First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
For anyone on the fence about upgrading to the steel bumpers (or for anyone tired of hearing about low scores from the crash rating folks) I present to you these images from an accident I was involved with yesterday. A 79-year-old lady cut INTO the left-turn lane at an intersection, blew through the red light and popped my front driver side corner. Needless to say, after examining both vehicles this morning, I'm shocked at the results.

We both have Progressive insurance, and since all my parts were MOPAR I'm going to insist that all the replacements are as well. I presume that the shop can get it back to "almost new" shape, I'm just bummed about losing resale value since my CarFax will now show an accident with airbag deployment. What say you community? Would you buy a used JL that had been repaired after a hard bump?

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU vs Equinox shows steel bumper strength IMG_1712
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU vs Equinox shows steel bumper strength IMG_1705
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU vs Equinox shows steel bumper strength IMG_1702
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU vs Equinox shows steel bumper strength IMG_6642
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
What else did she hit? No way was all of the damage on the Equinox from your Jeep.

It's hard to see in the photo, but how did the bumper bar hold up? What brand bar is that (assuming Mopar since you said all of the parts were)? And is there any damage to the winch?

If it interests you, you could ask whichever body shop you use to replace the bumper with an aftermarket unit. I rolled a TJ several years ago and asked to replace the damaged factory soft top with an aftermarket unit. They said yes since it was cheaper than a factory replacement.

You could ask Progressive for a settlement, above repair costs, to off set the reduction in value due to the crash.

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

What else did she hit? No way was all of the damage on the Equinox from your Jeep.

It's hard to see in the photo, but how did the bumper bar hold up? What brand bar is that (assuming Mopar since you said all of the parts were)? And is there any damage to the winch?

If it interests you, you could ask whichever body shop you use to replace the bumper with an aftermarket unit. I rolled a TJ several years ago and asked to replace the damaged factory soft top with an aftermarket unit. They said yes since it was cheaper than a factory replacement.

You could ask Progressive for a settlement, above repair costs, to off set the reduction in value due to the crash.
I bet it is all from the JL. I ripped the front off a Cadillac Catera with my YJ years ago (not my fault). I drove away with a scratch on my rear fender.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
For anyone on the fence about upgrading to the steel bumpers (or for anyone tired of hearing about low scores from the crash rating folks) I present to you these images from an accident I was involved with yesterday. A 79-year-old lady cut INTO the left-turn lane at an intersection, blew through the red light and popped my front driver side corner. Needless to say, after examining both vehicles this morning, I'm shocked at the results.

We both have Progressive insurance, and since all my parts were MOPAR I'm going to insist that all the replacements are as well. I presume that the shop can get it back to "almost new" shape, I'm just bummed about losing resale value since my CarFax will now show an accident with airbag deployment. What say you community? Would you buy a used JL that had been repaired after a hard bump?

Yet another reason for me to be comfortable with the fact that I had factory ordered my JLUR with Steel Bumpers back in the day despite criticism from my family. Glad to know you are ok and hope the 79 year old also left ok.

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I always laugh when I hear people consider the OEM steel bumper "heavy duty" because I think of the Kaiser Jeep 5-ton's bumper as "heavy duty" and the Mopar bumper is just thin steel compared to it.

Glad your Jeep didn't get that much damage. Hope there's nothing unforseen

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
What say you community? Would you buy a used JL that had been repaired after a hard bump?
Glad to hear that you walked away in one piece, and hopefully everyone else did too. With regards to your question, when looking for a used vehicle, I personally filter out those that don't have a clean car fax, an accident puts me off (Even if its something that may have been repaired easily with new parts).

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
People often mistakenly believe that if their vehicle survives an accident without folding up they are better off. In reality, a vehicle that absorbs the impact better usually sustains more damage but lessens the impact the occupants have to absorb. Crumple zones are used for a reason.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
People often mistakenly believe that if their vehicle survives an accident without folding up they are better off. In reality, a vehicle that absorbs the impact better usually sustains more damage but lessens the impact the occupants have to absorb. Crumple zones are used for a reason.
True, but I think momentum complicates things. A small vehicle like a crossover or sedan/coupe needs to crumple because it will be the one to change directions and place the occupant under a big impulse (I think that's the physics word). Crumple zones mitigate this impulse to make it manageable for the occupant. The larger vehicle like a truck or wrangler will just keep going unless it hits something its own size or larger, thus it won't crumple until it finds something big.

This is also why insurance is so much lower on a truck or wrangler. My wife's truck was worth 3 of my cars, but insurance was cheaper. I didn't understand until I learned that injury costs are the primary driver of insurance costs. Big vehicle, fewer injuries, lower insurance. Small car, cheap to replace, but more/worse injuries means higher insurance cost.

Glad @TheRealTVGuy is ok, hope the equinox earned its rating and protected the other person. Cars are replaceable, a functioning spine is not.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.

Obviously I agree.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ng-on-ordering-the-steel-bumper-option.44772/

Sponsored

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
My plastic bumper had a few scratches when I rear ended a small little toyota car. The car was totaled. Rear bumper in the back seat. I had a few scratches on my plastic bumper and one little scratch on the grille. Less to do with the bumper material than a truck frame versus a unibody with crumple zones.

That said, glad you were ok, guessing 79 year old was ok too. One too many gins before she took off through that intersection!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'm just bummed about losing resale value since my CarFax will now show an accident with airbag deployment.
Maybe not. I had body shop repairs (but no airbag deployed) on two previous vehicles. Nothing showed up on CarFax.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
I bet it is all from the JL. I ripped the front off a Cadillac Catera with my YJ years ago (not my fault). I drove away with a scratch on my rear fender.
Please, please by careful. Cadillac is trying to forget the Catera and do not want anyone to know they actually made that rebadged European trash unit.
Just whisper!

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Glad you're ok. But just because the bumper takes it like a champ doesn't mean your frame or something didn't suffer somewhere else. Make sure you get everything thoroughly checked, which I'm sure you will.
Sponsored