JLU (non-Rubicon) 4H Juddering while turning at slow Speed

rhocking

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 2.0T JLU Sport S
Got a 2020 JLU in the summer and with some snow expected soon wanted to test 4H. Read some threads that it can be difficult to go into 4H sometimes so I went out to a parking lot put the transfer case into 4H. I had no problems getting into 4H but when I did some turns at slow speed around the parking lot in 4H I got a significant judder. Felt like loss of power and then power came back on. This was on dry pavement. I know manual says not to use 4H except in slippery conditions but is this juddering at slow speed normal for 4H?

First jeep. Sorry if this is a newb question.
Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Do not use 4 wheel drive on dry pavement. I would guess what you experienced is to be expected on dry pavement.

Most of the issues I have read were getting into 4 low. 4 High is a breeze. Typically 4 low becomes a breeze as well after using it for while.

doorstuck

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon 2-door
Yeah, this is bad for your drivetrain. When you're in 4WD, the front and rear driveshafts are locked (so they spin at the same rate). When you take a turn, however, your front wheels travel a larger arc than your rear wheels (and therefore they turn more). If your wheels can't slip, then you are putting strain on your driveshafts since front and rear want to turn at different rates but they're locked together.

The "juddering" you experienced is your wheels hopping to alleviate the torsion that you've wound up in the driveshafts. Nonetheless, it's not good to do this regularly

HoboJeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Gray
Yes, that's normal on dry pavement (and don't drive like that a lot). Get out on some loose dirt, sand or gravel and try it again. You will see a big difference.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
☠ Don't do that. I even switch back to 2WD on a trail if turning hard is needed and i don't need 4WD just to turn. Avoiding binding however slight, as much as possible.....will prolong the life of your front axle and driveshaft u joints.

I never use 4H on the highway either unless the tar is 100% covered in packed snow/ice or unplowed and I'm slipping. Slowing down is free, parts........not so much.

Sponsored

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Got a 2020 JLU in the summer and with some snow expected soon wanted to test 4H. Read some threads that it can be difficult to go into 4H sometimes so I went out to a parking lot put the transfer case into 4H. I had no problems getting into 4H but when I did some turns at slow speed around the parking lot in 4H I got a significant judder. Felt like loss of power and then power came back on. This was on dry pavement. I know manual says not to use 4H except in slippery conditions but is this juddering at slow speed normal for 4H?

Do not make tight turns in 4H esp on Dry Pavement. You will wear out the joints.

It is difficult to put the Jeep in 4H and esp 4L the first couple of times. After about 3k miles and some practice it gets a lot easier. I speak by first hand experience.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic

Now, read what you wrote again and see if you didn't answer your own question......

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
That "shutter" is to remind you to shift out of 4H when you hit the pavement.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Judder, I suspect, is an amalgamation of “jerking” and “shudder.” In a farming context, “judder” is when you jerk enthusiastically on a cow‘s udders.
Sponsored