Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
How often should the oil be changed on a 2018 JLU 3.6l? The dealer suggests changing the oil every 3,000 miles....which pretty frequent.
For what it's worth...
Been doing the following for 60k miles on 2018 JL...

Go to Wally World and for $24 you can get a jug of Pennzoil Full Synthetic 0w-20 for winter and 5w-20 for summer now that I am at 60k miles.
They also carry the Mopar filter for $9, so for $35 you can do your own change in about 15 mins.
I do it every 4k miles and rotate the tires at the same time.
Hands down the easiest vehicle I have ever done an oil change on. It's not rocket science :)
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
For what it's worth...
Been doing the following for 60k miles on 2018 JL...

Go to Wally World and for $24 you can get a jug of Pennzoil Full Synthetic 0w-20 for winter and 5w-20 for summer now that I am at 60k miles.
They also carry the Mopar filter for $9, so for $35 you can do your own change in about 15 mins.
I do it every 4k miles and rotate the tires at the same time.
Hands down the easiest vehicle I have ever done an oil change on. It's not rocket science :)
Why 5w20 in summer? The kinematic viscosity should be about the same for 5w vs. 0w at 212 degrees. The engine won't know the difference, except at start-up. I don't think it is a problem, just curious.

Some day when you sell that thing, someone will get a cherry engine, for sure!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Why 5w20 in summer? The kinematic viscosity should be about the same for 5w vs. 0w at 212 degrees. The engine won't know the difference, except at start-up. I don't think it is a problem, just curious.

Some day when you sell that thing, someone will get a cherry engine, for sure!
I guess that's kind of the old schooler in me... slightly heavier for summer but you are right, I'm making the wrong number heavy... lol. I did talk to the head of the service dept when I bought the Jeep and he said 5w-20 was totally fine to run all the time, the 0w-20 is for mileage.
There was also another thread on here about the 3.6l engine that went 600k miles and a guy who actually worked on designing that engine chimed in (or something like that).
He said the engines do like the heavier oil and these engines also like to have their pipes cleaned, meaning mash the pedal and let the engine run it's full RPM spectrum. IMO every engine should have that done on a regular basis... granny putting around "but I get great mileage" is the worst thing for an engine.

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
How often should the oil be changed on a 2018 JLU 3.6l? The dealer suggests changing the oil every 3,000 miles....which pretty frequent.
My CT dealer does it every 7500 and won't change it more frequently. They said it can go even longer but 7500 is the factory standard. NOT 3000. They want your money. Besides getting an appointment with my dealer for an oil change during COVID is a month out.

Sponsored

photowiz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
newspaper and outdoor photographer
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2018 JLUS with 40,000 miles. It gets full synthetic when the Jeep tells me to change it. Usually 7-7500K miles. Sounds about right with a quality filter and quality full synthetic oil. Ran a 2000 Ford 4.0 V6 in a Sportrac to 301,000 miles with oil changes at a 7500k miles interval. Sold the truck to get the Wrangler and the guy still has it and runs it everyday.

photowiz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
About to do my JL’s first oil change - where are you getting your filters and which one exactly?
I use Fram Extra Guard synthetic, about $10 at WalMart. I have always liked Fram filters.

photowiz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Cost me very little to do the oil change this morning > $3.98 for the on sale last year, Mobil 1 M1C-456A Extended Performance Cartridge Oil Filter and then a 5 qt. container of Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic Oil at a cost of $12.00 after rebate. 15 min. labor.

Total cost of oil & filter change = $ 15.98. (not a typo.. cost was $15.98)

and ...................No friggin nitwit oil change guy/gal, at the dealer touching my JL, overfilling with oil, me sitting there of an hour, no drive to and from the dealer..

Guy/gals can also get the oil and filter at very low prices and do their own oil changes. As you said @cb4017, " It's easy to change and not that expensive." It amazes me that a Jeep owner can't take it upon themselves to do an oil change at home versus having a dealer do it.
I do all of my oil changes. That's a great price. DOing yourself gets you under the hood for a thorough look/see.

mikebost

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
x5, x6, JLR
Do we know what type of oil used on a zero mile engine at the factory for the newly delivered JL 3.6 engine? ( Full synthetic or not ?)

Thanks.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't care how often you change your oil, Wrangler owner... I do care that you haven't painted that shiny, eyesore, stock muffler on your Wrangler...... and when I'm behind you I have to stare at that fugly thing.. :LOL: Paint it!
Paint it!?!? How about remove it or replace it with a cute little tiny one? Those awful stock mufflers make the Wrangler look like it pooped it's pants :)

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Paint it!?!? How about remove it or replace it with a cute little tiny one? Those awful stock mufflers make the Wrangler look like it pooped it's pants :)
My stock / painted....................muffler. looks very pretty..... :LOL:
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU oil change frequency rigid-lites

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Do we know what type of oil used on a zero mile engine at the factory for the newly delivered JL 3.6 engine? ( Full synthetic or not ?)

Thanks.
It is almost certainly a Pennzoil product, and the worst it could be is Pennzoil Gold, which is advertises as a synethtic blend 0w20. I did a UOA on the factory oil and it looked a lot to me like either Pennzoil Gold or Platinum. It was also within 0w20 specs, as well. In spite of being loaded down with break-in material, it was in very good shape at 2k miles and could have easily gone the distance.

If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on it being Pennzoil Gold.

Btw, that's the only oil in 0w20 I've seen that isn't sold as a full synthetic. And the truth is, a blend may have as much synthetic base stock in it as Platinum does. It may be just marketing separating them, but the Gold does have a higher flash point than Platinum, which is strange, to me.

Anyway, whatever brand it was, it 100% was 0w20.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
May be a dumb question, Do diesel engines require more frequent oil changes? I honestly ask out of ignorance. Personally I am a Full Synthetic every 4000. I dont get to drive the Jeep much and I love clean oil.. I know its a way big overkill, but I cant stop....

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It is almost certainly a Pennzoil product, and the worst it could be is Pennzoil Gold, which is advertises as a synethtic blend 0w20. I did a UOA on the factory oil and it looked a lot to me like either Pennzoil Gold or Platinum. It was also within 0w20 specs, as well. In spite of being loaded down with break-in material, it was in very good shape at 2k miles and could have easily gone the distance.

If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on it being Pennzoil Gold.

Btw, that's the only oil in 0w20 I've seen that isn't sold as a full synthetic. And the truth is, a blend may have as much synthetic base stock in it as Platinum does. It may be just marketing separating them, but the Gold does have a higher flash point than Platinum, which is strange, to me.

Anyway, whatever brand it was, it 100% was 0w20.
As far as I can tell based on part number interchangeability, it is Pennzoil Platinum.
Sponsored