JLU Rubicon on 35s no lift

HellaRubi

First Name
Sher or Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Hellayella; F87 M2C; E90 M3
Any tire than is a foot or wider will need a minimum of 8” wide wheel.

The stock rubicon is 7.5 inches wide because the stock 33” KO2’s are 285mm/~11.22” wide. Jeep went with the thinnest wheel they could get away with to be able to put a 285/70R17 tire.

So any 315/70, 35”, 37”, or 40” tire that is 315mm(12.4”) / 12.5” / 13.5” wide will technically require a minimum 8”-8.5” wide wheel. Technically.
I'm looking for the "OEM+" look. I like all 3 stock Rubicon wheel designs (standard, upgraded, and Recon / 4xe), so I currently want to stay with those. I ordered with the standard wheel, but I really am enamored with the Recon / 4xe wheel appearance. I would like the tire to "pooch out" a bit past the fender edges, but doesn't have to be dramatic. The tire can be somewhere between the stock tire diameter of ~32.7" and 35". Stock suspension. Town (towne?) jeep with possibly some very very tame off-road a couple times a year. I would like to avoid wheel spacers. I would like the modification to appear a bit "beefier" than stock.

What are the best ways to achieve this, without going with wheel spacers? Maybe a 295 or a 305 tire for a little extra width to stick out a bit past the fenders, but even 305 is not substantially wider than 285, and 50% of that 20mm width increase goes to the inside where it's not visible. And even 305 might not be "allowed" on the 7.5" stock wheel.

I've thought about it a lot, and I can't seem to come up with a definitive solution outside of wheel spacers.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I'm looking for the "OEM+" look. I like all 3 stock Rubicon wheel designs (standard, upgraded, and Recon / 4xe), so I currently want to stay with those. I ordered with the standard wheel, but I really am enamored with the Recon / 4xe wheel appearance. I would like the tire to "pooch out" a bit past the fender edges, but doesn't have to be dramatic. The tire can be somewhere between the stock tire diameter of ~32.7" and 35". Stock suspension. Town (towne?) jeep with possibly some very very tame off-road a couple times a year. I would like to avoid wheel spacers. I would like the modification to appear a bit "beefier" than stock.

What are the best ways to achieve this, without going with wheel spacers? Maybe a 295 or a 305 tire for a little extra width to stick out a bit past the fenders, but even 305 is not substantially wider than 285, and 50% of that 20mm width increase goes to the inside where it's not visible. And even 305 might not be "allowed" on the 7.5" stock wheel.

I've thought about it a lot, and I can't seem to come up with a definitive solution outside of wheel spacers.
FYI: there have been some changes in the past year, and according to this you can run a 315/70r-17 BFG K02 on a 7.5"-11" wheel. From: https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/bfgoodrich-all-terrain-t-a-ko2

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Rubicon on 35s no lift Capture.PNG

HellaRubi

First Name
Sher or Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Thank you.

So that would be 30mm wider than stock tire, with 1/2 of that to the inside, so 15mm extra "pooch". Still sounds pretty small, but might have a bigger impact on the look than I'm giving it credit for. What do you think?
Just because the tire is 30mm wider doesn't mean you'll get 30mm more width. It's still being pinched in the middle by the same size wheel as before.

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
Thank you.

So that would be 30mm wider than stock tire, with 1/2 of that to the inside, so 15mm extra "pooch". Still sounds pretty small, but might have a bigger impact on the look than I'm giving it credit for. What do you think?
My stock set up with factory Falken MT 285-75 tires puts the side wall even with the outer edge of the fender. If the 15mm ≈ .6” is accurate, then you would have a bit more than 1/2” of poke.

HellaRubi

First Name
Sher or Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaRubi said:
....so 15mm extra "pooch". Still sounds pretty small, but might have a bigger impact on the look than I'm giving it credit for. What do you think?
If the 15mm ≈ .6” is accurate, then you would have a bit more than 1/2” of poke.

The 15mm still sounds pretty small, but might have a bigger visual impact than I'm giving it credit for. What do you think?

Sponsored

threejeeps

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The 15mm still sounds pretty small, but might have a bigger visual impact than I'm giving it credit for. What do you think?
Literally just did this on a (currently) stock JLUR with upgraded OEM Rubicon wheels and 315/70r17 BFG KO2s. Tread is just about at edge of the fenders and the sidewall is just outside which is exactly what I was going for.

474377A8-47D3-4E8D-970F-6A93DA4F05FC.jpeg

HellaRubi

First Name
Sher or Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Literally just did this on a (currently) stock JLUR with upgraded OEM Rubicon wheels and 315/70r17 BFG KO2s. Tread is just about at edge of the fenders and the sidewall is just outside which is exactly what I was going for.

474377A8-47D3-4E8D-970F-6A93DA4F05FC.jpeg
Very good! How is it in person, compared to the stock 285 tires?

This is good, this is what a 315 tire will look like. Thanks.

Any sass-back from the tire shop when you went to have them installed?

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think @threejeeps answered your question perfectly. I think it looks pretty good, YMMV.

Thanks @threejeeps, now I am feeling inadequate, I only have TWO Jeeps. ☹

threejeeps

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I think @threejeeps answered your question perfectly. I think it looks pretty good, YMMV.

Thanks @threejeeps, now I am feeling inadequate, I only have TWO Jeeps. ☹
@Steve JLUR haha...don't worry, only one is a Wrangler :)

@HellaRubi The pictures don't do justice to the size difference of the 315s vs stock tires. I did get some pushback from the shop on needing a test fit, how I will get double charged on the test fit tire, that it is not recommended and the tire will not fit on the spare mount etc.. I just told them that I knew what I was getting into and was confident the tires will fit and it was all good.

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Steve JLUR haha...don't worry, only one is a Wrangler :)

@HellaRubi The pictures don't do justice to the size difference of the 315s vs stock tires. I did get some pushback from the shop on needing a test fit, how I will get double charged on the test fit tire, that it is not recommended and the tire will not fit on the spare mount etc.. I just told them that I knew what I was getting into and was confident the tires will fit and it was all good.
No issues with the spare fitting? Do you have plastic or steel bumpers, standard or reinforced tire carrier (OEM)?

By the way, only one of mine is too.
Sponsored