Sponsored

JLU Rubicon on 35s no lift

jhawklive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I have 35x12.5x18 GoodYear Duratracs on my JLUR and the spare mounted without a relocation bracket. The spare should fit if you have the steel bumper option and actually sit right on the bumper which provides some support. The problem I think you will run into with the -12 offset will be the tire may not touch the rubber bumpers on the tailgate. If you get the Mopar reinforcement bracket which I have, you will get extended bumpers for the tailgate. There is thread on this site showing how to extend the oem bumpers with rubber hose. If you have the standard bumper package I believe you may need to relocate the spare up a bit.
Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I did buy the Mopar reinforcement and Mopar spare relo. I installed the reinforcement but held off on the spare relo until clarification. I have the steel bumpers, so it sounds like I will be good as long as I can sort out the rubber bumpers. How was your backup camera impacted by the change in offset?
Sponsored

JLU Pilot

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite JLUR , 17 F350 SD CC, 17 Camaro 2SS Conv 50th, 60 F100
Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I did buy the Mopar reinforcement and Mopar spare relo. I installed the reinforcement but held off on the spare relo until clarification. I have the steel bumpers, so it sounds like I will be good as long as I can sort out the rubber bumpers. How was your backup camera impacted by the change in offset?
My rims are 18x9 with +20 offset so the back camera was not an issue. The reinforcement kit did have extended bumpers which fit my set up perfectly. I wasn't happy with the 3rd brake light so I did install the Mopar relocation kit.

20180614_205046.jpg

jhawklive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My rims are 18x9 with +20 offset so the back camera was not an issue. The reinforcement kit did have extended bumpers which fit my set up perfectly. I wasn't happy with the 3rd brake light so I did install the Mopar relocation kit.

20180614_205046.jpg
Thanks again. Your setup looks great!

jhawklive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

20180614_205046.jpg
Now you have me really thinking... I found the wheel I want in +1 as well. The -12s coming today. Any issues running the positive offset on your rubicon with the larger tires? Any rub/clearance issues? I might return and go positive offset. I like the wheel/tire under the fender better.

JLU Pilot

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now you have me really thinking... I found the wheel I want in +1 as well. The -12s coming today. Any issues running the positive offset on your rubicon with the larger tires? Any rub/clearance issues? I might return and go positive offset. I like the wheel/tire under the fender better.
If you are getting an 18x9 rim with +1 offset you should have more inside clearance than stock. Even the 18x9 +20 I am running provides more inside room than the stock 17x7.5 Rubicon wheel which have +44 offset. Check out this calculator to compare the set up you are considering. Assuming you are going 18x9 +1 with 35x12.50 tires (use 315x70x18 for the calculator) you will have more inside clearance and the tires will stick out roughly 2" more than stock. My tires stick out maybe an inch from the fenders. Keep in mind the difference from -12 to +1 will be roughly 1/2 inch.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

thumbnail_20180822_084454.jpg

20180606_183753.jpg

20180608_065037.jpg

Sponsored

jhawklive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info. That calculator helped too. I guess really, I’m only saving .5” if I switch to the +1s. Not sure it would be worth the effort to return the -12s and then wait another week for the new.

Dang, just remembered have the camera view issue to. Will throw the -12 on the spare carrier and see what it looks like too.

Last edited:

Wrangled

First Name
Suzanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Mojito Green
Vehicle Showcase
Damn I gotta stay outta these forums. I just read this thread start to finish and now I have a $3500 order at Discount Tire!! LOL I wasn't even gonna get bigger tires cuz coming off a 2004 TJ with 31's I was pleasantly surprised when my new JL came with 33's. But then I read the thread on 35 vs 37 and this thread and I'm like crap, I want bigger tires. I won't be off-roading the JL in a serious manner so I went with 20" XD127 Bully's and the BFG AT KO2's to match. Basically what you see in the photo here.

XD127_Bully_BFG_AT_K02.jpg

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

JLU Pilot

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info. That calculator helped too. I guess really, I’m only saving .5” if I switch to the +1s. Not sure it would be worth the effort to return the -12s and then wait another week for the new.

Dang, just remembered have the camera view issue to. Will throw the -12 on the spare carrier and see what it looks like too.
The camera probably won't be much of an issue unless you are trying to hook up a trailer. I see the tire a bit more in the camera with 35's but for backing up it's fine.

jmlax401

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
I have been debating for weeks; I have a 2018 JL Sahara and I am not going to do a lift. I was looking at 285/75/17 Nitto Trail Ridge Grapplers with Pro Comp 7069 17x9. Could I go bigger without the lift and go with 35"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

hansolowookie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MANY JEEPS!
Nice Rubi! love the tan and black . 35's no lift on rubies are the way to step up your system incrementally!
Sponsored