Sponsored

JLU oil change frequency

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
It’s been a while, but I think autozone and similar places have a used oil drop as well. I remember just going there and walking to the back and pouring out my spent oil into their giant container. I assume it’s then sold off as recyclable as rhinebeck said.
State dependent......

Businesses that sell motor oil are required by State Law to also take in, used motor oil, brought in , in a proper container.
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Incidentally, as exciting as it is to be a keyboard warrior, you can obtain actual, verifiable, concrete data by sending a sample to Blackstone Labs (and I think Wix also offers a service?).

Certainly, it is easier to just sit around and regurgitate old wives tales and urban legend so very few ever send in an occasional sample....after all ya gotta request some test kits from Blackstone (free), then collect the sample, then fill out the little paper, then mail it off. Ugh! So much work! It's easier to just keep wasting time and money by changing your oil twice as often as necessary...er, wait...it is?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Incidentally, as exciting as it is to be a keyboard warrior, you can obtain actual, verifiable, concrete data by sending a sample to Blackstone Labs (and I think Wix also offers a service?).

Certainly, it is easier to just sit around and regurgitate old wives tales and urban legend so very few ever send in an occasional sample....after all ya gotta request some test kits from Blackstone (free), then collect the sample, then fill out the little paper, then mail it off. Ugh! So much work! It's easier to just keep wasting time and money by changing your oil twice as often as necessary...er, wait...it is?
Yep, I've done one every change, mainly out of curiosity. I've gone around 7500 miles twice, which was near zero on the OLM. I won't go past the OLM, even though I think the oils would handle it, especially the Mobil 1 AP. Also, the famous Youtube Pentastar that went 625k miles got oil changes every 8k miles with an occasional run past that. Reputable brand oils these days are outstanding, especially combined with the Pentastar. No reason these things can't go well past where most of us wouldn't want the vehicle anymore.

I'm guessing my driving profile would put the OLM around 7800 to 8k miles. I may find out on this run. I've currently got about 4500 miles on Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0w20. Another jug of Mobil 1 AP is on deck, as I picked it up for 17 bucks on clearance at Wallyworld! When I change the RGT, I'll do another Blackstone report and will post it up. I'm betting it will be an excellent report.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Thank you! Will most likely make the switch to doing my own oil changes now given how easy this thread has made it sound
Just be sure to save the receipts of oil and filter purchases so you can prove to the dealer that you at least bought it if they question you about following the maintenance schedule.

I keep mine in a folder and I have a text file log on my computer that I update whenever I do some maintenance on it that has the date, mileage and brief description of what was done.

On the oil recycling, if the oil change places are making money by selling our used oil I wonder why they have a limit on how many gallons you can bring in at one time? The Valvoline oil change facility near me has a 5 gal limit.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
and ...................No friggin nitwit oil change guy/gal, at the dealer touching my JL, overfilling with oil, me sitting there of an hour, no drive to and from the dealer..
You forgot cross-threading the drain plug, over-tightening that plastic filter cap, not tightening the oil filter cap, putting the filter in upside down (REALLY did happen to a guy on the site), over-tightening the drain plug, spilling oil on your motor, and somebody else's ass in your seat!
~And then having to confirm nothing was f'd up :(

NO THANKS!

Oh, and just a note, 1/2" socket for the oil drain plug is a tight fit, the metrics have some slop. And the same w/ the filter cap, 15/16" is the best fit, although it's not much torque there so slop is no biggie :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You forgot cross-threading the drain plug, over-tightening that plastic filter cap, not tightening the oil filter cap, putting the filter in upside down (REALLY did happen to a guy on the site), over-tightening the drain plug, spilling oil on your motor, and somebody else's ass in your seat!
~And then having to confirm nothing was f'd up :(

NO THANKS!
I lost an expensive Ford 3.5 Ecoboost to an oil change shop double-gasketing the filter. Fortunately, their insurance paid for a Ford Reman engine with dealer installation. It set them back about 11 or 12 grand. I don't change the oil on that Transit van because it is just too low to the ground. I still have the same shop do the changes though. Their wallets remind them to be careful. Plus, they took responsibility immediately. The owner is a stand up guy. But yet another reason to do it myself, when I can.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
When I am approaching 20% remaining, I schedule an oil change.

dealers, even good ones, want you to come in to change your oil every Tuesday, every week, forever. Rings the register for them.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Rhinebeck and Dan, thank you for the help and advise. Guys like you make this forum great.
I get MUCH more than I give. This is an awesome forum! Thank you. And btw, I'd only be Robin to @Rhinebeck01 's Batman. He's the man!

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Regarding used oil- most auto stores will take it if they are able to- one time at my local autozone they couldn't take it because their tank was full. My father's garage has waste oil heaters- they actually have a force-fed furnace that burns old motor oil, transmission fluid, etc. just like some homes used to use heating oil for heat. So I save my old oil and take it to him.

Changing oil can be a hassle for people that don't have home driveways and garages- gotta have a place to work and a place to store the drain pan and tools, and oil jugs. But taking the car to a dealer or a shop is also a pain because you have to sit around waiting for them and endure the sales tactics of their salesmen. I was in one of those places one time waiting for state inspection and they were giving the older lady a lot of trouble about "you absolutely must change your transmission fluid every 24,000 miles and it only costs...". I decided to stay completely clear of those places whenever possible. I did find one of those places halfway across town from where I lived that would do an oil change without hassle, but I only go there for state inspections.

Back in the old days we did a lot of engine rebuilds and my dad insisted on using the brand of oil filter that the manufacturer used, just in case there was a problem. We worked on a good number of cars that probably didn't have the required oil changes- you would open up an engine and there would be so much crud caked in there that I wondered how the oil managed to get back to the pan. I think those people never changed it, they just put more in occasionally. And again back in those days an engine could only be counted on to last 80k to maybe 150k miles before it would burn oil severely. I don't know if piston ring construction has changed or oils have changed but modern engines last a lot longer. My Chevy LS2 with 140k miles will burn a quart of oil every 4000 miles. I remember long ago my dad bought an old van with that many miles and it would burn a quart of oil every 25 miles.

Sponsored

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
I bought a new Astro van in 1985 with the V6,just came out that year,yes I know,don't buy a model that just came out.
Well after 300,000 thousand miles I sold it,ran dino oil in it, had to replace the trans valve body at 120,000 at 150 bucks.
My JK went 50,000 before someone hit it and totaled it.
I am old school and change the oil,( on my 2019 jl,bough new in 2020 a left over) first oil change was 2,007 and I will do it at 5,007 miles.
I trust my dealer's oil change(knock on wood) had 4 free from Jeep and need to use them up.
Had a bad, on a Aroestar(ford) used mobile one before they realized, OH! what's an oil seals,blew the engine up with it.(ate that bitter pill)
I now stick to Pennzoil!
I did change the oil on my JK and have 11, 5 quart, pennziol 5-20 left from my JK.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Sounds like what might happen if I changed the oil myself, except for the last item. ;)

Later,
Johnny

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
https://search.earth911.com/?what=used+motor+oil

I just disposed of all of the various half used oil containers I had in my garage & found recycling locations using the above. But call ahead & confirm. I wasted a trip to one Autozone that wasn't taking oil & had to go to one about equally as far in the opposite direction.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Sounds like what might happen if I changed the oil myself, except for the last item. ;)

Later,
Johnny
Just gotta have faith Johnny :)
It truly is the easiest vehicle regarding oil changes that I've ever done and I've done plenty over my 40+ years twisting wrenches :)

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Just gotta have faith Johnny :)
It truly is the easiest vehicle regarding oil changes that I've ever done and I've done plenty over my 40+ years twisting wrenches :)
I'm sure that it is Brad. I started wrenching over 60 years ago although never any heavy stuff, just things like shocks, water pumps, brakes, etc. But, if a requirement for owning a Jeep at this stage of my life was doing my own oil changes I'd have just passed up the opportunity. It was OK with my '76 CJ-7 but now I'll just take my chances with the dealer like we do with our other two vehicles.

Later,
Johnny
Sponsored