JLWarrior

JLWarrior

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL RUBICON
If you are only going 35’s you won’t need to change axels, gears etc for what you are doing. I do light rock crawling with mine and have had no issues. If you were going to go bigger than 35’s and/or do heavy rock crawling I’d suggest axles and doing gears.
How do you like the black rhino rims? Did you go with 35s and a 2" lift? How does it drive?
Sponsored

CoolToys

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltoys.tv
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 2018 Jaguar F-pace, 2002 Mercedes SLK,
Occupation
CoolToys® TV Host
Vehicle Showcase
At minimum to fit 35’s without any rubbing at full flex you will need to do a budget boost or full lift. I would think about swapping wheels to a 17” because tires are easier and a little cheaper than the 18”s. If you want to keep stock wheels you’ll have to run spacers to move them out away from the suspension for 35’s You’ll lose 8th gear after around 72mph but for me it wasn’t a big deal because on stock tires I lost it at 75mph anyways. I have a sport but there is no difference between sport and Sahara other than wheel size and some interior items. I have the 3.6 engine and these are my findings since switching to 35’s.
What do you mean you "lost 8th gear"? Do you mean it won't shift into 8th until 75? Or do you mean to go faster it drops to 7th?

CoolToys

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltoys.tv
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CoolToys® TV Host
Vehicle Showcase
So Wranglerman, I really like the look of your setup. Since you are in Katy I have a few questions after my recent run through Zion and then 80mph back down I15 in Utah.

Honestly crawling the trail to Toquerville falls wasn't that bad with my stock Sahara, same tire/wheel setup as your before photos. I have the 2.0t with 3.47 gears. I had to stop the trek to the falls because I didn't have a harness for my dog in the back seat and she couldn't hold on some of the down faces. Admittedly I couldn't stop either so probably a bit much for a stock Sahara.

On the way back though at 80mph speed limits, the bump on every bridge caused some pretty solid shimmy. So my questions are...

Which lift kit did you use and how tall did you go?
What size tires?
Did you use spacers? (looks wider)
and finally
Have you hit 80, does it have to downshift.
At 80 if you hit a pothole or a bridge does it shimmy or did you add a bigger damper shock with the lift kit?

Road To Toquerville Falls.jpg

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Not sure what kind of off roading you plan on doing, being in philadelphia I would assume you don't really need 35s. If you want to do difficult trails that require a good breakover angle I would go 35s given you have a JLU. But if your offroading is easy to moderate I'll stick with 33s and call it a day. As others have said, you can fit 35s on a budget without needing a full lift kit.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
What do you mean you "lost 8th gear"? Do you mean it won't shift into 8th until 75? Or do you mean to go faster it drops to 7th?
Anything above 72mph it won’t go into 8th gear unless I am going downhill or manually select 8th gear. Even if I manually select 8th it won’t hold the speed and starts to drop and even if you barely touch the gas to speed up it drops to 7th and will stay there until I hit a down hill. It’s not really a big deal as 7th and 8th are overdrive gears anyway. If I cruise at 68-72mph it’ll stay in 8th all day long. I run load range e tires so maybe if you go with a lighter tire there would be a difference.

Sponsored

CoolToys

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltoys.tv
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CoolToys® TV Host
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure what kind of off roading you plan on doing, being in philadelphia I would assume you don't really need 35s. If you want to do difficult trails that require a good breakover angle I would go 35s given you have a JLU. But if your offroading is easy to moderate I'll stick with 33s and call it a day. As others have said, you can fit 35s on a budget without needing a full lift kit.
I used to have a JKU before this JLU, and I have taken both on trails that would scare most with bone stock tires. But since I live in Southern California, getting to great trails is at least a 2 hour drive, and 6 hours last week going to Zion. MOAB is next on the plan.

I saw my JKU with 35's the other day and it looked great. The new Sahara has the Fox suspension upgrade, and the more I read the more I think 33 is the limit for this one. Still a bit concerned about the high speed bump shimmy. I never had the JKU going that fast so nothing to compare.

90% of the time the JLU is a Surf Safari vehicle and is already way overkill for that job.

CoolToys

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltoys.tv
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CoolToys® TV Host
Vehicle Showcase
Anything above 72mph it won’t go into 8th gear unless I am going downhill or manually select 8th gear. Even if I manually select 8th it won’t hold the speed and starts to drop and even if you barely touch the gas to speed up it drops to 7th and will stay there until I hit a down hill. It’s not really a big deal as 7th and 8th are overdrive gears anyway. If I cruise at 68-72mph it’ll stay in 8th all day long. I run load range e tires so maybe if you go with a lighter tire there would be a difference.
Ah thanks, you have the V6 though? I had the JKU 6 and at altitude the thing would drop to 4th going up any hill. The little 4 banger turbo holds 7th or 8th if it gets there. I don't see 8th till 70 though. 3.47 axle I guess.

Watchtower02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Will a 33” tire provide a smoother ride on pavement than a 35” tire? Does tire width play a factor in smoothness of ride?

or is the smoothness of ride all about the correct load rating??

When I say smoothness…I’m talking about how much of a bump in the road do you feel when driving over it.

Thanks!!

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Will a 33” tire provide a smoother ride on pavement than a 35” tire? Does tire width play a factor in smoothness of ride?

or is the smoothness of ride all about the correct load rating??

When I say smoothness…I’m talking about how much of a bump in the road do you feel when driving over it.

Thanks!!
~2" of extra rubber could make for a smoother ride, but it would also be dependent upon load rating/ply and tread pattern (mud vs all terrain). For mild off-roading, a C or D rating would be fine, F's will be very stiff, that's what I ran on 2500HD.

Anything is possible with the right money, but I think 35s on stock Sahara gears would be awful.

Last edited:

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I can tell you that I am running what you want to do and at first I was told I could stuff 35’s in there with no issues but then I asked the right ppl and @TTEChris of Tank Customs here in Houston advised against doing that, he said stuffing 35’s in there could be done but the risks are rubbing and more than likely tearing out fender liners even with light offroad use and this is due to the shorter axles and lower fenders so I took his suggestion based on my use which is exactly what you are using your Sahara for and went with a RC 2.5” boost 3 years ago with some Method 312 wheels and BFG 315 KO2’s and have had zero issues

I was going to do a regear and advised safe my $$$ Chris said not worth it for what I was going to be doing, after all was said and done and doing my lift along with bumper and winch 8th gear has faded and mpg have dropped but I knew that going into it and have zero regrets

Before:

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU SAHARA - 33" vs 35" Tires Road To Toquerville Falls

After:

what is your front bumper? I have the lil brother.

Sponsored

DontCallMeRubi

First Name
DR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR/2017 Corvette Z06
~2" of extra rubber could make for a smoother ride, but it would also be dependent upon load rating/ply and tread pattern (mud vs all terrain). For mild off-roading, a C or D rating would be fine, F's will be very stiff, that's what I ran on 2500HD.

Anything is possible with the right money, but I think 35s on stock Sahara gears would be awful.
Y'all already know that the "smooth" ride is controlled by not only the tires but also the suspension, swapping out the OEM tires for different size, compound, etc. without considering how the suspension responds would most likely lead to issues...obviously, OEMs design the tire/suspension system as a package deal...consider how tire sidewalls actually act as springs...on sports cars with huge wheels look at the sidewalls and see very narrow pieces...without correct suspension tuning to compensate, the ride would be ridiculously rough...on our 4 wheelers we need big sidewalls and the conventional wisdom is to have the wheel diameter be no more than about half the tire diameter...Jeep engineers chose a 17" wheel for the extreme recon package for a reason (the actual tire diameter is closer to 34" than 35")...they also chose lower diff gears and slapped a tiny lift on the XR rubi...keep in mind that the engineers always do things methodically and for good reasons, same way we should approach changes, too.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Y'all already know that the "smooth" ride is controlled by not only the tires but also the suspension, swapping out the OEM tires for different size, compound, etc. without considering how the suspension responds would most likely lead to issues...obviously, OEMs design the tire/suspension system as a package deal...consider how tire sidewalls actually act as springs...on sports cars with huge wheels look at the sidewalls and see very narrow pieces...without correct suspension tuning to compensate, the ride would be ridiculously rough...on our 4 wheelers we need big sidewalls and the conventional wisdom is to have the wheel diameter be no more than about half the tire diameter...Jeep engineers chose a 17" wheel for the extreme recon package for a reason (the actual tire diameter is closer to 34" than 35")...they also chose lower diff gears and slapped a tiny lift on the XR rubi...keep in mind that the engineers always do things methodically and for good reasons, same way we should approach changes, too.
Of course, anyone talking about 35’s on a Sahara has already done some type of lift. I wouldn't give Jeep engineers the level of credit you’re implying though lol. The poster specifically asked about tires which is what I addressed (also responded to their new thread here).