JLU Rubicon on 35s no lift

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
After a year and a half running stock KM2 tires, I added 35 x 12.5 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17 x 8.5 Fuel Anza Wheels this weekend. On road, no rubbing and no issues. The tires gave me exactly 1.5 inches of lift for the front and rear pumpkins, rock rails, LCAs, and overall height. Weight of each tire increased from 80 lbs. to 105 lbs. It's early, but gas mileage looks like it's going to take
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Rubicon on 35s no lift E1_ND54511
a hit of about 2 mpg. On road handling went from what I would describe as zippy (especially with the top and doors off) to a bit like running in packed wet sand. Road noise is a slight hum at highway speeds "if" you're listening for it with windows down. Honestly, by the 2nd day, with my radio turned back on, I didn't even notice it. Of course the big test is how these tires will perform off road with no lift and I'm excited to test them out. I am expecting that a small 1-2 inch lift will be necessary for anything beyond easy to moderate trails. I know this thread has been very helpful to me while doing research, so wanted to share my experience. Would I buy them again.. absolutely!
Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Cheesy flex post. I think it will be perfect once AAL kit gets here.
20211006_145232.jpg
20211006_145240.jpg
20211006_145305.jpg
Looks good love the color of the Jeep. what you could do is what Kevin and Brittany did with light brite that went all over the nation hardcore four wheeling. that's what they do for a living. rough country Puck 2.5 piece of steel put it up front level it out and you'll be good with 35s. unless you want to do 37s you don't have to spend the money unless you going off road and hard for suspension lift if you just want the look and do some light four wheeling .just do the $149 with rough country and people can say what they want about the company but a piece of steel is a piece of steel its not going to break. Put it up front 2.5 inch and you'll have plenty of clearance. Now Kevin and Brittany they're Rubicon now is probably got over 100,000 area it's amazing with the hemi but the first I would say at least maybe a year or less there were no lift kits out and that's what they did they ran 35 and leveled it out with that puck if you're going to run 35 just level it out unless you want to do some hardcore four-wheeling
Cheesy flex post. I think it will be perfect once AAL kit gets here.
20211006_145232.jpg
20211006_145240.jpg
20211006_145305.jpg

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Looks good love the color of the Jeep. what you could do is what Kevin and Brittany did with light brite that went all over the nation hardcore four wheeling that's related for a living for a year with the kit from rough country Puck 2.5 piece of steel put it up front level it out and you'll be good with 35s. unless you want to do 37s you don't have to spend the money unless you going off road and hard for suspension lift if you just want the luck and do some light four wheeling just do the 149 with rough country and people can say what they want about the company but a piece of steel is a piece of steel it ain't going to break. Put it up front left at 2.5 in and you'll have plenty of clearance
Thanks.
We will see once I put the AAL kit in. I won't do a spacer lift though. If I feel the need it will be a Rustys 2" I really don't think I'll need it after fender kit though. That gives another 3" upward.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gina P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited rubicon
Hi, I wanted to share thoughts/pics as I had a hard time researching the web & forums to ensure they would fit no problem without any additional MODs. I have drove it for a couple days and am more than happy. If you're considering what model to get and are looking to keep your tires 35 or under, i'd recommend the Rubicon. No need for any additional work with it coming in 4:10 gears w the Dana 44s (extra pts for details such as the hood vents) I'll caveat that for anyone who does hardcore rock crawling, not sure at full flex what the rubbing would be like, but for majority of jeep owners with daily driving & basic weekend offroading this seems perfect. I would figure any intense rock crawling wouldn't be in expensive new JL though :)

Here some pics (35x12.50x18 Kumho MT, Worx Rebel).

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Rubicon on 35s no lift 20211006_145305

How did you mount your back up camera with those wheels?

SilverBug86

First Name
John Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Is a 2" spacer lift the most you want out of a stock rubicon suspension? I don't want to sacrifice ride quality, but at the same time don't want to rub the inner lining. Between, 35" BFG KO2 on stock wheels is what I'm going for. If I'm going 2"+ I'm going want 37" tires... which I'm not ready for.

I just canceled my 3/4" leveling kit installation after reviewing some of the newer posts. 1" front and 0.5" rear with extended bump stops... just ordered, hoping this does the job.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just canceled my 3/4" leveling kit installation after reviewing some of the newer posts. 1" front and 0.5" rear with extended bump stops... just ordered, hoping this does the job.
Did you cancel the 3/4" lift because you still have a rake to the front with it?

Sponsored

SilverBug86

First Name
John Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Did you cancel the 3/4" lift because you still have a rake to the front with it?
No, I did not get it installed. I double checked this forum to make sure 3/4" was enough clearance. I'm still reading through the thread and it looks like I might need to buy 3/4" bump stops.

Just ordered the Teraflex 1" front, 0.5" rear. Being that I'm an eco-diesel and sit a little higher than the gassers out there, I'll be sitting at about 1.75" front, 1.25" rear. I'll see how that works out. If I need bump stops, I'll order them. Teraflex makes a leveling kit for rubicon gassers which bumps them up 2" front, 1.5" rear. If I were to buy the kit, I'd be sitting at 2.75"F and 2.25"R... hence the reason why I went with 1 and 0.5.

Last edited:

GeeGuid

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Rubi
Shout out to @Discount Tire for the Ridge Grappler 35s on my OEM wheels—looks fantastic! Yes, I did add the Teraflex 1.5 leveling kit and bump stops just to knock everything out at once. The rear tailgate seems to be ok with a little up pressure from the tire resting a bit on the bumper. Is a reinforcement really needed?

86C81B41-35D6-476E-8AC6-D05AAE74A14A.jpeg

5C81502C-EC98-4AAC-8D56-6D4001F56FBD.jpeg

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Shout out to @Discount Tire for the Ridge Grappler 35s on my OEM wheels—looks fantastic! Yes, I did add the Teraflex 1.5 leveling kit and bump stops just to knock everything out at once. The rear tailgate seems to be ok with a little up pressure from the tire resting a bit on the bumper. Is a reinforcement really needed?

86C81B41-35D6-476E-8AC6-D05AAE74A14A.jpeg

5C81502C-EC98-4AAC-8D56-6D4001F56FBD.jpeg
Are your tailgate bumstops hitting your tire? That's important. They stop it from wobbling when closed and bumpy roads.

GeeGuid

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Rubi
Yes, solid. I lowered the spare psi just a little to ease opening & closing the tailgate. I actually feel better that the bumper carries a bit of the weight.

Are your tailgate bumstops hitting your tire? That's important. They stop it from wobbling when closed and bumpy roads.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Yes, solid. I lowered the spare psi just a little to ease opening & closing the tailgate. I actually feel better that the bumper carries a bit of the weight.
Run it. Just keep an eye on it and look for sagging. I have one of the heaviest 35 + wheel setups and mine has been solid form the few weeks I've had it. I'm not concerned at all.
Sponsored