JLU rubicon suspension on sport

HellaJL2817

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport
I know!!! Sorry that this is a common thread on here but my question is in regards to having the rubicon JLU suspension on the JLU sport and do I need a RC leveling kit for a metal bumper and a Smittybilt winch to prevent any problems. And if so an RC .75 good enough? If not needed should the suspension of JLU rubicon be good enough for average off-roading and recovery help.
Redrock bumper = 75lbs
xrc 9500 winch = 72lbs
Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Z&KOJL

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
In short, yes. I did the rubicon take off springs/shocks and got 1.5ā€ of lift all the way around from my sport suspension. Very happy with it and it worked great but it was a bit low in the front for my taste but only from a looks perspective so I did add a 3/4ā€ coil spacer. First pic is before the spacer, second is after. For the price, you canā€™t beat this upgrade from a sport.
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU rubicon suspension on sport 65266CC8-11C6-4044-8987-80798C6DA46B
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU rubicon suspension on sport 78BB3B24-0DF8-4C14-8F6A-2D670DFC9D88

OP
OP
HellaJL2817

HellaJL2817

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport
In short, yes. I did the rubicon take off springs/shocks and got 1.5ā€ of lift all the way around from my sport suspension. Very happy with it and it worked great but it was a bit low in the front for my taste but only from a looks perspective so I did add a 3/4ā€ coil spacer. First pic is before the spacer, second is after. For the price, you canā€™t beat this upgrade from a sport.
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU rubicon suspension on sport 78BB3B24-0DF8-4C14-8F6A-2D670DFC9D88
Thanks. So did you use a RC .75 in front or do you recommend a different one. Also did you do front control arms from a rubicon as well? Any wobble or alignment issues?

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
In short, yes. I did the rubicon take off springs/shocks and got 1.5ā€ of lift all the way around from my sport suspension
Please clarify that this was due to only changing the springs/shocks and did not include changing the tires too. I recently changed my stock 245 Kevlars for Rubicon KO2 and got almost 1" just from the tires alone.

Z&KOJL

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. So did you use a RC .75 in front or do you recommend a different one. Also did you do front control arms from a rubicon as well? Any wobble or alignment issues?
Honestly I couldnā€™t say what the brand was I just ordered one online. there are ton out there but you canā€™t go wrong with RC. I did not change the control arms. The stock rubicon arms are actually the same length. I donā€™t personally have steering issues because of it but if you wanted to you can order longer lower control arms from Jeep that are reasonably priced as well.

Sponsored

Z&KOJL

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please clarify that this was due to only changing the springs/shocks and did not include changing the tires too. I recently changed my stock 245 Kevlars for Rubicon KO2 and got almost 1" just from the tires alone.
Correct, I got 1.5ā€ from springs/shocks. I too changed tires for rubicon KO2 after the springs and got almost another inch.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Just like Zak except mine is a 2dr. Got 180lbs of bumper & winch, added a Rugged Ridge 3/4" front spacer. It's this one, lists for a JK but works fine for the JL too!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GT8AJPW

A few pics~ stock, after 295/70s (33.3" tall), after Rubi suspension swap, after bumper & winch, then finally after 3/4" front spacer added

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU rubicon suspension on sport 100_4015.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU rubicon suspension on sport 100_4023.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU rubicon suspension on sport IMG_0253.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU rubicon suspension on sport IMG_0346.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU rubicon suspension on sport IMG_0386.JPG

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I know!!! Sorry that this is a common thread on here but my question is in regards to having the rubicon JLU suspension on the JLU sport and do I need a RC leveling kit for a metal bumper and a Smittybilt winch to prevent any problems. And if so an RC .75 good enough? If not needed should the suspension of JLU rubicon be good enough for average off-roading and recovery help.
Redrock bumper = 75lbs
xrc 9500 winch = 72lbs
Thanks in advance
Just buy the cheap RC 2.5 spacers and be done with it. Thereā€˜s nothing special about Rubicon suspension. Just higher spring rates. The shocks arenā€™t that much better than the sports. Just about any cheap aftermarket shock will be better than OEM stuff.

https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-suspension-lift-kit-676c.html

OP
OP
HellaJL2817

HellaJL2817

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport
I appreciate all the feedback.

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
Redrock bumper = 75lbs
xrc 9500 winch = 72lbs
Thanks in advance
How much are you willing to spend?

Sponsored

Bun707

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
So I've got a 2018 Sport S with a Rubicon take-off suspension (paid $50 on OfferUp!) and 1/2" spacers. Funny enough, I was just playing around with measuring sag due to weight earlier today! I'm planning on getting a new bumper and winch and wanted to know the impact on height.

I had my kid climb on the bumper and measured about 6mm of drop for 79lbs. Then I traded places and measured 16mm of drop with my 158lbs. So the drop is non-linear it seems.

Keep in mind the stock plastic bumper is about 35lbs from my research. So swapping a 75lb bumper is a net increase of 40lbs. Then add your winch of 72lbs and your net increase is about 112lbs.

After adding your numbers up, I realized my wife is 114lbs! Close enough. ;) So I grabbed her and had her hop on the bumper and got 11mm of drop! In Freedom Units, that's 0.43".

Doing the math: I'm looking at the Rugged Ridge Venator (55lbs) and already have the Apex 12k Winch Synthetic Line (58.5 lbs) subtracting the plastic OEM bumper (35lbs) I'm looking at net 78.5 lbs. Wow, my family members are useful... same weight as my daughter so I should see about 6mm drop.

Not much at all.

Even still, I'm thinking of getting the Dynatrac EnduroSport 2" lift since I hear it rides so nicely. Keep in mind, that 2" number is above a Rubicon height, and in practice that lift is about 2.1-2.2". If I take off my 1/2" spacers, it'll net me 1.6-1.7" above where I'm at right now. There are a couple people selling used DT EnduroSports on the for sale pages here, but I think they don't want to ship.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Just buy the cheap RC 2.5 spacers and be done with it. Thereā€˜s nothing special about Rubicon suspension. Just higher spring rates. The shocks arenā€™t that much better than the sports. Just about any cheap aftermarket shock will be better than OEM stuff.

https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-suspension-lift-kit-676c.html
Redrock bumper = 75lbs
xrc 9500 winch = 72lbs
Thanks in advance
I dont know if you have done anything yet about the suspension but i would steer very clear of spacer kits. Those things give you no benefit off road and they make the vehicle ride like crap in my eyes. If you want alittle more actual articulation and shock absorption then go with the take off kit. Those Rubi shocks will handle more washboard then the stock sports while being longer for more wheel travel. Legit suspension upgrades are cost more because they are upgrades. Spacers are cheap because they are for mall crawlers who want street cred ;)

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I dont know if you have done anything yet about the suspension but i would steer very clear of spacer kits. Those things give you no benefit off road and they make the vehicle ride like crap in my eyes. If you want alittle more actual articulation and shock absorption then go with the take off kit. Those Rubi shocks will handle more washboard then the stock sports while being longer for more wheel travel. Legit suspension upgrades are cost more because they are upgrades. Spacers are cheap because they are for mall crawlers who want street cred ;)
I would say there are a lot of people who wheel the piss out of their Jeepā€™s with spacers. They do exactly what theyā€™re designed for. The Jeep rides like it did from the factory and you get a set amount of lift for an economical price. Once again, even the cheapest of aftermarket shocks will outperform the Rubi shocks and have more wheel travel.

Maybe give @Kevin8086 a shout and ask him how his mall travels were with his cheap mall crawler spacer lift. I think a few of us have traversed a rock or two with spacers lifts in the past.....all at the mall of course. ;)

MudHorn4xforLife

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler 80th Anniversary Edition
After reading all the responses, my question is how do I determine which spring goes where. Is there a place I can input the part number from the tags? Thank you for all the advice.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
After reading all the responses, my question is how do I determine which spring goes where. Is there a place I can input the part number from the tags? Thank you for all the advice.
I don't think you posted your specific Rubicon springs numbers here yet... However, assuming traditional spring numbers, the higher number for each set goes on the passenger side. Look at the last 2 numbers before the "AA", "AC", "AD" etc

Sample front tag - 68253661AC
Sample rear tag - 68253591AA

For example,

Front set - 60/61 - the spring that ends in 61 should be on the passenger side.

Rear set - 90/91 - the spring ending with 91 goes on the passenger side
Sponsored