dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Hi again Rhinebeck, you’re like a professor in here! All kidding aside I do respect your knowledge and help in this forum.
Great idea about just keeping an extra oil filter cap which brings me to my 2nd question of the day.
I went to the Amazon site to buy that filter cap and there was a notice that said “ this will not fit your 2019 Jeep Wrangler”. Should I just buy one from the dealer?
Google the part number and you'll find many sites showing the part number will fit the Wrangler along with 104 other years/models with the 3.6 V6.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Hi again Rhinebeck, you’re like a professor in here! All kidding aside I do respect your knowledge and help in this forum.
Great idea about just keeping an extra oil filter cap which brings me to my 2nd question of the day.
I went to the Amazon site to buy that filter cap and there was a notice that said “ this will not fit your 2019 Jeep Wrangler”. Should I just buy one from the dealer?
@sf5211

Yes, that Mopar Genuine 68191350AA Engine Oil Filter Housing Cap is the correct cap for any 2018, 2019, 2020, Wrangler JL with the 3.6 motor.

It is also, the correct cap for the 2020, JT with 3.6.

It is also the correct cap for any 2011-2018 JK with the 3.6.

Amazon is reporting incorrectly in regard to the cap.

Buy wherever you can get the best price... eBAY, Amazon, etc.. At dealer parts dept. you will pay way more then buying on Amazon, etc..

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve gotta disagree with ya D60, when it comes to my Jeep I don’t want the old saying “you get what you pay for” to bite me. I think the OEM filter is 12-15 bucks.
Worth it to me.
I’m not trying to knock you for saving a few bucks. Just not with my engine life.
Wix are reputable filters. I don't think their efficiency is anything to write home about, but they will provide good enough protection for your engine not to worry about it lasting.

Want to go cheap with great efficiency? Get a Fram Extraguard. About $6.50 everyday at Wallyworld and cheaper than that in bulk at Rockauto. 99% at 30 microns. That's as good as the best from any other company but Fram. Cheap, excellent construction, and excellent filtration.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Rhinebeck, I have a question. I do my oil change every 5k with fully synthetic but I have the dealer do every other one to show my Jeep is going in for service. Do you worry if something happened to your engine they’d say “hey you never brought it in for service so we can’t honor your warranty”?
@sf5211

There is absolutely no reason to do as you are doing.

There is no reason why a Jeep owner cannot do his or her own oil changes. FCA does not say you cannot do your own oil changes. At that dealership does not say you can't do your own oil changes.

Sure, some nitwit Service Writer, at say a NY dealership Service Dept. might imply that but .....

Do read here... this thread will give you more in regard to your question.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...k-of-maintenance-and-add-ons.4686/#post-94094

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve gotta disagree with ya D60, when it comes to my Jeep I don’t want the old saying “you get what you pay for” to bite me. I think the OEM filter is 12-15 bucks.
Worth it to me.
I’m not trying to knock you for saving a few bucks. Just not with my engine life.
@sf5211

There are plenty of non OEM oil filters out there, that are aok to use. Wix/Napa Gold, Mobil 1,
Purolator, K&N and others. There is absolutely no reason to by a Mopar (OEM) oil filter unless the price is better then the others.

No way in hell, would I pay any more then say $10.00 for a JL 3.6 oil filter. IF you watch for sales, rebates and such you can get a quality oil filter for a JL for as little as $4.00. Just last year, I bought 10 Mobil 1 oil filters for my JL and they cost me just under $4.00 each with tax.

As for oil, oil filters, engine life, etc.. Get into a conversation with mechanics young and old and most will say in the conversation some day... "When was the last time you heard of / had / dealt with an oil related, oil filter related engine failure" ...

Truth be had, such a failure is very very rare now a days...

Sponsored

Visible15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Dumb question; for those of you doing your own oil changes, what are you doing with the old oil to dispose of it?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dumb question; for those of you doing your own oil changes, what are you doing with the old oil to dispose of it?
@Visible15

There is no such thing, as a "dumb question"

I pour the drained oil and pour it back into the container that the new oil I just used came in.
Drop it off at a local, small garage.

Regardless of where you reside, you will find many small garages, full service gas stations, etc. that will gladly take you drained oil. They pour it in their used oil tank and they sell it to a company that buys/recycles used oil. They make $ off your used oil!

Also, many municipalities, have a place where you can drop off used oil. In some states, (i.e., in some Calif. locales), they even will take the used oil if left in a proper container in front of your weekly recycle container on recycle pickup day.

Just check around, ask around your local area.. lots of guys/gals find it very easy to get rid of the used oil.

Visible15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
@Visible15

There is no such thing, as a "dumb question"

I pour the drained oil and pour it back into the container that the new oil I just used came in.
Drop it off at a local, small garage.

Regardless of where you reside, you will find many small garages, full service gas stations, etc. that will gladly take you drained oil. They pour it in their used oil tank and they sell it to a company that buys/recycles used oil. They make $ off your used oil!

Also, many municipalities, have a place where you can drop off used oil. In some states, (i.e., in some Calif. locales), they even will take the used oil if left in a proper container in front of your weekly recycle container on recycle pickup day.

Just check around, ask around your local area.. lots of guys/gals find it very easy to get rid of the used oil.
Thank you! Will most likely make the switch to doing my own oil changes now given how easy this thread has made it sound

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I change mine at 5K (and do a 5 tire rotation at the same time). I chose the FRAM Ultra oil filter for its synthetic mesh backed media and 20 micron @ 99.9% efficiency rating.

I am currently running Kendall GT-1 Max 0W-20, but will always use a synthetic.

Sponsored

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
It’s been a while, but I think autozone and similar places have a used oil drop as well. I remember just going there and walking to the back and pouring out my spent oil into their giant container. I assume it’s then sold off as recyclable as rhinebeck said.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I take it to Autozone a short distance from my house. They sometimes even pour it into the tank for me, but mostly let me go back and empty it myself. Most autoparts stores will let you dispose of used oil. My local Walmart will let me drop off full jugs of used oil, too, but I have a drain container now, so I just go and pour it out at Autozone.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To make changing oil even easier and not having to purchase drain plugs I installed Fumoto drain valve. No wrench or socket needed to drain the oil. You can connect a drain tube to it so that there is no chance of spilled oil.
I agree 100% with installing an oil drain valve. There are some caveats but yes, an oil drain valve really is a pleasure to have.

For those interested in a Fumoto, read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...m14-1-5-drain-valve-for-the-wrangler-jl.4441/

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! Will most likely make the switch to doing my own oil changes now given how easy this thread has made it sound
These Jeeps with the 3.6 are, bar none, the easiest vehicles on which to change oil that I've ever known. Plenty of room underneath, pours out in a clean stream, cartridge oil filter, and 1 single 5 quart jug. Done.
Sponsored