OP

Stingerz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sport
Well, the dealer that did the swap is a couple hours away and I don't think they would be very helpful. My local dealer that I bought my Sport from is about 30 minutes, so I may stop by over there the next time I am in the area.

I'm not in any hurry, just want to make sure and have everything ready for when I do it. It would really suck to get the old stuff taken off and then not have the right parts on hand to put on.

How easy is it to change the LCA? Probably best to do it the same time as the springs/shocks?
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Well, the dealer that did the swap is a couple hours away and I don't think they would be very helpful. My local dealer that I bought my Sport from is about 30 minutes, so I may stop by over there the next time I am in the area.

I'm not in any hurry, just want to make sure and have everything ready for when I do it. It would really suck to get the old stuff taken off and then not have the right parts on hand to put on.

How easy is it to change the LCA? Probably best to do it the same time as the springs/shocks?
Shocks aren't too hard to source, assuming the pair w/ the wide mounts is correct part# finding another pair even on this site might work out. Stuff like that shows up quite a bit, might even post a WTB thread just for a full Rubicon shock set, might get lucky.

LCAs are easy to change w/ the right tools and leverage, about an hr job and can be done anytime, I did mine about 2 weeks after I swapped the springs.

OP
OP

Stingerz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sport
Thanks, I am thinking about getting another set of front Rubi shocks, the new LCAs, and a _3590 spring for the rear. I figure that if my stock ones are the same rear L/R that maybe I should keep them the same.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks, I am thinking about getting another set of front Rubi shocks, the new LCAs, and a _3590 spring for the rear. I figure that if my stock ones are the same rear L/R that maybe I should keep them the same.
As long as you're sure the shocks that are wrong are the front ones

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
Grooster, I will definitely look for the Mopar LCA. Most of my driving is highway, so that is the top priority. How big of a difference in springs was it for your rears?
Front shocks are definitely shorter than the rears. Here's pictures from a recent road trip to pickup two sets of Rubicon take offs for reference...

IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2051.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

Sponsored

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
Grooster, I will definitely look for the Mopar LCA. Most of my driving is highway, so that is the top priority. How big of a difference in springs was it for your rears?
We put the springs side by side and the visual difference is subtle. The proof is when you set the Jeep back on its own weight again. I haven't measured it since driving but I have done a side by side with a Rubicon and they were the same as my Sahara with Rubicon shoes. Side benefit - my wife prefers the Rubicon suspension over the Sahara. Who knew?!

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
As long as you're sure the shocks that are wrong are the front ones
you could just Google the part number on the shock, too. It will come up on one of many Mopar part sites and say which application the part applies to. That's what I did to confirm the springs. Easy.

OP
OP

Stingerz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sport
I tried googling the shock numbers and doing multiple searches on different mopar sites and could not come up with anything.

I did some more searching and saw some Rubi takeoff shock sets on Ebay that were:
6850_9434 / 6850_9430 ... and the 9434 were the longer ones and said for the rear.
So if I can just find a set of 6850_9430, then that should work for the front.

OP
OP

Stingerz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sport
Grooster,... yeah, we drove a Rubicon and my wife liked how it handled and the height and everything. I almost ordered one, but I didn't like that the locking front and rear diffs were only in 4Lo. It seemed like it was setup mainly for rocks. For our driving I wanted the LSD in the rear, and I may get a TruTrac LSD for the front.

If I understand correctly, putting the Rubi shocks/springs on will make it drive and handle like the Rubicon. Then if I put the longer mopar LCA on, then it should still feel like the Rubicon, but drive even better on the highway.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Grooster,... yeah, we drove a Rubicon and my wife liked how it handled and the height and everything. I almost ordered one, but I didn't like that the locking front and rear diffs were only in 4Lo. It seemed like it was setup mainly for rocks. For our driving I wanted the LSD in the rear, and I may get a TruTrac LSD for the front.

If I understand correctly, putting the Rubi shocks/springs on will make it drive and handle like the Rubicon. Then if I put the longer mopar LCA on, then it should still feel like the Rubicon, but drive even better on the highway.
You could also just keep your Rubicon springs and get better aftermarket shocks, I went with Fox 2.0s (for the zero to 1.5" lift applications) and it's a much better overall drive, especially off road and washboard type on road adventures :)

Bilstein makes JL shocks for the zero to 1.5" lift setups that are quite a bit less than the Fox shocks and get good overall feedback too. Might be something to consider, and keep in mind, all the shock & lift applications are based off the Rubicon from all I've seen. A stock Rubicon is zero lift so unless you lift further than 1.5" over a stock Rubicon those zero to 1.5" shock sets work well.

Sponsored

20-Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
You could also sell those take offs and look for some from a hardtop with tow and steel bumpers. The set that I found happened to be from one.

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director

Correct. I have the towing package that includes the LSD, which works great btw. Ride is identical to the Rubicon. My opinion is based on application of Rubicon takeoffs which include wheels, tires, springs, & shocks. Just what my Sahara needed. I will add a winch ahead of a front locker. That’s just me. Good luck!

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
You could also sell those take offs and look for some from a hardtop with tow and steel bumpers. The set that I found happened to be from one.
I got lucky and found a brand new set off a Rubi Recon that gave me a great lift. This was before the 392 or diesel came out and I believe they were the 'top' spring pairings available at that time...

2020 2 door sport s. 2.0t hard top & tow package.
stock spring pairings:
228/229 & 109/110
Rubicon Recon takeoff pairings:
661/662 & 591/592

Lifted all four corners equally by 2.5"
Did the LCA's at the same time.

OP
OP

Stingerz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sport
Yeah, I'm still looking for another set of Rubi take offs. If I find a set that has better numbers then I will pick them up. I only paid $150 for this set, so it seemed like a good idea.
Sponsored