JLU Sahara Rock Crawling build?

NVS

First Name
Nolan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU
New to Jeeps here. I was gifted a 2018 JLU Sahara since my father bought himself a Gladiator Rubicon to replace it. I know a lot of people would suggest just getting a Rubi if you plan on doing heavy off-roading/rock crawling but that wasn't really an option since this was a gift and I love it.

So far we've done a couple black diamond trails in Hollister CA and I've been able to keep up for the most part but am looking to take it to the next level with a bit more rock crawling. This is still a daily for me so I'd want to keep that in mind.

I've added Rubicon take-off wheels/tires + rock rails. What are the logical next steps? How necessary are lockers?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Get a pair of quick disconnect sway-bar links.
And then maybe a good set of longer travel suspension+links.
Bigger and more grabby tires could help too.

Articulation > Lockers

And finally, just pick a better line, you aren't missing out much.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a rear LSD? If not, you may want to consider adding an LSD or a locker to the rear.

Z&KOJL

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Welcome to Jeeps! A Sahara or sport will do a lot more than you would imagine with carful lines and good driving.

If you love the one you have nothing wrong with building it up. Rubi take off axles are a good option if you decide you want the bigger axles/lockers and they seem to be pretty readily available in CA.

Anyone can buy a rubicon, your Sahara can be built for a reasonable amount to be way more capable.

OP
OP

NVS

First Name
Nolan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU
Get a pair of quick disconnect sway-bar links.
And then maybe a good set of longer travel suspension+links.
Bigger and more grabby tires could help too.

Articulation > Lockers

And finally, just pick a better line, you aren't missing out much.
Great! I was pretty curious about how necessary lockers would be considering we've done some pretty gnarly trails without lockers. I have had a couple wheels off the ground time and time again though so definitely think that's a good call.

Sponsored

OP
OP

NVS

First Name
Nolan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU
Do you have a rear LSD? If not, you may want to consider adding an LSD or a locker to the rear.
I don't have a rear LSD unfortunately. Is it worth just waiting until I have the need for bigger axels? I dont think I'd be able to go much bigger than 35" tires right now or else it wont fit in my city garage hah

OP
OP

NVS

First Name
Nolan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU
Welcome to Jeeps! A Sahara or sport will do a lot more than you would imagine with carful lines and good driving.

If you love the one you have nothing wrong with building it up. Rubi take off axles are a good option if you decide you want the bigger axles/lockers and they seem to be pretty readily available in CA.

Anyone can buy a rubicon, your Sahara can be built for a reasonable amount to be way more capable.
Thank you! Yes, I was very surprised that I was able to stay with the Rubis (although not as easily) up some of the black diamond trails. If I did get some Rubi takeoff axels, would the OEM electronic lockers work or would I need to rewire some aftermarket?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have a rear LSD unfortunately. Is it worth just waiting until I have the need for bigger axels? I dont think I'd be able to go much bigger than 35" tires right now or else it wont fit in my city garage hah
Yeah, you have to come up with your ultimate goal and work towards that.

BTW, I wouldn't want to go much larger than 35" tires on a daily driver.

Z&KOJL

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you! Yes, I was very surprised that I was able to stay with the Rubis (although not as easily) up some of the black diamond trails. If I did get some Rubi takeoff axels, would the OEM electronic lockers work or would I need to rewire some aftermarket?
Yes they will work. From my understanding most have been buying the factory harness for the lockers and using that to wire them into an aux switch that way they have the connectors and wiring to the axle. That’s my plan once the Jeep’s paid off. Harder to find a decent used set in the Midwest though.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Yes they will work. From my understanding most have been buying the factory harness for the lockers and using that to wire them into an aux switch that way they have the connectors and wiring to the axle. That’s my plan once the Jeep’s paid off. Harder to find a decent used set in the Midwest though.
Yup I just upgraded a lot of important components on my Jeep to make it more off road ready. I added rubicon axles and bought the factory harness to connect them to my Voswitch. I also added a 2.5 ton steering. My Sahara was already doing pretty good without the Rubi axles and I had the LSD, so looking to see how it does not with the upgrades. I currently run 35s but want to run 37/38s next. I have more plans but maybe I’m the next upcoming years. I have a Dana 44 LSD in my garage if you’re interested btw ;)

Sponsored

Z&KOJL

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup I just upgraded a lot of important components on my Jeep to make it more off road ready. I added rubicon axles and bought the factory harness to connect them to my Voswitch. I also added a 2.5 ton steering. My Sahara was already doing pretty good without the Rubi axles and I had the LSD, so looking to see how it does not with the upgrades. I currently run 35s but want to run 37/38s next. I have more plans but maybe I’m the next upcoming years. I have a Dana 44 LSD in my garage if you’re interested btw ;)
Tempting.. but like you I think my next jump is to rubi axles. Besides, I kind like taking pride in making Rubicon’s look silly with my open diffs for now lol.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I'm of the mind-set lately that less mods == more enjoyment and helps you become a better driver. Lines and technique become more important.

Anyone can take a 40 inch tired monster and point it straight up the trail and go. It's those on 33 inch tires that need to be the surgeon.

So I'd leave it until it starts to limit your enjoyment significantly and then upgrade to remove that barrier.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I'm of the mind-set lately that less mods == more enjoyment and helps you become a better driver. Lines and technique become more important.

Anyone can take a 40 inch tired monster and point it straight up the trail and go. It's those on 33 inch tires that need to be the surgeon.

So I'd leave it until it starts to limit your enjoyment significantly and then upgrade to remove that barrier.
I agree.
Spending wheel time in a less equipped Jeep with make you a much, much better driver and as an added bonus, you get to smirk at the Rubicon drivers (myself included) when you do all the same obstacles as we do because of your superior driving skills.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Since you don't have the 4:1 transfer case and no lockers, I would think about how I'd want to acquire a locker front and rear system as well as lower transfer case ratio. If rock crawling is the focus, 12.50x35 tires, lift, and 4:56 gears in Dana 44s and a 4:1 tranfer case would be where I'd be looking. You can chose to find take off axles and transfer case or buy aftermarket.
Sponsored