Jacob387Ryan

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Jl
Hey guys!
First post here, I hope it's alright here if it should be in another section I apologize.

Anyways heres the deal, bought my JLU new in January and have been having a blast. After a few months of owning I damaged the rocker under driver door.. I learned to live with it and put some rubi rails over for the time being until I can afford a better set.

Well last night I finally mounted my 35s and went to test them on a quick trail. Its was dark and I didn't see a fallen tree on the passenger side. The tree trunk about 6" round was just below headlight height but after hitting it rode up the A pillar, hit B pillar, and smashed out small back window. Im sick to say the least. Initial thoughts were to go through my insurance and pay deductible since its fully insured. I'm mechanically inclined, but not much experience with body work. I just can't see myself being able to live with this damage on my brand new Jeep, even though it gets wheeled on a regular basis, I still want to keep it in good shape.. But what would you guys do?
Attached are pics

Thank you guys,
Jacob

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Pillar Damage Need Advice Screenshot_20201015-163440_Gallery

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Pillar Damage Need Advice Screenshot_20201015-163428_Gallery

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Pillar Damage Need Advice Screenshot_20201015-163414_Gallery

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Pillar Damage Need Advice Screenshot_20201015-163448_Gallery
Sponsored

Last edited:

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I would get it fixed. Just my opinion.

OP
OP

Jacob387Ryan

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Jl
I would get it fixed. Just my opinion.
I'm definitely getting it fixed, sorry for the confusion.
To clear up my question.. What route would you take to fix it? And if I go through insurance will I have a problem since I wasn't on road?

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
I would go thru Insurance -why pay thousands of dollars over the years and spend your time/money now on repair.

If they salvage Jeep due to.structural damage between doors. Buy it back and fix it.
Structural components can be bought new or used and can be replaced. You will have to drill out welds to separate sections and at times cut across. Weld new parts.

In your case
Front window- probably no damage to structure behind it.
That structural damage in the side can be pulled out with frame machine and finished up with bondo/paint.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Used doors are $700 each, but yours can be fixed. Granted if you able to find one near you same color - better to get good used one vs paying for repair and paint.

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
If it is a trail with a number, it is considered a "road" for insurance purposes is my understanding, this may vary by insurance companies though. I'd claim that.

OP
OP

Jacob387Ryan

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Jl
Thanks guys I appreciate the advice. One more quick question.. I'm from MA which barely has any "legal trails with names/numbers" like other states. Wheeling around here is a very touchy subject due to limited land, dumping, trespassing etc.. So not that I'm looking to lie :angel: but how do I avoid any unnecessary headaches/issues for not being on a public road? Or any thing else you could see causing a problem?

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I'm definitely getting it fixed, sorry for the confusion.
To clear up my question.. What route would you take to fix it? And if I go through insurance will I have a problem since I wasn't on road?
Depends on the cost I think. I would take it to a body shop and have them assess the damage. If its within your budget to pay for it then I would pay out of pocket and save the insurance claim for a real accident. Otherwise, if its a hefty sum then call your insurance company and get them involved.

Doc67

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Thanks guys I appreciate the advice. One more quick question.. I'm from MA which barely has any "legal trails with names/numbers" like other states. Wheeling around here is a very touchy subject due to limited land, dumping, trespassing etc.. So not that I'm looking to lie :angel: but how do I avoid any unnecessary headaches/issues for not being on a public road? Or any thing else you could see causing a problem?
Sponsored