Sponsored

JLU pulling a travel trailer? No problem!

OP
OP
Goheels050917

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
If the rig is set up properly it should tow fine. I would suggest you have the receiver strengthened to handle the torque of the WD hitch. I have had Can-Am RV in London ON set up and fine tune our rig with this modification. Give Andy Thompson a call.

I got the same one you did :)... 2018 Rpod 179.
Sponsored

harleypap57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Flight Communications for Medical Helicopter
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, that's a great price for that. 22 foot is a little longer then what I'm looking for, trying to keep it under 20 if possible
Th
Wow, that's a great price for that. 22 foot is a little longer then what I'm looking for, trying to keep it under 20 if possible
I've been looking around for months and can't find anything with a decent size shower to accommodate my size. We also wanted something where we could get out of bed without crawling over the other person. The actual camper is 20 feet but they add 2 feet for the tongue. I just need to find one local so I can look at it and make sure that's what we want.

OP
OP
Goheels050917

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just picked up a small teardrop type camper for behind the JLUR. It is sturdy and can be pulled down the trail.

w5K0VtetaX2fhWfhqhicMqILodGiYho7xCnq1JBGraHZIoweoziejiXWWc1D2owAYt2C0yh0USUaR_MIEk=w1010-h757-no.jpg

QhLw2jsST5aYarY49BDa9hF1Zggzmmn8ZocnhLfu_6oOTKIzV6DfTkXa8fYd3xoGdnj7cZP4-dtj4IgJdB=w1346-h757-no.jpg

Headed from Michigan to Colorado in a couple weeks.

I love it! Man I am glad I got a trailer, but still if I would have known what I know how, and how much I would like it, I would have done this 10 years ago.

pdavey168

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Grey, 2020 JT Launch Edition Bright White, 2018 Porsche Macan S
Occupation
CEO offroadparts.com
Just brought this one home not too long ago. It's a 16' Airstream Caravel. It towed very well from the dealer which is about 30 miles away. Cant wait to get out on a trip with the Jeep to test her out. I used my Ram for the maiden voyage since the trip was an 11 hour drive away. I plan to tow it with my Jeep on shorter runs that are under 5 hours or so away. I'm running 35's currently with a 2.5" lift. It's getting a 3.5"MC Lift as we speak and I plan to go to 37"s. Now I just have to figure out what gears are going to be the sweet spot.

IMG_3221.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
Goheels050917

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just brought this one home not too long ago. It's a 16' Airstream Caravel. It towed very well from the dealer which is about 30 miles away. Cant wait to get out on a trip with the Jeep to test her out. I used my Ram for the maiden voyage since the trip was an 11 hour drive away. I plan to tow it with my Jeep on shorter runs that are under 5 hours or so away. I'm running 35's currently with a 2.5" lift. It's getting a 3.5"MC Lift as we speak and I plan to go to 37"s. Now I just have to figure out what gears are going to be the sweet spot.

IMG_3221.JPG
Very cool! The feeling of taking your new jeep camping with your new trailer is awesome! Excited to see all of these cool posts!

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara

IMG_3221.JPG
Is it too heavy for the Jeep? I'm REALLY itching to get back into camping and I had wanted to go airstream but the weight. My Wrangler has the tow package.

Last edited:

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
If you have the receiver strengthened up to a Class IV by a reputable hitch shop and use a weight distribution and anti-sway bars tuned properly you should have no problem with an Airstream up to 25'. I have used my JKU with 3.73 diffs to tow all over North America including mountain passes and hot desert with no problems. I expect my JLUR will be even better with 4.10 diffs.

People travel from all over to Can-Am RV to have hitch work done. The owner - Andy Thompson - is also generous with advice over the phone if you want to get the hitch strengthened locally.

Jeep and Airstream.jpg

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
We JUST purchased a 2020 Geo Pro G19FBS and are picking it up this weekend. It's just over 3000# dry with a 415# tongue weight. The Curt hitch is rated for 6000# / 600# but the JLUR is only rated 3500# / 350#. We are getting the Equal-i-zer for sway control and weight distribution. Our JLUR is not the primary tow vehicle, but any educated guesses on how well it would handle this trailer?

G19FBS.jpg
G19FBS FP.jpg

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
After pulling an R-pod through the hills of WV at ~3000lb you should be ok with a WD hitch.

Sponsored

pdavey168

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Grey, 2020 JT Launch Edition Bright White, 2018 Porsche Macan S
Occupation
CEO offroadparts.com
Is it too heavy for the Jeep? I'm REALLY itching to get back into camping and I had wanted to go airstream but the weight. My Wrangler has the tow package.
This unit is on the edge. It's 3200 dry. If you go with 16' Bambi which is the same floorplan as the Caravel it's 2800 dry.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
We JUST purchased a 2020 Geo Pro G19FBS and are picking it up this weekend. It's just over 3000# dry with a 415# tongue weight. The Curt hitch is rated for 6000# / 600# but the JLUR is only rated 3500# / 350#. We are getting the Equal-i-zer for sway control and weight distribution. Our JLUR is not the primary tow vehicle, but any educated guesses on how well it would handle this trailer?

G19FBS.jpg
G19FBS FP.jpg
The weak link in the Jeep Wrangler is the receiver. It is relatively weak and is only engineered for a tongue weight of 350 lbs. If you get the hitch strengthened to a Class IV by an experienced hitch shop you will be able to use a weight distribution hitch to transfer some of the hitch load, about 30% to the steering axle and another 30% to the trailer axles. Load the trailer so that 10-15% of the trailer weight is on the tongue and heavy items in front of the axle(s). Be sure and use a hitch that provides sway control as well.

Last edited:

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
The weak link in the Jeep Wrangler is the receiver. It is relatively and is only engineered for a tongue weight of 350 lbs. If you get the hitch strengthened to a Class IV by an experienced hitch shop you will be able to use a weight distribution hitch to transfer some of the hitch load, about 30% to the steering axle and another 30% to the trailer axles. Load the trailer so that 10-15% of the trailer weight is on the tongue and heavy items in front of the axle(s). Be sure and use a hitch that provides sway control as well.
Thank you @Adventure.AS ! I will check into getting the hitch strengthened. Will be using an Equal-i-zer for sway and weight distribution. Happy trails! :like:

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Thank you @Adventure.AS ! I will check into getting the hitch strengthened. Will be using an Equal-i-zer for sway and weight distribution. Happy trails! :like:
A tip for hooking up the WD bars. When coupled to the hitch ball use your electric tongue jack to lift the combined tongue and trailer up until the bars slip on easily. Do the same when unhitching.

Prozac

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara

G19FBS.jpg
G19FBS FP.jpg
I'm looking into the 19FD, which doesn't have the slide out, slightly different floor plan, but its a bit lighter at 2800lb dry and 390 on the hitch.
Sponsored