First Name
Jean-Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Just checking in with those who did an upgrade to 35's if they notice a difference in the handling of their Jeeps especially with large standing water on roadways. I am running BFGoodrich T/A K02 and hydroplaning is much more noticeable.
Sponsored

Gotcha-Again-LOL

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon Mojito
Vehicle Showcase
M
Just checking in with those who did an upgrade to 35's if they notice a difference in the handling of their Jeeps especially with large standing water on roadways. I am running BFGoodrich T/A K02 and hydroplaning is much more noticeable.
My brother has not noticed a difference. He thought it would be better since the lugs are farther apart with larger water channels. The added width probably does make it more likely to hydroplane...just have to slow down I guess lol

Daffydnbugs

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler RUBICON
Does the spare tire carrier need reinforcement for 35's or is the stock carrier good to go?

Bumps Ahead

First Name
Valerie & Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ontherocks4x4.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Happy Wife, Happy Life....
Vehicle Showcase
35’s on Rubicon 4XE with no lift, no issues at all, drives same, could not even tell they were changed and drove highway at 65 for a bit as well, no rubbing (flex it pretty hard on the trail and I bet it would....), tailgate is not reinforced and handles this rim/tire combo no problem (clears stock steel bumper with about 1/4” as well). No experience with hydroplaning, but not much rain in So Cal, so not too worried but have heard from others the KO2 is not the best pick for rain areas.

BFG KO2’s 35 x 12.50 x 17
Black Rhino Kelso 17 x 9 (sku 1790KLS-85127G71)

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Rubicon on 35s no lift 458C4AF1-24E3-473D-9F0D-A4231332E5F3

Eventually will lift it, but kinda want to wait while aftermarket figures out the right setup for the 4XE‘s extra weight, for now gonna take the scenic trails and enjoy the views!

DSW21

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Does the spare tire carrier need reinforcement for 35's or is the stock carrier good to go?
I personally wouldn't do it, but I've seen people run 37s without any additional reinforcement. With that said, I have reinforcement on mine with the spare 35. Don't want any potential issues with the tailgate door in the long term.

EDIT: I'd say that most people use reinforcement for 35s.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I personally wouldn't do it, but I've seen people run 37s without any additional reinforcement. With that said, I have reinforcement on mine with the spare 35. Don't want any potential issues with the tailgate door in the long term.

EDIT: I'd say that most people use reinforcement for 35s.
I reinforced my tailgate, better safe than sorry. If you are going to replace the bumper and tire carrier, then don't worry about the reinforcements.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only issue that I have had with the 315 x 12.5 Cooper sst tires is the rear wheel can run against the stupid piece of plastic by the rear bumper. I feel like ripping the crap off. As far as I can tell, the plastic bump has zero use and the light piece above it catches the lugs on the tires. Comments?

Devil6Dog

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Snazzleberry, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee,
35’s on Rubicon 4XE with no lift, no issues at all, drives same, could not even tell they were changed and drove highway at 65 for a bit as well, no rubbing (flex it pretty hard on the trail and I bet it would....), tailgate is not reinforced and handles this rim/tire combo no problem (clears stock steel bumper with about 1/4” as well). No experience with hydroplaning, but not much rain in So Cal, so not too worried but have heard from others the KO2 is not the best pick for rain areas.

BFG KO2’s 35 x 12.50 x 17
Black Rhino Kelso 17 x 9 (sku 1790KLS-85127G71)

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Rubicon on 35s no lift 74D53E36-E2AE-4A15-A01D-23E74013A2DC

Eventually will lift it, but kinda want to wait while aftermarket figures out the right setup for the 4XE‘s extra weight, for now gonna take the scenic trails and enjoy the views!
Beautiful jeep

MatthewAMEL

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '23 CT5 Blackwing, '18 Accord Touring
New member here and happy I found this thread.

I have a JLURD. Looking to get some 35"'s in the near future for trails out west.

My understanding is the Diesel already has a lift that is nearly equivalent to the 2" Mopar. Any issues running a 17x9 with 35's at full-flex?

I apologize if this has been answered 100 times already. It's a 37 page thread. :D

Sponsored

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New member here and happy I found this thread.

I have a JLURD. Looking to get some 35"'s in the near future for trails out west.

My understanding is the Diesel already has a lift that is nearly equivalent to the 2" Mopar. Any issues running a 17x9 with 35's at full-flex?

I apologize if this has been answered 100 times already. It's a 37 page thread. :D
I just went out to some great trails by Lone Pine and had zero problems with rubbing. I am running cooper stt 315x12.5 without the lift. No issues at all.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Ok I have read many many posts until I am blue in the face. Please confirm that I can run a BGF 35" 12.5" tire on the factory Rubicon rims with NO lift and attain no rubbing? If rubbing does occur, where? inner fender? or somewhere else?

I have been shopping rims/wheels forever, but really am perfectly happy in keeping my factory wheels if all possible,

Oh, and I am a fan of Discount Tire, are you saying they won't install them? Where do you go then to get them mounted/installed? Or is it a crapshoot at Discount?

Thank you all very much!

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok I have read many many posts until I am blue in the face. Please confirm that I can run a BGF 35" 12.5" tire on the factory Rubicon rims with NO lift and attain no rubbing? If rubbing does occur, where? inner fender? or somewhere else?

I have been shopping rims/wheels forever, but really am perfectly happy in keeping my factory wheels if all possible,

Oh, and I am a fan of Discount Tire, are you saying they won't install them? Where do you go then to get them mounted/installed? Or is it a crapshoot at Discount?

Thank you all very much!
Discount tire refused to mount the 315x12.5 cooper stt pro tires on stock Rubicon rims. I ended up with fuel rims. I was told that the stock rims are too narrow to be safe.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Any tire than is a foot or wider will need a minimum of 8” wide wheel.

The stock rubicon is 7.5 inches wide because the stock 33” KO2’s are 285mm/~11.22” wide. Jeep went with the thinnest wheel they could get away with to be able to put a 285/70R17 tire.

So any 315/70, 35”, 37”, or 40” tire that is 315mm(12.4”) / 12.5” / 13.5” wide will technically require a minimum 8”-8.5” wide wheel. Technically.

JPajot

First Name
Jean-Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
How do you like the Rusty’s lift? Which shocks did you go with?
Sorry for the delay. Just noticed the post. I like the 2" lift kit by Rusty's. I think they have given some thought about their system and not pull stuff off the shelf to adapt to JLU platform. I went with their performance kit because it made the most economic sense labor wise. As to the shock, they are the Bilstein B6 because I already had them on the vehicle before the lift. If you are doing a complete suspension upgrade I would consider the B8s. I also upgraded the steering damper to Bilstein B8. Finally, I did add the Synergy track bar and sector shaft brace. Jeep is still drivable on city/highway.
Sponsored