First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara 35x12.5 R18
Nice! Do you experience any rubbing?
well mine DOES NOT RUB, HA
Once again, most of the case when people ask about rubbing, it ha nothing(or very limited) to do with lift, it’s due to amount of backspacing on the wheels that cause tire rubbing on front LCAs/tie rod. You need to turn your steering wheel to maximum rotation to one side, and hold it there(if you let go the steering wheel with bounce backs), then have someone crawl underneath and look at clearance between tire and LCA, then craw under the other tire and check clearance between tie rod, it is from my experience that 12.5” tires (stock wheels) will rub on max turn.
Sponsored

Little Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara 35x12.5 R18
Once again, most of the case when people ask about rubbing, it ha nothing(or very limited) to do with lift, it’s due to amount of backspacing on the wheels that cause tire rubbing on front LCAs/tie rod. You need to turn your steering wheel to maximum rotation to one side, and hold it there(if you let go the steering wheel with bounce backs), then have someone crawl underneath and look at clearance between tire and LCA, then craw under the other tire and check clearance between tie rod, it is from my experience that 12.5” tires (stock wheels) will rub on max turn.
sorry you've had that experience, I also have spacers. The work was done at the dealer, and I specifically stated that I didn't want it to rub, SO I don't have the same experience your describing.

But thanks for the advice and I did perform the test you describe and I don't have any rubbing.

Granizle

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Wrangler Sport JK, 2007 Wrangler Sahara JK
sorry you've had that experience, I also have spacers. The work was done at the dealer, and I specifically stated that I didn't want it to rub, SO I don't have the same experience your describing.

But thanks for the advice and I did perform the test you describe and I don't have any rubbing.
Did they have to trim your air dam at all ?

Granizle

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Wrangler Sport JK, 2007 Wrangler Sahara JK
Here's my Sahara with factory 18" rims with 35 x 12.5 tire but with 2.5 suspension lift. I added the Rubicon hood since I couldn't find a Rubicon in Nacho.

20190330_150321.jpg

20190324_134021.jpg
Does the actual rubber stick out past the fenders at all on the stock wheels ?

JLscorpio31

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara JLU, 1999 Cherokee XJ
Sahara on stock wheels will definitely rub with 12.5" tires. This has nothing to do with lift.
The stock wheels will take ~11.5" tires (295) MAX. Beyond that tire width, when putting it on full turns, tires will rub on LCAs.
thanks for the insight, I'm thinking of replacing my stock JLU Sahara to:
305/65R18 KO2s going from 10" to 12" width, just smaller than the 35s. you think it would still rub or stick out. I do have a 2" lift. thanks for any advice

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
thanks for the insight, I'm thinking of replacing my stock JLU Sahara to:
305/65R18 KO2s going from 10" to 12" width, just smaller than the 35s. you think it would still rub or stick out. I do have a 2" lift. thanks for any advice
305 on stock wheels? Yea that will definitely rub, you are always welcome to adjust the steering stop bolt though.. sacrifice a bit of turning radius if you don't want to shell out for a set of new wheels or take the risk with wheel spacers..

JLscorpio31

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
great info. thanks once again. will definitely try this vice going to spacers..not a big fan

JLscorpio31

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
305 on stock wheels? Yea that will definitely rub, you are always welcome to adjust the steering stop bolt though.. sacrifice a bit of turning radius if you don't want to shell out for a set of new wheels or take the risk with wheel spacers..

great info. thanks once again. will definitely try this vice going to spacers..not a big fan

Jughead

First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon

I had to do this on my 2003 Rubicon when I installed 33's.

jchaisson

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
What's the problem with a good set of spacers (Spidertrax)? As long as you check them at every tire rotation?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
What's the problem with a good set of spacers (Spidertrax)? As long as you check them at every tire rotation?
No problems per se other than introducing another possible point of failure into your setup.
Some people want to maximize reliability of a rig that is meant to be taken down some pretty gnarly trails.
Sponsored