JLU Sport/Sahara

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I've been tossing around the idea of getting a new JLU. I currently have a 2014 JKUR. For those with the Sport and Saharas, how would the redesign of the JL drive train compare to the JKUR? I really don't want to downgrade from a Rubi, but with the price of the new JLs I won't be able to touch one. Even a Sahara might be pushing my price limit unless I can find a good deal on one.

Just curious on others thoughts that have gone from a JK to the JL.
JK interior is superior. Better seats, more room (objectively by the numbers, as well as by feel), nicer on long trips.

As far as the driveline is concerned, JL is superior. 3.45 axle standard, vs. 3.21s. 8-speed auto vs. 4 or 5-speed autos on JKs. Advantek 35 and 44 rear axles on all Sport/Sahara models vs. the Gen 2 axle under the JKs. Upgraded brakes. Upgraded steering joints and linkages. JL is just better front to rear if you're talking driveline. The only thing that's been a problem for some is the switch to ball bearing rollers in the pinion. The pinion bearings are apparently not as robust as before. The goal of the Advantek axles was to reduce friction and increase fuel efficiency.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
JK interior is superior. Better seats, more room (objectively by the numbers, as well as by feel), nicer on long trips.

As far as the driveline is concerned, JL is superior. 3.45 axle standard, vs. 3.21s. 8-speed auto vs. 4 or 5-speed autos on JKs. Advantek 35 and 44 rear axles on all Sport/Sahara models vs. the Gen 2 axle under the JKs. Upgraded brakes. Upgraded steering joints and linkages. JL is just better front to rear if you're talking driveline. The only thing that's been a problem for some is the switch to ball bearing rollers in the pinion. The pinion bearings are apparently not as robust as before. The goal of the Advantek axles was to reduce friction and increase fuel efficiency.
JK interior is superior.
Subjective.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I'm sorry but I don't care what the JKUR has etc, the JL in any trim level is a way better JEEP IMO.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Subjective.
Nope, subjective means that something is up to interpretation. There's nothing subjective about the JL losing inches of hip and shoulder room and cubic feet of overall passenger volume.

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I've been tossing around the idea of getting a new JLU. I currently have a 2014 JKUR. For those with the Sport and Saharas, how would the redesign of the JL drive train compare to the JKUR? I really don't want to downgrade from a Rubi, but with the price of the new JLs I won't be able to touch one. Even a Sahara might be pushing my price limit unless I can find a good deal on one.

Just curious on others thoughts that have gone from a JK to the JL.
I didn't go from a JK to a JL, but I would say this. If you truly want a Rubicon, I wouldn't get something on a lower trim. Especially if you read forums like this. It's easy to feel like you are missing out on something, and I imagine once you've decided to get a Rubicon, you'd be hard pressed to get something different. You have to be really sure of what you want.

I also wouldn't recommend a JLUS, and that's what I bought. You're within shouting distance of a Rubicon at that point, and with a Sahara I would recommend getting the LSD, putting you even closer to the Rubi price. You're paying for upgraded interior and a couple minor things over the sport s. I went with Sahara to get Selec Trac and led's (among other things). That doesn't sound like your cup of tea. A Sport S sounds like it may make more sense.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Nope, subjective means that something is up to interpretation. There's nothing subjective about the JL losing inches of hip and shoulder room and cubic feet of overall passenger volume.
And for someone whose ass doesn’t hang over the sides of the seat, the slightly reduced dimensions don’t affect them. Therefore, it is subjective to say that the JK interior is “superior”. You can say it’s “larger” and be accurate, but not superior.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I'm sorry but I don't care what the JKUR has etc, the JL in any trim level is a way better JEEP IMO.
JKUR has the same mechanical bits that make a JLUR. Front and rear Dana 44's with e-lockers, 4:1 transfer case, 4.10 gears and electronic disconnect front sway bar.

Rubicon is a Rubicon, a JK could leave a JL in any other trim level behind on the trial.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The idea that 30<44 => JK rubi>JL Sahara/sport isn’t specific enough.

The new JL axles are stronger than the old 30’s, and you can dig around to find exact numbers to compare to your old D44’s on your JK.

However, you can’t neglect the impact of the transmission change in the JL. Unless you’re looking at a manual, of course, which almost nobody seems to like. The 8 speed auto is fantastic and blows the JK’s awful 4 speed out of the water.
So true. The 8 speed is lightyears better then the old 5 speed JK trans in my '15 JK. Completely transforms how it drives.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
JKUR has the same mechanical bits that make a JLUR. Front and rear Dana 44's with e-lockers, 4:1 transfer case, 4.10 gears and electronic disconnect front sway bar.

Rubicon is a Rubicon, a JK could leave a JL in any other trim level behind on the trial.
The JL Rubicon has different Dana 44’s than the JK Rubicon, though I’m not sure how relevant that is.

Since OP seems to want to save money, I don’t think he should trade up to a JL unless he’s having problems with his JK.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
A lot of mis-information here, hopefully I can sum everything up here:

Sport/Sahara with manual transmission, you will get D44 (non-wide) rear axle
Sahara with Anti-Spin Differential(Trac-Lok), you will get D44(non-wide) rear axle.

Sahara with Selec-Trac, you will get CV joints up front, which IMO is better than the U-joints from Sport/Rubicon.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
I didn't go from a JK to a JL, but I would say this. If you truly want a Rubicon, I wouldn't get something on a lower trim. Especially if you read forums like this. It's easy to feel like you are missing out on something, and I imagine once you've decided to get a Rubicon, you'd be hard pressed to get something different. You have to be really sure of what you want.

I also wouldn't recommend a JLUS, and that's what I bought. You're within shouting distance of a Rubicon at that point, and with a Sahara I would recommend getting the LSD, putting you even closer to the Rubi price. You're paying for upgraded interior and a couple minor things over the sport s. I went with Sahara to get Selec Trac and led's (among other things). That doesn't sound like your cup of tea. A Sport S sounds like it may make more sense.
Quoted for truth.

One of the reasons i went with the Rubicon is because when i built a loaded Sport S with what i wanted (automatic, anti-spin diff, tech grp, convenience grp, cold weather grp, hard top, alpine, headliner, leather) i was already at $46K and i'd still be without the 8.4in screen, proximity and have the ugly (in my opinion) wheels.

Then i said, "ok, at $46K on a Sport S, how much is the bump to a Sahara", and built one with automatic tranny, anti-spin diff, select-trac, cold weather, 8.4" / premium audio, active safety group, hard top, leather, headliner, remote start and proximity key and it came to $50.4K, so $2.5K less than what my Rubicon build was with the same packages/options. At that point i just made the decision to go for the Rubicon. To me, the $7K jump from Sport S to Rubicon was worth it.

Options and packages add up SUPER QUICK in these JLs but if you don't care too much for them and go more towards base builds, the Sport S makes a lot of sense.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Quoted for truth.

One of the reasons i went with the Rubicon is because when i built a loaded Sport S with what i wanted (automatic, anti-spin diff, tech grp, convenience grp, cold weather grp, hard top, alpine, headliner, leather) i was already at $46K and i'd still be without the 8.4in screen, proximity and have the ugly (in my opinion) wheels.

Then i said, "ok, at $46K on a Sport S, how much is the bump to a Sahara", and built one with automatic tranny, anti-spin diff, select-trac, cold weather, 8.4" / premium audio, active safety group, hard top, leather, headliner, remote start and proximity key and it came to $50.4K, so $2.5K less than what my Rubicon build was with the same packages/options. At that point i just made the decision to go for the Rubicon. To me, the $7K jump from Sport S to Rubicon was worth it.

Options and packages add up SUPER QUICK in these JLs but if you don't care too much for them and go more towards base builds, the Sport S makes a lot of sense.
Quoted for truth.
Sponsored