JLU oil change frequency

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
Talking to Kevin on Bitog, who was on the Pentastar design team, it uses many data points. He said it is a very complex algorythm and you can trust it 100%. That said, with that complex algorythm and all, it lands about squarely on 7500 miles for me, give or take a couple of hundred. But my driving profile over the course of an oil change interval may be very consistent. IĀ“ll go back and review my conversations with him and see what he said specifically. I remember hours, total engine revolutions, time, as in calendar, and start-up cycles were all part of it. But I think there was more than that. IĀ“ll note that I rarely do short trips. My commute is 17 miles and 35 minutes, so the engine gets fully up to temp and burns off any moisture or fuel in the oil, every time. IĀ“m sure a short trip profile where the engine rarely gets up to full temp would trigger a shorter run on the oil life monitor. A mostly highway profile would probably trigger a longer one.

IĀ“d love to know who here has seen the most miles at or near zero percent on the OLM and who has the least. Anyone care to chime in? I might, in fact, make a thread just for that. Could be fun and interesting.
Great insight, thanks.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
About to do my JLā€™s first oil change - where are you getting your filters and which one exactly?
@Amaruq

2018-2020 Wrangler 3.6L Pentastar engine

Chrysler/Jeep Oil filter part number is 68191349AA - (MO-349) / / 68191349AB - (MD-349) // 68191349AC (new number) but still MO-349

Non-OEM filters:

Mobil 1: M1C-456A

Purolator: L36296

K&N: PS-7026

Jeep recommends you use SAE 0W-20 Engine Oil, such as MOPAR, Pennzoil, and
Shell Helix. - 5 quarts oil

24 mm socket for oil filter housing cap (18 ft/lb torque)

13 mm socket for oil drain plug (20 ft/lb torque)

Oil Life Reset:
1. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button and place the ignition to
the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).
2. Navigate to Oil Life submenu in Vehicle Info in the
instrument cluster display.
3. Push and hold the OK button until the gauge resets to
100%.

Secondary Method For Oil Change Reset Procedure
2. Fully press the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times
within ten seconds.
3. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button once to return the ignition
to the OFF/LOCK position.
NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you
start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not
reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
@Amaruq

2018 Wrangler 3.6L Pentastar engine

Chrysler/Jeep Oil filter part number is 68191349AA - (MO-349) / / 68191349AB - (MD-349) // 68191349AC (new number) but still MO-349

Non-OEM filters:

Mobil 1: M1C-456A

Purolator: L36296

K&N: PS-7026

Jeep recommends you use SAE 0W-20 Engine Oil, such as MOPAR, Pennzoil, and
Shell Helix. - 5 quarts oil

24 mm socket for oil filter housing cap (18 ft/lb torque)

13 mm socket for oil drain plug (20 ft/lb torque)

Oil Life Reset:
2. Navigate to Oil Life submenu in Vehicle Info in the
instrument cluster display.
3. Push and hold the OK button until the gauge resets to
100%.

Secondary Method For Oil Change Reset Procedure
2. Fully press the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times
within ten seconds.
3. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button once to return the ignition
to the OFF/LOCK position.
NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you
start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not
reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure.
Youā€™re a gentleman and a scholar.
so everyone likes the mopar filter over others?
0w-20 even in the southern summer or 5w-20 (full synthetic)?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
No one touches Baby, especially a dealer nitwit. I only go to a dealer for the genuine Mopar filter specced for the 2.0 motor. I usually hit wally world for a 5 qt jug of Mobil 5/30 full synthetic, which has the additive pack and certifications that are recommended. I do it every 5k along with a 5 tire rotation. Only attention given to the oil life monitor is a reset.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I buy any of the filters mentioned. Either OEM or aftermarket. Seek the best price and buy whatever you can get cheaper. Do buy full synthetic motor oil, as mentioned in my last post here..

I have JK's in the family and the JL. SO, I use 5w-20 Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic in all of them year round. I have residences in Calif., NY and Florida so vehicles see snow, heat and lots and lots of driving. JK's use the same filter as the JL.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I usually just run Wix, but I'll run any brand. If you're doing 5k I would not buy high end filters, just wasting $

Call your local NAPA, Parts Plus, Parts City or CarQuest and ask if they do the bi-annual Wix filter sales (usually spring and fall). You can get the Wix for a few bucks, just buy several.

edit: 4/19 I paid $3.70 ea for the Wix 10010's during the filter sales

Last edited:

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
No one touches Baby, especially a dealer nitwit. I only go to a dealer for the genuine Mopar filter specced for the 2.0 motor. I usually hit wally world for a 5 qt jug of Mobil 5/30 full synthetic, which has the additive pack and certifications that are recommended. I do it every 5k along with a 5 tire rotation. Only attention given to the oil life monitor is a reset.
So I've been a loyal Mobil 1 user in all my vehicles for over 25 years. Unfortunately, Mobil 1 synthetic does not meet the MS13340 spec called for in the 2.0, with Mobil 1 noting that on their website. As a result, I've been using the Pennzoil full platinum, which is the only 5w/30 I can find that does. Also using the M1-113A filter and doing my changes once a year, which for our non-DD Rubicon, is about 2,500 miles. Like you, no dealer hack gets his/her mitts on my vehicles for this stuff!

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU oil change frequency Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 7.55.58 AM

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Amaruq

Not mandatory, but a 3.6 owner that is doing his/her own oil changes, probably should have one of these on the garage shelf all the time.

The cap is known to crack so, it is cheap cheap insurance ($15.00) to have one on hand.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TO1NX8W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU oil change frequency 5187jWUHK9L._AC_SL1234_

--A month or so ago, I even had a local tech call and ask me if he could have my new spare cap as he could not get one right away and he had cracked a cap on a clients Jeep. The tech knew I kept a spare as we talk/brain storm pretty often. He borrowed and replaced it with a new one a week later.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
About to do my JLā€™s first oil change - where are you getting your filters and which one exactly?
I picked up 12 or 13 Mobil 1 filters at about 3 or 4 bucks each on clearance at Wallyworld, but I think you can get a basic Fram, wihich is a good filter, for probably 4 or 6 bucks, a Fram Tough Guard for I think 8 or so, which is an excellent filter, or a Fram Ultra for $11 i think. You can get a Mopar at Wallyworld for around $8, and you certainly canĀ“t go wrong with that one. Every now and then Napa puts Wix filters on sale, too. Or you can do Rock Auto and buy a bunch of whatever you want for a cheap bulk price.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So I've been a loyal Mobil 1 user in all my vehicles for over 25 years. Unfortunately, Mobil 1 synthetic does not meet the MS13340 spec called for in the 2.0, with Mobil 1 noting that on their webiste. As a result, I've been using the Penzoil full platinum, which is the only 5w/30 I can find that does. Also using the M1-1113A filter and doing my changes once a year, which for our non-DD Rubicon, is about 2,500 miles. Like you, no dealer hack gets his/her mitts on my vehicles for this stuff!

You wonĀ“t have a problem using Mobil 1. It meets SAE specs. My dealership actually sells Mobil 1 for their premium changes. IĀ“ve never heard of FCA denying a warranty claim because someone used Mobil 1. That would be impossible to defend. On the other hand, Pennzoil Platinum is outstanding, so you donĀ“t lose there, either.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Amaruq

Not mandatory, but a 3.6 owner that is doing his/her own oil changes, probably should have one of these on the garage shelf all the time.

The cap is known to crack so, it is cheap cheap insurance ($15.00) to have one on hand.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TO1NX8W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

--A month or so ago, I even had a local tech call and ask me if he could have my new spare cap as he could not get one right away and he had cracked a cap on a clients Jeep. The tech knew I kept a spare as we talk/brain storm pretty often. He borrowed and replaced it with a new one a week later.
Yep, I warped the hex on the end on my original and bought another. I kept the original as the spare, as it still is serviceable. Good advice!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, I warped the hex on the end on my original and bought another. I kept the original as the spare, as it still is serviceable. Good advice!
@DanW

Did you read the forum post a little ways back where a guy said he dropped the cap and the inners/spring ????? fell out and he pushed it back together and continued to use....

I did not know or even know now, if the cap has internal parts ?????

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
So I've been a loyal Mobil 1 user in all my vehicles for over 25 years. Unfortunately, Mobil 1 synthetic does not meet the MS13340 spec called for in the 2.0, with Mobil 1 noting that on their webiste. As a result, I've been using the Penzoil full platinum, which is the only 5w/30 I can find that does. Also using the M1-1113A filter and doing my changes once a year, which for our non-DD Rubicon, is about 2,500 miles. Like you, no dealer hack gets his/her mitts on my vehicles for this stuff!

Well I'll be damned! I guess I need to put the maintenance sub forum into rotation, because I thought API SN PLUS was the go/no go factor. Baby only drinks the best, so she doesn't complain about what happens on the trail.

Mobil's tier one 93 octane will remain my fuel of choice, but looks like they lost an oil customer. Thank you very kindly for the heads up, Dave!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@DanW

Did you read the forum post a little ways back where a guy said he dropped the cap and the inners/spring ????? fell out and he pushed it back together and continued to use....

I did not know or even know now, if the cap has internal parts ?????
Wow, I thought the snap inside was just like a plastic ridge or something. IĀ“ll have to take a look. DidnĀ“t realize there might be multiple parts in there.

If there is a spring exerting pressure on the filter, maybe thatĀ“s why some twist and some donĀ“t. Maybe some variance in the spring rates?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, I thought the snap inside was just like a plastic ridge or something. IĀ“ll have to take a look. DidnĀ“t realize there might be multiple parts in there.

If there is a spring exerting pressure on the filter, maybe thatĀ“s why some twist and some donĀ“t. Maybe some variance in the spring rates?
@DanW

I was going to look this morning but forgot to. Don't have time to look at the one on the shelf right now but I will be..

On edit: I just looked at the one on the shelf.. and I can't really tell.. and I'm not gonna break it open... 8-)

If a spring there, yes, what you said, could be the reason for twist or no twist.
Sponsored

Last edited: