Sponsored

JLU Rubi Vs Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

SuperNerdEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
A buddy and I enjoy off roading together. He’s got a Grand Cherokee TrailHawk, I’ve got a Rubicon, and we have loads of fun off roading together. But something we found odd was the listed breakover angle for both vehicles. The Rubi is listed as 22.6 degrees while the TrailHawk boasts an impressive 25.7. We were both surprised at this.

From what I can tell the ground clearance for both is 10.8 inches, but the wheelbase is slightly different, 114.8 for the TrailHawk and 118.4 for the Rubi. While this should give the TrailHawk a slight edge on breakover angle, I don’t see how it equates to that significant of a difference, and I know my trigonometry.

What am I missing?
Sponsored

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
A buddy and I enjoy off roading together. He’s got a Grand Cherokee TrailHawk, I’ve got a Rubicon, and we have loads of fun off roading together. But something we found odd was the listed breakover angle for both vehicles. The Rubi is listed as 22.6 degrees while the TrailHawk boasts an impressive 25.7. We were both surprised at this.

From what I can tell the ground clearance for both is 10.8 inches, but the wheelbase is slightly different, 114.8 for the TrailHawk and 118.4 for the Rubi. While this should give the TrailHawk a slight edge on breakover angle, I don’t see how it equates to that significant of a difference, and I know my trigonometry.

What am I missing?
The trailhawk's breakover angle is 22.8...so not much different... probably has a shorter wheel base. 25.7 is the approach angle.

OP
OP
SuperNerdEE

SuperNerdEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I don’t think that’s the case. Per Jeeps website, “The Trailhawk® features a 36.1° approach angle( Disclosure5), 25.7° ramp breakover angle, 27.1° departure angle and 10.8 inches of ground clearance when you adjust off-road settings.”

Anecdotally, my buddy and I did a crude measurement and it does appear that the breakover angle is better in the TrailHawk than the JLU.

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
JL's frame hangs much lower than the rock rail area where as the WK2 has things mostly tucked in near the middle. Plus like you said, a 4 inch shorter wheelbase helps too.

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL

What am I missing?
Trailhawk has shorter wheel base.

Means nothing however if your comparing which vehicle is more capable off road.
Sponsored