Sponsored

JLU Sport to JLU Rubicon suspension conversion

MojitoTurbo

First Name
TOM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito Wrangler Unlimited Turbo, 1996 Mystic Cobra, 2001 Electric Green Cobra, 2004 Mystichrome Cobra
So, I have a 2018 JLU Sport and want to convert the suspension and wheel to what came stock on the JLU Rubicons. As far as the suspension goes, what do I need? I remember on my old 2012 JK I just bought the stiffest springs for a JKU and it raised my 2 door quite a bit with the stock shocks.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Shocks and springs, as far as I can tell. Lots of different part numbers for the springs though, not sure which is right.

MyJlU

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Sport
Occupation
Sr Product Line Researcher
Vehicle Showcase
I did the swap, JLUR springs, shocks gave me 1.5 inches. If you need the part numbers I have them at my garage and can get them for you.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I did the swap, JLUR springs, shocks gave me 1.5 inches. If you need the part numbers I have them at my garage and can get them for you.
How did you decide which springs to use? Did you just purchase a set of someone’s takeoffs?

MyJlU

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Sport
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4
You should look into rubicon take offs. Specifically you’ll need the shocks and springs but take offs may include sway bar links and lower control arms but you don’t need to replace those (they’re the same between models).

I bought mine off eBay and the description read it came from a Rubicon with hardtop, tow package and I don’t remember what else - but basically more features (especially hard top and tow) should result in stiffer spring meaning more lift for you. Especially true if you have a soft top.

If you don’t want to go the eBay route, or buy from someone here, Rubitrux has the stuff in stock.

https://www.rubitrux.com/factory-je...nd-steering/shopby/wrangler-jl-unlimited.html

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I installed take off rubi suspension. super easy to do. only thing is that each spring is a different height and are corner specific. other than that you just need the rubi shocks and springs nothing more or less. only took an hr to swap the systems. also note watching the abs wiring as well when you do the swap. youll have to unbolt the bracket to get a little extra room to install new larger springs. i'd check the member for sale section on the forums. You can get a set off take offs for under 250 bucks all day long

OP
OP
MojitoTurbo

MojitoTurbo

First Name
TOM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito Wrangler Unlimited Turbo, 1996 Mystic Cobra, 2001 Electric Green Cobra, 2004 Mystichrome Cobra
Thanks part numbers would be great so I can make sure I get the right ones. Do you know if the springs you have are the stiffest stock ones?

OP
OP
MojitoTurbo

MojitoTurbo

First Name
TOM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Btw, thanks for all of the help and info everyone!

Sponsored

MyJlU

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Sport
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
IF you're looking for take off parts Facebook marketplace has been littered with Rubicon take off parts in my area.

Thanks part numbers would be great so I can make sure I get the right ones. Do you know if the springs you have are the stiffest stock ones?
I will get them for you tomorrow when I go to re torque all my bolts :)

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Ive seen take offs for as low as $100.

I paid $150. Installed myself. They guy gave me a box full of parts but all you need are springs and shocks. Everything else is the same.

Basic socket set and floor jack is all you need

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
D585E6D9-C02F-4B08-93B2-61B63B6406AC.jpeg
Here is a stock Sahara spring vs Stock Rubi spring
Sponsored