threejeeps

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
No issues with the spare fitting? Do you have plastic or steel bumpers, standard or reinforced tire carrier (OEM)?

By the way, only one of mine is too.
Plastic bumpers and stock spare tire carrier. They would not install the spare because it partially blocked the CHMSL and contacted part of the mount. When I got home I spent 10 minutes raising the CHMSL (used just one set of the mounting screws) and put the spare on. Near term I'll get a tire carrier just not sure which one yet.

I should also note, that while the 315's fit and have no rubbing that's city driving. Today I'll be adding Teraflex coil spacers (1" fr/0.5" rr) and Teraflex bump stop kit and then doing some mild trails this weekend for a test run.

Eventually I'll add a lift and swap wheels but I'll likely run with this configuration for a while.
Sponsored

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
Plastic bumpers and stock spare tire carrier. They would not install the spare because it partially blocked the CHMSL and contacted part of the mount. When I got home I spent 10 minutes raising the CHMSL (used just one set of the mounting screws) and put the spare on. Near term I'll get a tire carrier just not sure which one yet.

I should also note, that while the 315's fit and have no rubbing that's city driving. Today I'll be adding Teraflex coil spacers (1" fr/0.5" rr) and Teraflex bump stop kit and then doing some mild trails this weekend for a test run.

Eventually I'll add a lift and swap wheels but I'll likely run with this configuration for a while.
Thanks for the follow up. I will be very interested to see what you find in testing and adding.

I have read that the 315mm tires on the spare work with plastic bumper, but not the steel. I have the steel.

HellaRubi

First Name
Sher or Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Hellayella; F87 M2C; E90 M3
Literally just did this on a (currently) stock JLUR with upgraded OEM Rubicon wheels and 315/70r17 BFG KO2s. Tread is just about at edge of the fenders and the sidewall is just outside which is exactly what I was going for.
If you wanted to get a bit more poke-out on the tires, where would you go from here? With 315s you're pretty much up against the limit on tire width. Haven't really seen anybody mention anything wider. At that point, is it just wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels with less back-spacing?

threejeeps

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If you wanted to get a bit more poke-out on the tires, where would you go from here? With 315s you're pretty much up against the limit on tire width. Haven't really seen anybody mention anything wider. At that point, is it just wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels with less back-spacing?
Yes, spacers or wheels. Personally spacers would be too far out (1.75”) so it will be wheels. On my JLUS I ran 295s with 0mm offset wheels and it was just a little too much so I’m considering something like the AEV wheels at +25mm offset.

Sponsored

HellaRubi

First Name
Sher or Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Hellayella; F87 M2C; E90 M3
Yes, spacers or wheels. Personally spacers would be too far out (1.75”) so it will be wheels. On my JLUS I ran 295s with 0mm offset wheels and it was just a little too much so I’m considering something like the AEV wheels at +25mm offset.
Thanks

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Echoing @Steve JLUR. Yes, please report back following off-road testing.

threejeeps

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Echoing @Steve JLUR. Yes, please report back following off-road testing.
So my cobbled together lift is on which consists of 1.0” front and 0.5” rear Teraflex coil spacers with their ST1 bump stops. Running stock Rubicon upgrade wheels on BFG 315/70R17 K02 load range C tires.

From stock I gained about +2 1/8” at the front, +1 5/8” at front door sill step in and +1 3/8” at the rear. All that was after about 50 miles with some real mild off road to let things settle in. Ride is real close to factory. I can just notice the extra weight of the tires and probably need to experiment with pressure.

I like the look, it’s sort of a sleeper. On its own it doesn’t quite look stock so you gotta look twice. However when I park next to a stock Rubicon those dimensions are much more noticeable. I like it!

7E4EA4BD-CB20-4ED2-90C9-837B5FA803C0.jpeg

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
This is one of the "35 no lift" threads I follow. I cry BS. I got Nitto 35x11.5 on the factory Rubicon rims. Took it to Windrock park, under any articulation the rear wheels rub the fender liners, and heard the front rub a few times too. So may look at a suspension puck lift, but apparently this group is a bunch of mall crawlers. :) Okay it just rubbed the liners, it wasn't horrible, but to me that means its not good. Just my 2 cents.
I can confirm this, although I would call it "max articulation" rather than "any articulation." I have trimmed the bump at the rear of the rear fender liner and have Nitto 35x11.5 Trail Grapplers on JK wheels with no spacers and no lift on my JLR. The tire kisses near the center of the rear liner and 4-5 of the raised bumps on the front liner.

The red clay in Uwharrie makes for great witness marks ;)
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Rubicon on 35s no lift IMG_3566.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Rubicon on 35s no lift IMG_3567.JPG

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Thank you @MacombRoger for keeping people honest here about rubbing on 35s! @Kreepin1 gave us an honest no BS second review that 35s do rub, albeit slightly enough that it sounds like some fender trimming is all that is needed. Basically though, they don't fit... unless mall crawling.

I just put Nitto TG 35x11.5r17s on my 2-door Rubicon just this Thursday and could immediately tell even before taking off road that there would be high likelihood of rubbing in the rear fender at least.

Similar to @threejeeps, I am going to install some Teraflex spacers. Less because of cost bit more because I only want the most modest of lifts to clear the new tires without rubbing. If the either the Mopar or Dynatrac coil lifts actually delivered a true 2 inches of lift I would go with those but every actual measurement posted that I have seen shows >2 inches.

Thanks everyone. Learning a lot from the input here.

EDIT: I was also considering whether the coils from the new Xtreme package would be available in coming weeks (+1.5 inch over stanrdard Rubi supposedly). Not sure if anyone has heard about these. Would welcome news.

Sponsored

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Thank you @MacombRoger for keeping people honest here about rubbing on 35s! @Kreepin1 gave us an honest no BS second review that 35s do rub, albeit slightly enough that it sounds like some fender trimming is all that is needed. Basically though, they don't fit... unless mall crawling.

I just put Nitto TG 35x11.5r17s on my 2-door Rubicon just this Thursday and could immediately tell even before taking off road that there would be high likelihood of rubbing in the rear fender at least.
Keep in mind that actual tire sizes vary and you can't trust manufacturer web sites. Some, like BFG All Terrains run small and will fit just fine. Also, many people consider a 315/70R17 to be a 35 when in fact they are a little shorter. These Nitto TG's measure 34-3/4" tall, 11" wide at 37 psi and the width is nearly identical to stock; 9-1/4" tread and just under 11-1/4" sidewall on a 7.5" wheel. So I don't think you can say "35's rub" only "these 35's rub."

Similar to @threejeeps, I am going to install some Teraflex spacers. Less because of cost bit more because I only want the most modest of lifts to clear the new tires without rubbing. If the either the Mopar or Dynatrac coil lifts actually delivered a true 2 inches of lift I would go with those but every actual measurement posted that I have seen shows >2 inches.

Thanks everyone. Learning a lot from the input here.

EDIT: I was also considering whether the coils from the new Xtreme package would be available in coming weeks (+1.5 inch over stanrdard Rubi supposedly). Not sure if anyone has heard about these. Would welcome news.
I heartily endorse the "as low as possible, as much lift as needed" approach. The truth is springs should not substitute for bump stops. I suggest adding 1/2" of bump stop and then see if you need more height. I wish Synergy made a 1" lift spring for us 2-doors...

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Reporting in to this thread.

Few weeks ago I purchased Nitto Trail Grapplers 35x11.5r17s. Installed on Rubicon with OEM rims. No lift. .. shared elsewhere so perhaps not new news to everyone.

Since then, I took my Jeep on some mild+ off road trails that did involve full flex. Probably similar to @Kreepin1, I noticed slight touching on the bulge in back of rear wheel well liner under full flex. If I weren't planning on adding a small lift I would probably trim a bit to prevent wheel snagging on the liner at full flex. Before and after pics below.

BEFORE:
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Rubicon on 35s no lift IMG_0062

AFTER:
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Rubicon on 35s no lift IMG_0087