Sponsored

JLU pulling a travel trailer? No problem!

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Not sure if I missed anyone pulling this trailer, but has anyone tried out or looked at the Flagstaff 21 FBRS? It really looks like a nice functional design. Seems perfect for pulling with a Jeep Wrangler except the empty weight is almost 4200 pounds. Hitch weight is 410. I’ll bet if they made it without the slide out (which I would love) it would be right in the ballpark.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/flagstaff-micro-lite/21FBRS/894

Check out the E-Pro or Geo Pro line. They have what you’re looking for in the right weight. The one you posted above is WAY too heavy.

We pull a 3100lb Jayco Hybrid without any problems
Sponsored

nh4x4jeep

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
"there really is no way to properly add the tow package after the fact." ..I guess my plan has changed once again. I'll be selling my camping trailer and purchasing a Class C to tow the JL.
Whoah! Hit the brakes!!! I wouldn't ditch everything you have over one person's overly hyped opinion!!!

Look, it would have been better if you bought a Rubicon. Or heck, much better if you bought a Gladiator! Or much MUCH better if you bought a 3/4 ton truck. BUT you didn't!

Your original assessment is correct. Would factory installed stuff be "better"? Probably. Is it NECESSARY? PROBABLY NOT! IF you bought the 5000# trailer, it might make sense to rethink things... But you didn't.

Take a deep breath and have some confidence in your original decision! I think you did well. But, that's MY opinion. If you have ANY doubts 1) Redo the math 2) talk to Jeep 3) Maybe post the question. You said you weighed it and you were under on all weights, so there shouldn't be any reason why you're not fine. If you were over, the problem is with stopping.

You can tow with empty tanks to save a lot of weight too. Take a gallon jug for the trip and fill fresh water when you GET there. Empty ALL tanks before you leave!

>>"And we weren't intimidated..."
Of course not! YOU have a JEEP!

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Check out the E-Pro or Geo Pro line. They have what you’re looking for in the right weight. The one you posted above is WAY too heavy.

We pull a 3100lb Jayco Hybrid without any problems
What model? I don’t see a 3100#hybrid on the Jayco page

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
Wife and I are looking at the r pod 190 right now. Good to see several others in that same ballpark and having success. Only difference is ours is a stick behind the 3.6. I have the factory tow pkg and looking for any thoughts on the best/easiest install brake controller?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Goheels050917

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
Wife and I are looking at the r pod 190 right now. Good to see several others in that same ballpark and having success. Only difference is ours is a stick behind the 3.6. I have the factory tow pkg and looking for any thoughts on the best/easiest install brake controller?
Autowbrake...i got it look it up. Best product you can buy.

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR

tmcarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU S24
Occupation
CIO
Not to make any negative claims about the Autowbrake, I have not used one, but another option is the Curt Echo Mobile. It syncs to your SmartPhone and it is not permanently mounted so you can use it on multiple tow vehicle/trailer combinations. I have used this on six trips so far and I really like it. The proportional braking is spot-on, no over or under braking, no jerky-ness. It has never failed to automatically re-connect (bluetooth) to my iPhone 8 and it has never lost connection (can't speak to Android). I'm sure Autowbrake works well and is a good product, just pointing out an option if you don't want a permanent mount device. It is advised to place your SmartPhone in a dash holder, because the big orange button on the app allows manual braking.
(I am a non-paid non-attorney spokesman) ;-)
Safe towing.

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
Good to hear other options! Thank you.

Gogged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I would second the notion that you can definitely tow with a JL.

I bought this 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe back in January and have towed it from VA to PA, WV, and to Moab and back..(2000 miles each way). It is 2450 lbs dry weight with a hitch weight of 365 lbs. I use an Anderson weight distributing hitch to help with the weight which does sag the back end if you don't.

The JL has 3.5" Metalcloak lift with 37s. I regeared to 4:88 before I went to Moab last month. That definitely helped, though it did ok with the 4:10s before that. Gas mileage was about 13 mpg whilst towing.

On steep "hills" in auto it usually gets to about 3500 rpms to maintain 60-65 mph. It was definitely interesting going east back over the Rockies (not hills) where I had to hang in the right lane with the semis. Through all of it the transmission held up great and never had issues, always staying under 215 degrees.

If anyone wants a great little travel trailer, the Casita is awesome. Fiberglass top and bottom has fewer odds of leaks. They got better reviews than every other little trailer I researched.

uur4ZWXl.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Not to make any negative claims about the Autowbrake, I have not used one, but another option is the Curt Echo Mobile. It syncs to your SmartPhone and it is not permanently mounted so you can use it on multiple tow vehicle/trailer combinations. I have used this on six trips so far and I really like it. The proportional braking is spot-on, no over or under braking, no jerky-ness. It has never failed to automatically re-connect (bluetooth) to my iPhone 8 and it has never lost connection (can't speak to Android). I'm sure Autowbrake works well and is a good product, just pointing out an option if you don't want a permanent mount device. It is advised to place your SmartPhone in a dash holder, because the big orange button on the app allows manual braking.
(I am a non-paid non-attorney spokesman) ;-)
Safe towing.
I just learned about these new type of brake controllers minutes ago. Pretty sure I am going to go with one of the two discussed here. I like the idead of the curt but feel like it would be more prone to problems/safety issues. I don't like the idea of needing to have my phone with me to have brakes. What if I forget my phone? What if the phone doesn't connect which happens every now and then? What happens if I DO have my phone but it doesn't work because I dropped and broke it? I go through at least one phone a year because of this even with good cases. I have been buying used phones from ebay for years because of this.

I get annoyed by phones in general. I'd prefer not to add ANOTHER thing to it that I need to rely on.

I'm assuming the fob on the autow lets you lock the brakes???

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
You don’t need to convince me , or listen to Jeep the people who built your Jeep who say you need the tow package. Jeep already has your money and I ordered my jeep properly with the tow package so neither of us really care about your jeep without the tow package.
There are many differences in a tow vs non tow jeep. The cooling and another example is the rear axle when you order the factory trailer tow package it comes with heavier duty gear oil 75W/140 full synthetic gear oil.
You can do some forum searching this topic has been beat to death as there really is no way to properly add the tow package after the fact.
Again no need to argue with me, if you fry your jeep you’ll have to argue with jeep or get out your wallet neither of which affect me.
Good luck in your towing adventures, just remember don’t blame jeep , blame yourself when you come here to complain later.
Wow, what a douche. Congrats on your factory gear oil upgrade bro. You sir, are ignant. Now you can tell me why you arent and why I actually am.

Why are there so many angry little fluffy people on this website?

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU pulling a travel trailer? No problem! 83C3C89C-F7EF-43EE-A0F1-29FB5191A26E

Picked up an R-pod 190 today. Using a WD hitch and a sway control. Pulled just fine about 50 miles to home. Pretty much stayed in 4th at about 60/65 on the interstate. Lots of hills and no problems. Looking forward to the first outing.

Update-I have pulled it a half dozen times so far and it’s done just fine. No power, brake or control problems. Yes I do end up in 3rd on the big hill but still manage 60mph no problem.

Last edited:

tmcarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU S24
Occupation
CIO
I just learned about these new type of brake controllers minutes ago. Pretty sure I am going to go with one of the two discussed here. I like the idead of the curt but feel like it would be more prone to problems/safety issues. I don't like the idea of needing to have my phone with me to have brakes. What if I forget my phone? What if the phone doesn't connect which happens every now and then? What happens if I DO have my phone but it doesn't work because I dropped and broke it? I go through at least one phone a year because of this even with good cases. I have been buying used phones from ebay for years because of this.

I get annoyed by phones in general. I'd prefer not to add ANOTHER thing to it that I need to rely on.

I'm assuming the fob on the autow lets you lock the brakes???
I'm not trying to sell you on Curt, but once you program the device for your tow rig/trailer combo, you do not need the phone for the brakes to work. The brakes will still work if your phone disconnects or if it falls out the window and is 100miles away before you realize it, the brakes will still work. You will not however be able to see the proportional indicator while the brakes are being applied and you will not be able to manually apply the brakes by pushing the big orange button.
I can see how the fob may work, I'm sure it is a good solution as well. Myself, I keep my phone with me constantly, I rely heavily on it for work, and I have a convenient dash mount that keeps it where I can see it and access it quickly if needed.
Again, I have no stock in Curt and I am sure there are many other more than adequate products out there, this just happens to be the one I am using now. Good luck and be safe.
Sponsored