JLU SAHARA - 33" vs 35" Tires

JLWarrior

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL RUBICON
I currently have a 2019 JLU SAHARA from the factory. I will start by saying the vehicle is primarily a daily driver with light off-roading (beach, trails, etc.). For this reason I ended up purchasing the SAHARA over RUBICON due to it’s on-road handling and capabilities. That being said, I am ready to continue to build my SAHARA with the ultimate goal of striking the balance between increased off-road capabilities with a stronger stance while also retaining the on-road comfort, handling, and noice level.

I was initially planning on purchasing a set of 33" BFG KO2s and 1" RUBICON takeoff suspension lift. However, I am now debating between going with larger lift & 35' tires.

Are there any additional considerations or risks when upgrading to 35" tires on a SAHARA JL?

I do want to be considerate of not over complicating the vehicle and having to replace multiple components (e.g. axels, gearing, controls arms, breaks, etc.) or risk future damage to the vehicle.

Appreciate the help and continued support from this group!!
Sponsored

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
At minimum to fit 35’s without any rubbing at full flex you will need to do a budget boost or full lift. I would think about swapping wheels to a 17” because tires are easier and a little cheaper than the 18”s. If you want to keep stock wheels you’ll have to run spacers to move them out away from the suspension for 35’s You’ll lose 8th gear after around 72mph but for me it wasn’t a big deal because on stock tires I lost it at 75mph anyways. I have a sport but there is no difference between sport and Sahara other than wheel size and some interior items. I have the 3.6 engine and these are my findings since switching to 35’s.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
You could run the Rubicon suspension w/ 1" spacers all around, or a bit taller spacer in front (vs. the rear) if you plan to add a winch/steel bumper in front. This should yield a bit over a 2" lift which should allow you room for 35s. Like @Stuckinthesand mentioned, unless you get new wheels w/ offsets at +10 down to negative #s then you'll need spacers on your stockers. You could also add Rubicon fenders for more room, or a high fender kit. Many options to get more room for those tires. Keep in mind if you lift 2" or more you'll also need to add longer Mopar lift LCAs or adjustable ones (if you lift 2.5" or more) to get your caster proper.
It never ends!

OP
OP
JLWarrior

JLWarrior

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL RUBICON
You could run the Rubicon suspension w/ 1" spacers all around, or a bit taller spacer in front (vs. the rear) if you plan to add a winch/steel bumper in front. This should yield a bit over a 2" lift which should allow you room for 35s. Like @Stuckinthesand mentioned, unless you get new wheels w/ offsets at +10 down to negative #s then you'll need spacers on your stockers. You could also add Rubicon fenders for more room, or a high fender kit. Many options to get more room for those tires. Keep in mind if you lift 2" or more you'll also need to add longer Mopar lift LCAs or adjustable ones (if you lift 2.5" or more) to get your caster proper.
It never ends!
Thanks! That was actually my biggest concern with going to 35” tires over 33” - having to make considerable adjustments to the stock parts in conjunction with the lift kit.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLWarrior

JLWarrior

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL RUBICON
At minimum to fit 35’s without any rubbing at full flex you will need to do a budget boost or full lift. I would think about swapping wheels to a 17” because tires are easier and a little cheaper than the 18”s. If you want to keep stock wheels you’ll have to run spacers to move them out away from the suspension for 35’s You’ll lose 8th gear after around 72mph but for me it wasn’t a big deal because on stock tires I lost it at 75mph anyways. I have a sport but there is no difference between sport and Sahara other than wheel size and some interior items. I have the 3.6 engine and these are my findings since switching to 35’s.
Thanks! I was looking at a 2” lift kit with shocks, springs, and control arms. Appreciate the point on wheel/rim spacing. Is there anything else to consider such as axels or gearing?

OP
OP
JLWarrior

JLWarrior

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL RUBICON

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Thanks! Appreciate the insight. I was looking at the Mopar 2” lift which will come with control aems. Is there anything else needed for 35" wheels such as axles, gearing, speed, breaks, etc?
If you are only going 35’s you won’t need to change axels, gears etc for what you are doing. I do light rock crawling with mine and have had no issues. If you were going to go bigger than 35’s and/or do heavy rock crawling I’d suggest axles and doing gears.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I can tell you that I am running what you want to do and at first I was told I could stuff 35’s in there with no issues but then I asked the right ppl and @TTEChris of Tank Customs here in Houston advised against doing that, he said stuffing 35’s in there could be done but the risks are rubbing and more than likely tearing out fender liners even with light offroad use and this is due to the shorter axles and lower fenders so I took his suggestion based on my use which is exactly what you are using your Sahara for and went with a RC 2.5” boost 3 years ago with some Method 312 wheels and BFG 315 KO2’s and have had zero issues

I was going to do a regear and advised safe my $$$ Chris said not worth it for what I was going to be doing, after all was said and done and doing my lift along with bumper and winch 8th gear has faded and mpg have dropped but I knew that going into it and have zero regrets

Before:

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU SAHARA - 33" vs 35" Tires 77AE6D92-86BD-44C1-BF04-91F96B3C6F5E
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU SAHARA - 33" vs 35" Tires 9DACA343-FAB4-48BC-91E7-E870A46C8EAB

After:

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU SAHARA - 33" vs 35" Tires 804424D8-488C-4028-BE61-C9ECD164046A
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU SAHARA - 33" vs 35" Tires 9F097DE5-18D8-4D43-9F49-4C8B8C569B22

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
i wouldn’t do 35s on stock gears with my manual 3.6 (sport s).

i think it’s less noticeable with the automatic so you may be fine. I did have a friend who did 35s and a spacer lift on his Sahara with the 2.0. He said he thought stock gears were fine until he re-geared and realized what he was missing.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
You can also run a 11.5" tire and keep oem wheels. This will help keep the rubber under the flares.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I'm interested in this as well. My logic path is that if I do a ~2" lift, I'm going to need 35s to not look stupid, but then I'm also going to need a few extra pieces underneath, and then I'm going to want to regear. All of that seems to add up to ~$3-4K for a good setup, which is just outside my budget for now.

Planning to at least do a ~.5-1" spacer lift, and *may* do some Rubi take-offs (I'm getting a Sahara) to get a smaller boost without needing to get bigger tires.

OP
OP
JLWarrior

JLWarrior

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL RUBICON
I'm interested in this as well. My logic path is that if I do a ~2" lift, I'm going to need 35s to not look stupid, but then I'm also going to need a few extra pieces underneath, and then I'm going to want to regear. All of that seems to add up to ~$3-4K for a good setup, which is just outside my budget for now.

Planning to at least do a ~.5-1" spacer lift, and *may* do some Rubi take-offs (I'm getting a Sahara) to get a smaller boost without needing to get bigger tires.
I'm in the exact same position. Also if we're taking $5k+ for a good setup it's almost more economical to just get a Rubicon at that point... I have a feeling I'll end up with rubi take-offs however right now it's just wishful thinking of 35s
Sponsored