rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
How are the Yokohamas working out?
Still in my basement lol. Been busy with work and haven't gotten around to them yet. Soon though. I did mount one on the spare. Installing that and the tire carrier bracket etc today. :) Will post a pic.
Sponsored

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
How are the Yokohamas working out?
I think I replied to this but in case I didnt. They are still in basment unmounted. I did get around to doing the rear tire carrier upgrade and mounted one GEO. 4 more to go. :)

tomahawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting Gray ordered 16 Aug delivered 11 Sep.,,2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7 Hemi, Traded 2017 JKU Big Bear, 2012 Ford Focus.
Beautiful! Looking to do the same. Did you use wheel spacers?
I bought wheel spacers, but did not use/need them. I since added the Mopar 2 inch lift.

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
The Coopers rode great around town. Were soft riding and quiet, but on the highway would literally shake your fillings loose. In addition to the vibration they seemed to push the Jeep in a bit of a side to side motion. Felt like fishtailing.

I was explaining it to the guys at the tire store and they said, ā€œWell it is a mud tire.ā€ I said, ā€œHop in.ā€ As soon as we hit 65 mph their eyes got big and they just said, ā€œOk, what other tire would you like to try?ā€ No other questions asked.

Now, around town the Yokohamas ā€œfeel like a mud tireā€ but they ride nice enough with a little less air. Most importantly there is no crazy vibration. In fact theyā€™re very smooth at highway speeds.

Iā€™ve always been a huge Cooper fan, had them on my last three jeeps, but they seem to have a herd time making ā€œroundā€ tires anymore. I miss the old STTs.
Sorry about the delay on getting you a picture of the Geolanders on my Rubicon. This is not much but more will come, provided I keep them.

Unfortunately they are not balancing well for me. They were fine for the first few weeks but now they are rough riding and vibrate over 45. I have heard of a few folks having issues with some of the Yoko AT and MT in terms of begin hard to balance.

The lack of a smooth-ish ride is a concern. They feel like knobby tires at times and have a bounce to them. I am running them at 39 PSI which was not my choice. The dealer muffed the PSI I asked for at install (34 PSI cold).

So how are yours holding up and have you had any balance or vibration issues? Along with knobby tire feeling?

Lastly are your measuring to be true 35s or more like 34? Mine are 34.3 max mounted on the wheel but not on Jeep. Once mounted on the Jeep they are 34 even.

IMG_0806 (1).jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

GraniteRubi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Rubicon
Sorry to hear youā€™re having issues with your Yokohamas. Mine have been and continue to be great. My wife drove my Jeep for the first time this weekend and even mentioned how well it drives and handles. Sounds like your tire store just didnā€™t get em balanced right or you slung a weight. Take em back to them and have em make it right.

Iā€™m running mine at 35 psi and they sit right at 34.5. Canā€™t really ask for much more than that.

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Sorry to hear youā€™re having issues with your Yokohamas. Mine have been and continue to be great. My wife drove my Jeep for the first time this weekend and even mentioned how well it drives and handles. Sounds like your tire store just didnā€™t get em balanced right or you slung a weight. Take em back to them and have em make it right.

Iā€™m running mine at 35 psi and they sit right at 34.5. Canā€™t really ask for much more than that.
Thanks. It is encouraging to hear things are going well with yours. I am heading to a 4x4 builders shop (today) who has the equipment and experience needed to do the job properly. I am hoping for the best. That said, it may turn out I got a bad tire or set of tires.

If so I can return them for a full refund or replacement with a new set.

Fingers crossed.

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Thanks. It is encouraging to hear things are going well with yours. I am heading to a 4x4 builders shop (today) who has the equipment and experience needed to do the job properly. I am hoping for the best. That said, it may turn out I got a bad tire or set of tires.

If so I can return them for a full refund or replacement with a new set.

Fingers crossed.
I ended up returning the Yokohamas and getting a set of Nexen Roadian MTXs. They are built like tanks and great off road in limited use. On street you get the MT hum and the clearly on grabbing at the asphalt. I will report back when I have 500 to 1000 miles on they. By a 1000 I will know what I have.

Roadforce scores where a bit higher (21-26) but a few of my YOKOS where 35+. We will see. But for now they do their job, look good and I got a nice deal on them to boot.

Kev84

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
35x12.5x17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
17x8.5 -6 Fuel Trophy

upload_2020-1-20_22-4-33.jpeg

upload_2020-1-20_22-4-14.jpeg

Sponsored

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I made the switch to rarely seen/newer Nexen Roadian MTXs LT35x12.5x17. After some back n forth with TireBuyer (they were great) I got a set made in 2019 vs 2018 with better road force scores.

The first set (April 2018 mfg date) had tires in the 30s and 40s (road force scores pre-balance). Ideally you want the teens/low 20s max before a road force balance. The 2019s ranged from upper teens to mid 20s on the road force machine but they were able to force balance them down to single and or low double digits. Ride is fine and I think is smoothing out as I break them in.

It is nice to have something a bit unique. While they clearly sound like a MT they are not super loud. Off road and in the snow they are great so far. F side wall is fine IMO. PSI set at 33-34 range and ride is very good.

Only 200 miles in so this is still the honeymoon phase. Will report back at 1000.

Note - if you decide to try these only accept 2019 mfg dates if you can and have them road force balanced. Go to a tire shop with the right equipment. They can test the rim and the tire for soundness and give you the best balance. IMO this is important if you are going to buy less expensive tires.

83037435_182719479468704_2832891257993297920_n.jpg

83718136_186010635927410_5204923505694474240_n.jpg

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Same set-up, 35/12.5/17 Nitto RG's. Nothing else done - stock height and wheels ā€¦
Jeep Rec Pic 1.jpg
I know you get a lot of snow in Chicago. Any regrets going to the Ridge Grapplers with snow covered amd packed roads?

WheelsASAP.com

First Name
Kali
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelsasap.com
Vehicle(s)
TRD Pro
Occupation
Wheel Guru
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY] Here is my JL Rubicon with 35x12.50 18 General Grabbers (red letter) on Spyderlock 18 inch wheels with no lift. It came out pretty cool.

59C8D7AB-994F-4F22-81FE-CFC231425213.jpeg

Looks Wicked :muscle: