Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Quoted for truth.

One of the reasons i went with the Rubicon is because when i built a loaded Sport S with what i wanted (automatic, anti-spin diff, tech grp, convenience grp, cold weather grp, hard top, alpine, headliner, leather) i was already at $46K and i'd still be without the 8.4in screen, proximity and have the ugly (in my opinion) wheels.

Then i said, "ok, at $46K on a Sport S, how much is the bump to a Sahara", and built one with automatic tranny, anti-spin diff, select-trac, cold weather, 8.4" / premium audio, active safety group, hard top, leather, headliner, remote start and proximity key and it came to $50.4K, so $2.5K less than what my Rubicon build was with the same packages/options. At that point i just made the decision to go for the Rubicon. To me, the $7K jump from Sport S to Rubicon was worth it.

Options and packages add up SUPER QUICK in these JLs but if you don't care too much for them and go more towards base builds, the Sport S makes a lot of sense.
The wheels and a/t tires on the Sahara were off my my jeep within 12 hours of getting home. I had a set of Rubi takeoffs in the garage waiting. So that was another $1200 on top of my build. In the end I could have easily purchased a Rubicon for what I spent, but knew what I wanted and would use.

Those Sahara wheel/tires had to go though. At least I got something back when I sold them.
Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Personally, I have mild Rubicon regret too. The swaybar/lockers are cool, but not something I need. I didn't buy a Rubicon this time around(owned a 2014 JKU Sport S since it was brand new) as I figured to save $$$ and just regear down the road. The 4.10 gears were the only thing I was really interested in on a Rubicon. The thing is I didn't research a Rubicon hard enough. I thought they came with 255/75/17 sized tires, and not 33's. I wasn't aware they changed the fenders either to accommodate 35's. Had I known this, I would've went with a Rubicon.

With that said, it's not a big deal. When the warranty is over in 2022, I'd going to put on a quality lift with good shocks and 35's with a regear to 4.56. All will be good then and done exactly how I want. Just these few years I'll be running 33's on 3.45, not 4.10.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Personally, I have mild Rubicon regret too. The swaybar/lockers are cool, but not something I need. I didn't buy a Rubicon this time around(owned a 2014 JKU Sport S since it was brand new) as I figured to save $$$ and just regear down the road. The 4.10 gears were the only thing I was really interested in on a Rubicon. The thing is I didn't research a Rubicon hard enough. I thought they came with 255/75/17 sized tires, and not 33's. I wasn't aware they changed the fenders either to accommodate 35's. Had I known this, I would've went with a Rubicon.

With that said, it's not a big deal. When the warranty is over in 2022, I'd going to put on a quality lift with good shocks and 35's with a regear to 4.56. All will be good then and done exactly how I want. Just these few years I'll be running 33's on 3.45, not 4.10.
Very similar to you in regret. My sticking point was the Selec-trac full-time. I thought I would find it more useful than the Rubi-specific options. I love the Selec-trac and don't regret getting a Sahara but still wish I had opted for a Rubicon. I did some mild wheeling this past weekend and the LSD and BLD performed really well but having lockers and electronic disconnects would've been nice.

Regardless, I'm a happy Jeeper and at some point we will have options for lockers, so we can get close to being a Rubicon if desired.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I've been tossing around the idea of getting a new JLU. I currently have a 2014 JKUR. For those with the Sport and Saharas, how would the redesign of the JL drive train compare to the JKUR? I really don't want to downgrade from a Rubi, but with the price of the new JLs I won't be able to touch one. Even a Sahara might be pushing my price limit unless I can find a good deal on one.

Just curious on others thoughts that have gone from a JK to the JL.
Sounds like your budget is a Sport model. Get a 2018 JL sport. You can upgrade it when needed. Unless you are rock climbing, the Sport will do most anything you want it to do.

PadreFreddie

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Alfredo Marrero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door, 3.6 manual
Do the numbers on a JLUR with several dealers and pick the best deal. Don't step down from a Rubicon, any dealer will be able to show you more money for your Rubicon if you're getting another Rubicon. Or better yet, if you know that you have positive equity, have it appraised by Carmax and see how much they offer you for your JLUR. You will be better off than trading it in. Just my two cents and good luck!

Dansjeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Went from a JKUR to a JLUR and have to say hands down JL is better in just about every aspect for me. My two huge negatives about the jl is I wish the drivers seat could go down further ( wished this on jk also) and the grab handle location I hit my head a few times getting in. Other then those I think you will love the new jl.

lockers are not a must if you only drive in jersey but most of us don’t and if you don’t I would try to get a rubi maybe hold off a little longer and save more funds.
Sponsored