Sponsored

JLU Sport - Steering Lockup/Limp mode while on the highway

Pdex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Right so...I've had my JL Unlimited Sport for a whopping one month and had less than 900 miles on it when this happened. I was driving around 55 mph on the highway on the 4th of July, when multiple chimes suddenly sounded, and the dashboard lit up like the Disneyland light parade. Multiple lights came on, including the battery and ESC malfunction indicators, then a message popped up that said:

Stop Safely
Vehicle Will Shut Off Soon

My thoughts can't be repeated here, but let's just say that I was scared out of my mind. This all happened within a very short timeframe, say less than 30 seconds.

When the Stop Safely message came on, the steering became unresponsive like the Jeep was completely off, and the throttle stopped responding. Fortunately I was in the far right lane and very close to an exit ramp. So I was somehow able to get to the offramp, I shifted to Neutral, and the steering came back. I cruised into a parking lot, and was able to safely stop.

*WHEW*

My boyfriend came to pick me up, and after the car sat for around 15 minutes, it started up again and was driveable. He kept it under 60, and said that the only weird thing that happened while he drove was the cruise control kept turning off. Since the dealer was closed for the holiday, I had it towed in the next morning.

The dealer said that a number of diagnostic codes came up, which indicated that there could be some type of electronic or relay malfunction.

Today the dealer called and said that they completed a repair for a recall which involved reprogramming the powertrain control module. They've driven it for around 30 miles, and no problems have occurred. They're going to drive it for another day, and if nothing else happens, I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Oh, but let let tell you about the other weird stuff that has has happened in the last couple of weeks before my total shut down.
1) Remote started the Jeep one day. While idling in P for about 2 minutes, the engine cut off on its own. I went through this cycle a few more times, and each time the engine just cut off. Also, when I would start the engine, the ESC malfunction light came on and stayed on. After around the 4th time of this happening, I started the Jeep, put it into D, and drove for about 5 feet, and then the ESC light went off, and the engine stayed on. WEIRD.

2) After coming to a full stop one day, the auto start/stop kicked in, and turned off the engine as expected. I took my foot off the brake, its restarted, and I started to drive. After driving for just a few seconds (maybe 15 mph), a message popped up that said to shift the car into P, then the desired gear. So I had to shift into P, then D, while driving.

I reported all of this to the dealer, and my service advisor thinks that these problems are all most likely caused by one electrical issue. Hopefully I'll get it back tomorrow, and all will be well. This is my first Jeep ever, and I really really really hope that these don't indicate future problems.

IMG_4876.JPG
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
You are not alone. There are other reports of similar problem.

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
....when multiple chimes suddenly sounded, and the dashboard lit up like the Disneyland light parade. Multiple lights came on, including the battery and ESC malfunction indicators,......The dealer said that a number of diagnostic codes came up, which indicated that there could be some type of electronic or relay malfunction.

I reported all of this to the dealer, and my service advisor thinks that these problems are all most likely caused by one electrical issue. ...
I manage a Tech Support team for a global construction vehicle manufacturer. What you likely have is a ground issue with an ECU (computer). When an ECU cannot find a ground it will try another way to make one, resulting in numerous seemingly unrelated error codes or alarms. It's possible you have a bad (going bad) ECU, but I'd bet on a ground. The dealer tech needs to Ohm the harnesses (to check for internal short) and check connector pins (could be a loose pin or one pushed out of place).

This won't make you feel much better but you do not have a lot of issues. You have one issue which hopefully your dealer wil locate and resolve soon.

OP
OP

Pdex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I manage a Tech Support team for a global construction vehicle manufacturer. What you likely have is a ground issue with an ECU (computer). When an ECU cannot find a ground it will try another way to make one, resulting in numerous seemingly unrelated error codes or alarms. It's possible you have a bad (going bad) ECU, but I'd bet on a ground. The dealer tech needs to Ohm the harnesses (to check for internal short) and check connector pins (could be a loose pin or one pushed out of place).

This won't make you feel much better but you do not have a lot of issues. You have one issue which hopefully your dealer wil locate and resolve soon.
Thanks cabnfvr. Actually that does make me feel a little better because it doesn't sound like a major problem - like say a bad transmission. That would be the absolute worst.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Hopefully the dealer knows to make sure all the fuses and relays are properly seated and check the ground wires located on the body near the battery. Been multiple reports of poorly seated fuses and loose ground nuts.

OP
OP

Pdex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Updates
The dealer wasn't able to replicate any of the issues in my original post. They did do the repair for the cruise control recall, which was to reprogram the PCU.
The Jeep drove fine for around 10 days, then the cruise control stopped working on me last Saturday, and a few minutes later I experience a couple of very brief hard shudders, but no dashboard lights. I took it back to the dealer on Monday, they kept it for around 3 1/2 days, but couldn't find anything wrong with it.
I picked it up this afternoon, got on the freeway and had only driven about 10 miles from the dealer when there was a beep (no dashboard lights), and the throttle became completely unresponsive. Steering was ok. I cruised for about 5-10 seconds, couldn't get the gas/throttle to respond, so I put it into Neutral, then Drive, and could drive again. I was in a tight spot next to an interchange and big rigs, but eventually got into the right lane. Before I could exit the highway and pull over, the car beeped and shuddered approximately 3 or 4 more times. A partial message briefly flashed across the dashboard once, starting with "Auto park", but like I said it was very brief and it wasn't displayed long enough for me to get the whole message.

Called the dealer, and we're taking it back in the morning, This makes the third visit. At this point I want to know how to get in touch with someone from Chrysler or Jeep Cares. Does anyone have advice?

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
Updates... ... got on the freeway and had only driven about 10 miles from the dealer when there was a beep (no dashboard lights), and the throttle became completely unresponsive. Steering was ok. I cruised for about 5-10 seconds, couldn't get the gas/throttle to respond, so I put it into Neutral, then Drive, and could drive again. I was in a tight spot next to an interchange and big rigs, but eventually got into the right lane. ...
It will be difficult to troubleshoot but your dealer just isn't trying hard enough. :headbang: The problem is a ground, harness short (tech should look for pinched harness and connector pins) or a bad ECU. We do this every day. It's a pain troubleshooting electrical gremlins but it can be done!!

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Updates
This makes the third visit. At this point I want to know how to get in touch with someone from Chrysler or Jeep Cares. Does anyone have advice?
Third time makes it a lemon in most states.
Sponsored