JLU Rubicon Suspension vs. Gladiator Rubicon Suspension

jthoms1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I’ve done quite a bIt of searching but can’t find the answer I’m looking for. Question - what is the difference between the suspensions? Specifically, if you took a take-off Gladiator Rubicon suspension (springs, shocks etc.) and put it on a JLUR, what would you stand to gain? Anything? The shocks are Fox branded....I have no idea what the differences in them and the springs are from the JLUR. Just curious.
Sponsored

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve done quite a bIt of searching but can’t find the answer I’m looking for. Question - what is the difference between the suspensions? Specifically, if you took a take-off Gladiator Rubicon suspension (springs, shocks etc.) and put it on a JLUR, what would you stand to gain? Anything? The shocks are Fox branded....I have no idea what the differences in them and the springs are from the JLUR. Just curious.
I feel like the front end is the exact same and would swap over easy enough.

The rear end is based off a 1500 ram so i doubt the jl and gladiator share much similarities

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yeah the rears are totally different. No ability to swap.

The fronts may be different spring rates due to one being a truck, but it'll be almost impossible to find concrete info on that.

Cmt

First Name
Carl thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab 2017 challenge Scat pack 2010 zx 1400
Occupation
Chrysler transport(switcher)
Yeah the rears are totally different. No ability to swap.

The fronts may be different spring rates due to one being a truck, but it'll be almost impossible to find concrete info on that.

Cmt

First Name
Carl thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab 2017 challenge Scat pack 2010 zx 1400
Occupation
Chrysler transport(switcher)
I work at the plant here in Toledo where we build both the jl and the jt,give me a little time and I’ll find out the difference

Sponsored

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
JT"s rear susp is setup more like a ram, different control arms than the wrangler. Supposedly stronger, better for towing. JT has a tow rating 2x more than wrangler. Which boggles my mind considering the V6 doesn't have much torque but oh well.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
JT"s rear susp is setup more like a ram, different control arms than the wrangler. Supposedly stronger, better for towing. JT has a tow rating 2x more than wrangler. Which boggles my mind considering the V6 doesn't have much torque but oh well.
I’ve been wondering the same exact thing since the only difference I can come up with is rear suspension.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The tow rating being so low on the Wrangler has nothing to do with the engine torque or transmission. And has to do with the way that the hitch mounts to the frame as well as the engine cooling package that they're able to use with that small grille. If Wrangler had the same brakes, engine cooling, class IV hitch bolted to both frame rails, high load capacity wheels, wheelbase, etc. It would have the same tow rating.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Umm, the tow rating would not be the same because of the brakes,engine cooling, hitch being bolted to the frame,etc..
The Gladiator frame is braced differently along with being longer wheelbase and different axles (thicker axle tubes) etc..The grill has nothing to do with it. Hemi conversions use the same grill and do not have cooling issues....

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The tow rating being so low on the Wrangler has nothing to do with the engine torque or transmission. And has to do with the way that the hitch mounts to the frame as well as the engine cooling package that they're able to use with that small grille. If Wrangler had the same brakes, engine cooling, class IV hitch bolted to both frame rails, high load capacity wheels, wheelbase, etc. It would have the same tow rating.
I know, it's actually impressive what they did with heat management, etc (that video with the FCA engineer was very good).

My issue with the 7k rating is the V6 is WAYYYYY under-powered to pull 7,000lbs. If people buy a JT and think they're going to lug around anywhere close to that they're not going to be real happy on hills, in a headwind, trying to pass someone, trying to get that much weight going from a dead stop if you're parked on a hill, etc.
(I just towed 2,000lbs on a 700mi round trip with my JLUR in a headwind, it was.....well......sad)

Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just towed 3100 pounds with my 18 JL Rubicon with the stock 33" tires through Pennsylvania hills, back roads and highways without any issues. 8flat what gearing and tire size are you running?

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I just towed 3100 pounds with my 18 JL Rubicon with the stock 33" tires through Pennsylvania hills, back roads and highways without any issues. 8flat what gearing and tire size are you running?
All stock, 33" KO2s and 4:10 gears. It really struggles in headwinds. Had the rig full of people and gear also, so overall we had quite a load but holy crap I couldn't imagine this engine in a heavier vehicle (JT) with a 7,000lb trailer behind it. Gads.

On the JT thread I brought these concerns up, caught a lot of crap for it, LOL but my suspicions were right when I looked at the videos of the Ike Gauntlet tests (a psuedo-scientific test of different rigs towing their max capacity up that mtn pass in CO). The V6 wrangler posted the slowest time I found, and that was only pulling half what the JT is rated for and they have the same engine.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have to agree with you on the head wind slowing my JL down big time. The back roads were fine with the small hills but on the open highway going up a grade it was sucking wind big time. I have learned over the years to avoid certain roads while towing. I don’t fill the boat tank up until we get by the lake, 52 gallons of gas adds up to over 350 extra pounds

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have to agree with you on the head wind slowing my JL down big time. The back roads were fine with the small hills but on the open highway going up a grade it was sucking wind big time. I have learned over the years to avoid certain roads while towing. I don’t fill the boat tank up until we get by the lake, 52 gallons of gas adds up to over 350 extra pounds
Agreed. Don't get me wrong, I do agree our V6 is a good engine, I'm just disappointed in how it's setup with cam profile, bore vs stroke, etc. IMHO it's built for an application like a sports car. High revving, with very little torque down low in the RPM range. If it was designed to put out more torque it would work much better for towing, churning big tires when stuck in mud/snow, etc.

Love my JLUR but I believe jeeps should have torquey engines. I can't even back up our inclined driveway without slipping the clutch the whole way (6 speed). Very strange. No jeep in the history of jeeps has had that problem since WWII, I'll bet?

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sad but true. The 8 speed automatic definitely helps with towing, it used to be the other way around. I agree with you on how the engine is set up, not very much torque available down low. Funny that my twin turbo BMW M had 300 foot pounds available at 1500 rpm on up. I do miss having a straight 6 in a Jeep Wrangler, my XJ pulls like a tank compared to it. I guess Jeep is looking to satisfy the owners who bought a Jeep just to own a Jeep and not use it like a Jeep if that makes sense
Sponsored