First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rescue Green, 2019 JLUR
Occupation
Dog & Punk'ncon Mom
If you are looking to completely remove your JLU's Rear seat, I have done it and it's not difficult. I am NOT an expert, not a mechanic, and only presenting my experience, not offering advice.

I made it easy on myself since I was doing this alone and removed both rear doors. Fold down rear seat and headrests, remove all mats. I had the All-Weather Cargo Mats and Gap Hider - all of it comes out, just pull upwards. The Gap hider feels a bit tricky, but is just held on with the ubiquitous jeep "clips". I pulled straight up like I meant it and they came out.

There are nine 18mm bolts, and two 18mm nuts (outside edges) total that will need to be removed. I used a cheater bar, but did not need power tools. I removed the four on the floor that held the legs first, then the three on the top. With the seats folded down, these three are easy to see. Put the seatbacks upright, then removed three of the underseat bolts. I tied the "butt" part of the seats up to make getting to these easier. The remaining "seatbelt" bolt was a bugger. I wrested the seat nearly out and tackled that one.

The "legs" of the seat are sharp. I had purchased the "christmas tree bag" someone else had posted to store my removed rear seat. It is decent thickness and very affordable, but I punctured my bag with the sharp legs, and ended up wrapping the whole thing in plastic wrap.

IMG_20191017_112344.jpg

IMG_20191017_114618.jpg

IMG_20191017_115115.jpg

IMG_20191017_131650.jpg

IMG_20191017_135516.jpg

IMG_20191017_140507.jpg

IMG_20191017_141345.jpg

IMG_20191017_153412.jpg
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
So, crazy question here. Is it possible to split the seat in two and just reinstall the larger section? I want to make more room for our dog but leave the larger seat in there for my son.

OP
OP
Amazonica

Amazonica

First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog & Punk'ncon Mom
Possible, probably. Safe, probably not. I am not a pro but there are only three bolts holding the seats on, on the top side. Not sure if cutting the metal "spine" support would retain the crash-test integrity. When I took mine out the seats are hooked together.

Magnetdragon

First Name
Erwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlu!!
Possible, probably. Safe, probably not. I am not a pro but there are only three bolts holding the seats on, on the top side. Not sure if cutting the metal "spine" support would retain the crash-test integrity. When I took mine out the seats are hooked together.
They are just bolted together and can be separated without damaging the seats. Goosegear sells a bolt on bracket to retain the smaller seat to the stock mounting points so I don't see why you couldn't get a fab shop to make a bracket for the bigger portion that is just hanging without support? Since the seat would still have the mounting hardware attached to the bigger portion.

OP
OP
Amazonica

Amazonica

First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog & Punk'ncon Mom
They are just bolted together and can be separated without damaging the seats. Goosegear sells a bolt on bracket to retain the smaller seat to the stock mounting points so I don't see why you couldn't get a fab shop to make a bracket for the bigger portion that is just hanging without support? Since the seat would still have the mounting hardware attached to the bigger portion.
Good to know^^. I did not try to separate them, just wanted them out completely.

Sponsored

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Odd / dumb question, but would one be able to swap a JLU rear seat into a JL?

OP
OP
Amazonica

Amazonica

First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog & Punk'ncon Mom
Odd / dumb question, but would one be able to swap a JLU rear seat into a JL?
That I don't know, but I know where you can get a Tan leather 2019 JLU backseat for CHEAP! ;)

I'm loving having the whole back for my dog and gear. I don't worry about 'resale' value much. I installed the Springtail platform and really like it.

Platinum7990

First Name
Zeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2021 Rubicon 392 & 2022 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Anyone know how to remove the armrest in the rear seat? The arm rest with the cup holders.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi @Amazonica

Thank you for the write up.

I know it's been a long time since you wrote the OP but I am hoping you will notice the question and offer some info.

Do you remove the seat assembly out of the side doors or twist it and pull it out of the back?

Thank you!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Amazonica

Amazonica

First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog & Punk'ncon Mom
Hi @Amazonica

Thank you for the write up.

I know it's been a long time since you wrote the OP but I am hoping you will notice the question and offer some info.

Do you remove the seat assembly out of the side doors or twist it and pull it out of the back?

Thank you!
I pulled it out of the passenger side. Seemed easier to me, but I'd think you could lift it and pull it out the back. There are some metal brackets that will scratch paint, so keep an eye out for that as you remove it.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thank you for explaining. I was hoping to learn it will fit out the side door.

Thank you!

OP
OP
Amazonica

Amazonica

First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog & Punk'ncon Mom
Thank you for explaining. I was hoping to learn it will fit out the side door.

Thank you!
YW, If I had to do it again, I would put painters tape or something around the sharp brackets. Especially if you're doing it by yourself.
Sponsored