What say you community? Would you buy a used JL that had been repaired after a hard bump?

IMG_1712.jpeg
IMG_1705.jpeg
IMG_1702.jpeg
IMG_6642.jpeg
Insist on diminished value compensation from Progressive. Insurance HAS to pay it out; the amount, however, is not set in law. I recently did this with my wife’s van before we traded it for her 2020 Sahara. I hired an attorney to get the most I could on diminished value. That was a complete waste of time and a waste of a few dollars.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

People often mistakenly believe that if their vehicle survives an accident without folding up they are better off. In reality, a vehicle that absorbs the impact better usually sustains more damage but lessens the impact the occupants have to absorb. Crumple zones are used for a reason.
OP's crumple zone was in the Equinox :LOL:

Hilaryl1983

First Name
Hilary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ocean blue Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon
For anyone on the fence about upgrading to the steel bumpers (or for anyone tired of hearing about low scores from the crash rating folks) I present to you these images from an accident I was involved with yesterday. A 79-year-old lady cut INTO the left-turn lane at an intersection, blew through the red light and popped my front driver side corner. Needless to say, after examining both vehicles this morning, I'm shocked at the results.

We both have Progressive insurance, and since all my parts were MOPAR I'm going to insist that all the replacements are as well. I presume that the shop can get it back to "almost new" shape, I'm just bummed about losing resale value since my CarFax will now show an accident with airbag deployment. What say you community? Would you buy a used JL that had been repaired after a hard bump?

IMG_1712.jpeg
IMG_1705.jpeg
IMG_1702.jpeg
IMG_6642.jpeg
Wow! This is definitely a testament to the durability of the steel bumper package!! Glad I also have these!!

Trollboogie

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Hellayella, 2021 Mojave, 2006 GTO
Occupation
Machinist
I have been told that adding the winch plate to the bumper really helps to strengthen the front.

Sponsored

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
CarFax is a pain in the "fax" !!!

I had a 2010 Liberty rear ended, very little damage mostly the trailer hitch and plastic rear bumper with rear back up beepers probably could have all myself for a couple hundred, bumper OK just scuffed. Decided that I'd have a body shop (a good one) do the repairs seeing it was someone elses insurance company paying! Came with all new Jeep parts to just under 4k!! Nice job though, except when I went to trade, yup you guessed it was a 4k degrade on trade that I wanted cuz it had a CarFax!!!

Finally got my original dealer to eat all but 1000. and did the trade. They did say even though low mileage and perfect they'd have to wholesale it?????? I never found out who CarFaxed it, body shop swears no says it actually was my own insurance company!!!!

I think if you investigate some vehicles with a CarFax can be fine, like your Jeep but the trade will suffer no matter how slight and well fixed! CarFax really give you a good Faxin' !! LOL Not very funny but true!

Go Jeep!!!

runningshoes

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
CarFax is a pain in the "fax" !!!
Finally got my original dealer to eat all but 1000. and did the trade. They did say even though low mileage and perfect they'd have to wholesale it?????? I never found out who CarFaxed it, body shop swears no says it actually was my own insurance company!!!!
Go Jeep!!!
I think that there's a legal requirement in most states to report any accident that causes damage valued at more than $X, and that number changes by state, but it doesn't take much. Illinois was $2k a few years ago. With all the electronics embedded in bumpers today, that's enough to trigger the CarFax reporting.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer

IMG_1712.jpeg
IMG_1705.jpeg
IMG_1702.jpeg
IMG_6642.jpeg
first. Glad you are ok and werent seriously injured.

second, give yourself a day to determine if you are injured. At all. even if you feel tweaked and sore, claim it. Youre tweaked and sore because she was an idiot. Im not saying claim something false. Or overly milk something false. Im saying claim everything thats actual and real.

next you must absolutely push for diminished value of your property with their insurance. Get a lawyer and have them send a representational letter to her insurance company outlining your expectations.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
You could say perhaps the equinox absorbed all the damage. But the fact that your airbags went off is a little troublesome. Your Jeep did receive quite some energy for the airbags to deploy, so I would think all the damage is in the frame or your internal body, or both. Get checked by a doctor. That equinox is far gone, but look how intact the cabin is, that lady probably didn't feel much as the vehicle absorbed all the energy.

I would never buy a vehicle that has been in an accident. If I was short on money I would consider it, but I don't really buy used vehicles anymore anyway.

Last edited:

Blueeyedme

First Name
DanO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
Glad you are ok! With regard to the value after reportable collision, you Jeep is absolutely worth less. Personally, I would not consider any vehicle with damage history unless substantially discounted. Even then, I would opt to pay more for an undamaged one.

Sponsored

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Glad you are ok! With regard to the value after reportable collision, you Jeep is absolutely worth less. Personally, I would not consider any vehicle with damage history unless substantially discounted. Even then, I would opt to pay more for an undamaged one.
I steer away from vehicles that have been in an accident as well, but particularly would from one as highly produced as the Wrangler. They are so plentiful that why would anyone chose one with an accident history when there are so many clean ones?

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
OP's crumple zone was in the Equinox :LOL:
This time it was.
The next time it could be a truck with a stronger bumper and the crumple zone won’t be the Jeep it will be the occupants.

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Looking at this it appears your frame is likely bent in the front (frame legs shifted towards passenger side. The central bolt on the bumper should be in line with the central grille opening.

$10 says it is a 10k+ repair, if not totaled for frame damage. I would push for a total, as I would not want a vehicle back after a frame swap, but that is just me.

JMurph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara

IMG_1712.jpeg
IMG_1705.jpeg
IMG_1702.jpeg
IMG_6642.jpeg
I T-boned a Volvo that turned left in front of me in an intersection. $27,000 w/bent frame. I got a frame swap 😣, the insurance company would not total it. First they said just the front clip was bent. As they kept taking things off, they determined the whole gram was bent. It took them 3 weeks to find that out. It was one month waiting for the frame.
Sponsored