Sponsored

JLU Sport S - Rubicon suspension - Shock upgrade?

rangerrotty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Good morning all! I hope you are all safe and healthy.

I have a 2018 JLU Sport S that I will be installing a full Rubicon take off suspension. My question is, instead of going with the stock shocks, what have people been going with? When shopping for shocks, is there a difference between Sport S and Rubicon shocks (length)?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase

I have a 2018 JLU Sport S that I will be installing a full Rubicon take off suspension. My question is, instead of going with the stock shocks, what have people been going with? When shopping for shocks, is there a difference between Sport S and Rubicon shocks (length)?

Thanks in advance!
The rubicon shocks are at least a couple of inches longer than the stock Sport shocks. I did not measure the difference before I installed the set on my JLU. I'm sure someone on the forum has taken the time to measure them.

After installation my JLU sits 1.5" higher all around. Love the ride much better too!

OP
OP
rangerrotty

rangerrotty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
So, are people that have swapped Sport/Sahara suspension for Rubi just continued to use the Rubi shocks? Or would you have suggestions for upgrades? I figure, it'll be up in the air so now is the best time...

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I, and everyone I know, just installed the Rubicon shocks.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
So, are people that have swapped Sport/Sahara suspension for Rubi just continued to use the Rubi shocks? Or would you have suggestions for upgrades? I figure, it'll be up in the air so now is the best time...
Most seem to stick with Rubicon springs and shocks. If looking for a further upgrade to the Rubicon shocks, it makes more sense to also upgrade the springs and all else that follows.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Fox makes a shock for 0-2" lift which could be interesting. But seriously the Rubicon shocks are a huge upgrade over the Sport shocks. You'll see they are way beefier.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Shocks are simple to change if you feel the need, much easier than the springs :)
Ride w/ the Rubis for the time being and if you want to upgrade it's a simple 45 min job.

richardxrs

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport

Thanks in advance!
Itā€™s been a year now since Iā€™ve swapped to Rubicon suspension and I love it. I did install a 1ā€ inch coil terraflex spacer to level out the front and it looks perfect. I made sure to get the rubicon that had the steel bumpers/ towing package , in that it gives the most lift. I got around 2ā€ inches in the rear and now 2.5ā€ at the front. The ride is perfect and I find no need to upgrade suspension in the future for my jlu sport. At $160, on a budget, you shouldnā€™t go wrong.
I also purchased sport s aluminum stock wheels, pathfinder atā€™s 285/70/17 at discount tire for $148 each and was surprised to see each wheel/tire combo weighing in at 64lbs on scale. Sport runs great, tempting to go 35ā€™s but adding another 40+ lbs to each wheel for looks, doesnā€™t make sense to me imo. When I wear out my stock axles Iā€™ll swap to rubiconā€™s then go to 35ā€™s.

Sponsored

mbartelt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I just bought Rubicon takeoffs for my JLUS. I'm going to use them until I can afford the 2.5" Teraflex lift with the Falcon 3.3's.

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
I did a sport-s suspension to Rubicon swap last weekend and include the Mopar lift LCA's. I'm using the stock rubicon shocks and i'm super happy with it. Just got the jeep back from the shop for an alignment. Caster is at 5.5. Overall I got just about 2" all around. A little more in the front.

For Rubicon springs I had 60/61 and 90/91.

Best of luck! It's worth it.
Sponsored