Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JlU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone figured out a way to lower the stock JLU Sahara side steps? I like the look of them, they’re just not very functional as a step up to get in.
Sponsored

Joeymon1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Can't imagine anyone using them as a step up. They are the same height as the step in.
In sloppy weather my left pant leg gets dirty. Pretty much all winter long.
They do look nice and they might keep a lot of crud off the side of the jeep.

OP
OP
Leftwork

Leftwork

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JlU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Can't imagine anyone using them as a step up. They are the same height as the step in.
In sloppy weather my left pant leg gets dirty. Pretty much all winter long.
They do look nice and they might keep a lot of crud off the side of the jeep.
That’s exactly my point. They’re great as mud flaps and look good but are placed way to high to be a step.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Great color btw. I completely understand your point if your Sahara is pretty much stock.

Add a lift and 35s and the side step becomes more functional as such. You also then realize that there is some difference between the step in height and the side step.

Before:
DEBAF617-8F04-4425-B98B-11729EA5CDEE.jpeg

After: Adding 2” Mopar lift, 20” with 35” tires. 35s are TOYO Open Country A/T II XTREME (35X12.50RTLT). Total elevation change of the side step is 5.5”. Problem solved. ;-)
6240A11D-7C56-4EB4-B8F0-63E7A3145517.jpeg

OP
OP
Leftwork

Leftwork

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JlU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Great color btw. I completely understand your point if your Sahara is pretty much stock.

Add a lift and 35s and the side step becomes more functional as such. You also then realize that there is some difference between the step in height and the side step.

Before:
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Sahara Side Steps 6240A11D-7C56-4EB4-B8F0-63E7A3145517

After: Adding 2” Mopar lift, 20” with 35” tires. 35s are TOYO Open Country A/T II XTREME (35X12.50RTLT). Total elevation change of the side step is 5.5”. Problem solved. ;-)
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Sahara Side Steps 6240A11D-7C56-4EB4-B8F0-63E7A3145517
Great looking Jeep! I’m unclear on what you are suggesting. Are you saying that post-lift the step becomes more functional, even though the step did not change in relation to the step in height of the cabin floor?

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Great looking Jeep! I’m unclear on what you are suggesting. Are you saying that post-lift the step becomes more functional, even though the step did not change in relation to the step in height of the cabin floor?
Thanks for comment. I am very pleased with it. It’s my DD and the most enjoyable ride that I have ever owned.

Concerning my comment.... Yes. Basically that is my point. Like you I felt that the rail height vs step into the Jeep was pretty much pointless. However, with the added height both me and my wife use them every time we get in the Jeep. The rail sets now at my knee height.

I know that is not what you point / question was but I do find it more useful now that the step in height is higher.

Also a point that you made I agree with 100%. I find that having that extension full distance wheel to wheel cuts down considerably on the mud on the Jeep. Not entirely but it REALLY cuts down on the rocks being thrown up against the sides. My tires are ATs so they tend to be “rock collectors”.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Sponsored