Sponsored

JLU Rampage Windbreaker + Tonneau cover vs Bestop Windjammer + Duster -Water resistance w Safari Top

Marc3

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Hey gang. 1st time Jeep owner and picked up our '20 Blue Rubicon JLU 2 weeks ago which will be the wife's daily driver. I am having more fun "pimping her ride" than I ever imagined. :)

We have a hardtop since we live in MI but I've ordered the Bestop Safari (if it ever ships) and thought to combine it with the windbreaker + tonneau cover while running topless in the summer with the hopes that it could keep most of the Jeep interior dry during a light drizzle. Maybe wishful thinking?

Bought the Rampage pieces given the price difference and many favorable reviews. Received both and the quality and thickness is better than I anticipated given the price.
-Also to note: the tag on both says "Black Twill" even though they are marketed as "Black Diamond" fabric.

Q: The material does indeed feel like fabric and not plastic as some had described Black Diamond. Could it be that Lund chose to use better materials on the pieces I just received or is the Bestop "Black Diamond" different that Lund's (Rampage brand owner)?

Q: For anyone who's seen both the Rampage Windbreaker and the Bestop Windjammer, do either of these do a good job covering the gap between the rear door and the tonneau area? Are they both very similar or is one better than this other for this purpose?

Q: I bought the Bestop tailgate bar as I could not find one by Rampage. Assume that this bar will work with the Rampage Tonneau (we don't have a factory soft top or HW).

Q: I assume that the Bestop Safari top (from looking at all assembly instructions) could easily mix/match with my Rampage windbreaker + tonneau cover. Any opinion on that? Anyone have this setup?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Subscribing because I plan to combine the Rampage tonneau and windbreaker with my Premium Soft Top with the same goal - never have to put the windows in during the summer even when it rains. Would love more feedback on the Tonneau/Windbreaker

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have the windbreaker, however the safari top and cargo cover do a great job repelling water. Of course you would still get water in from the gap in the door frame and i might run down where the back seat is meets. I have only been rained on once with it in the year of owning it. I tend to keep an eye on the future forecast and if there a chance of rain I throw the hardtop back on. But, if it fully covered the door tops I would not be worried about it being rained on.

gcnd06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BW JLUR (lemon'd), 2019 SG JLUR
I have rampage toneau and windbreaker. The windbreaker really does nothing imo for rain and just run the tonneau.

If you want something that actually seals the corners by the doors+tonneau+plus windbreaker that will seal up about 99%, check out the mastertop JL soft top combo

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mastertop/ultimate-summer-soft-top-combo-wrangler-jl-unlimited

that actually comes with pieces that attach to the windbreaker and tonneau to seal the corners by the door.

OP
OP

Marc3

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I have rampage toneau and windbreaker. The windbreaker really does nothing imo for rain and just run the tonneau.

If you want something that actually seals the corners by the doors+tonneau+plus windbreaker that will seal up about 99%, check out the mastertop JL soft top combo

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mastertop/ultimate-summer-soft-top-combo-wrangler-jl-unlimited

that actually comes with pieces that attach to the windbreaker and tonneau to seal the corners by the door.
wow -thanks! I see this addresses my concern behind the rear doors nicely. I wish I'd seen that option but we'll see how it goes or maybe I'll try to sell the Rampage pieces locally. Only thing I wonder in this config is they expect a factory soft top and I don't have that so not sure if it's expecting any of the OEM soft top HW. Thanks for responding!

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

Out of curiosity, can you run the windbreaker with the top down?

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
I have the Rampage brief top, windbreaker, and tonneau cover. I use the tonneau cover all the time, not so much the others, since I have a soft top. My plan was to remove my soft top completely, and use all 3 to keep somewhat dry. The top has big gaps on the sides, so rain would definitely get in there. The windbreaker only really covers to about the headrests, so there's a big gap from door to headrest. I like the looks of it, but the entire package doesn't work well to keep rain out. The material is thick, and they are very nice though, especially at the prices I paid.

I've read here somewhere that a forum member has successfully used the Bestop tailgate bar with the Rampage tonneau cover, but you should definitely search the forums for confirmation before committing to that.

You can use the windbreaker with the top down. I just think it looks a little silly and I'm not sure the purpose of the windbreaker with the soft top on/up/down. Maybe I need to ask my kids if it decreases the wind at all.

After looking at the Mastertop pictures, that looks like a better solution, but you're paying more for it. And I'm still not sure there is a brief top that covers to the doors.

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
just received my Mastertop Tonneau and windjammer this past Friday and put it on the other day. Got the twill. It's well made and extremely tight fitting. Took a lot of stretching to get it on.

The wraparound windjammer is a nice feature and I think this set would go well with the bestop trektop ultra

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Just wanted to say i like the Rampage Tonneau cover a lot. I just got the windbreaker and i don’t think it really does anything.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Rampage brief top, windbreaker, and tonneau cover. I use the tonneau cover all the time, not so much the others, since I have a soft top. My plan was to remove my soft top completely, and use all 3 to keep somewhat dry. The top has big gaps on the sides, so rain would definitely get in there. The windbreaker only really covers to about the headrests, so there's a big gap from door to headrest. I like the looks of it, but the entire package doesn't work well to keep rain out. The material is thick, and they are very nice though, especially at the prices I paid.

I've read here somewhere that a forum member has successfully used the Bestop tailgate bar with the Rampage tonneau cover, but you should definitely search the forums for confirmation before committing to that.

You can use the windbreaker with the top down. I just think it looks a little silly and I'm not sure the purpose of the windbreaker with the soft top on/up/down. Maybe I need to ask my kids if it decreases the wind at all.

After looking at the Mastertop pictures, that looks like a better solution, but you're paying more for it. And I'm still not sure there is a brief top that covers to the doors.
Like you, I plan on using the tonneau by itself, but just curious how much the loose leading edge flaps around or balloons at highway speeds when not secured by the windjammer. I'm driving a 2-door, so not sure if that has any impact on this either.

Sponsored

Bad324

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Sport
just received my Mastertop Tonneau and windjammer this past Friday and put it on the other day. Got the twill. It's well made and extremely tight fitting. Took a lot of stretching to get it on.

The wraparound windjammer is a nice feature and I think this set would go well with the bestop trektop ultra
Is the wraparound windjammer a quick on and off or is it a pain? Considering going this route so I don’t have to worry about windows but ideally would only put the windjammer on for days I could potentially get caught out in rain

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Like you, I plan on using the tonneau by itself, but just curious how much the loose leading edge flaps around or balloons at highway speeds when not secured by the windjammer. I'm driving a 2-door, so not sure if that has any impact on this either.
The tonneau doesn’t flap or anything when it’s by itself. I ran that way for months.

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Is the wraparound windjammer a quick on and off or is it a pain? Considering going this route so I don’t have to worry about windows but ideally would only put the windjammer on for days I could potentially get caught out in rain
The first time is a bit of a pain as it has clips that you screw into the back of the rollbar so the straps can clip in. So the first time is a pain but after that it's not bad. The only real pain is the way they have the side straps connected requires you to unclip them when you run top up as the can interfere with the movement, It in no way affects performance tho

We ran a similar setup that had gaps on our JK and this setup is more weather tight.

Bad324

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Sport
The first time is a bit of a pain as it has clips that you screw into the back of the rollbar so the straps can clip in. So the first time is a pain but after that it's not bad. The only real pain is the way they have the side straps connected requires you to unclip them when you run top up as the can interfere with the movement, It in no way affects performance tho

We ran a similar setup that had gaps on our JK and this setup is more weather tight.
Awesome thanks. I’ll probably pull the trigger and order it since I picked up a used top on the cheap since it was missing a back window and I like the idea of this instead of having to hail around the big oem windows on those in between days

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Awesome thanks. I’ll probably pull the trigger and order it since I picked up a used top on the cheap since it was missing a back window and I like the idea of this instead of having to hail around the big oem windows on those in between days
here’s some photos

1637DFC3-DD24-48D5-AEE2-5BC095DBD3EB.jpeg

9BFA7C2F-7357-494D-A75C-F289CB5CE12D.jpeg
Sponsored