Sponsored

JLU LED Group Headlights - Can they be turned off??

nerp

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interface.ninja
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Software Architect / Security Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Every time I open my rear gate or a door at night, the headlights come on. This is quite annoying when camping. Is there anyway to make this stop short of pulling the fuze for the headlights? I'm honestly thinking about making a snip in the headlight power wire and hooking it to an aux switch so that it can be disabled.

I called Jeep using my "assist" button and they suggested I roll my dome light down and/or turn off my headlights with the rotary switch. Neither of these things work. With the rotary switch for the lights at "O" and/or the dome and/or instrument lights completely rolled down, the headlights still come on when I open the liftgate or any door.

Any thoughts??
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Have you checked the menus on the dash display to see if you can shut it off? Typically, you can change things like light delay, auto door locks, etc. inside the menus. You need to have the key switch in the on position, with the engine off to access these menus. You can't do it while driving.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I open my doors all the time w/o lights, but it’s unlocked. Have you tried unlocking with the actual key part of the fob to see if that leaves them off?

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Hmmm...this is strange and the first I've heard of something like this. Other than the interior dome lights coming on, none of the other exterior lights come on...and I also have the LED package on my JLUR.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmmm...this is strange and the first I've heard of something like this. Other than the interior dome lights coming on, none of the other exterior lights come on...and I also have the LED package on my JLUR.
Mine has leds. Headlights come on every time I unlock with the fob. They go out when I start Jeep.

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine has leds. Headlights come on every time I unlock with the fob. They go out when I start Jeep.
They go off after a little while if I don’t start it. Also no taillights at unlocking, only headlights.

MNSeapilot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I think I recall that as one of the settings in the menus, you just need to find the right spot.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Turn off the setting in lighting for approach illumination. I believe that is by default 30 seconds and is why they come on when you grab the door or unlock with the FOB.

Texcal

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
I think you can adjust the settings on the infotainment system. I forget exactly how to do it but you should be able to find it easily while going through the menu settings. Full disclosure, I didn't adjust my settings when I saw it on the menu so I don't know for sure if you can turn it off.

Respo

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I wonder if you can have the halls just come on when you unlock. I agree the lights are blinding when u unlock. Anyone know?

Sponsored

opsfox21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2023 WL Overland
I wonder if you can have the halls just come on when you unlock. I agree the lights are blinding when u unlock. Anyone know?
Unfortunately not, my preference would be to have just the parking lamps come on when the doors were unlocked. It would be nice if we could choose from the three options though. Jeep, if you're out there, please give us the option in a future software update!

Sort of on the topic... Why in the world do the dash lights need to go on full brightness every time you cycle the ignition or get in? I usually have mine set as low as possible for night driving and then BAM they go and burn your eyes out. They should just stay off or base their behavior on the daylight sensor input.

KevinC11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys, 2023 JT Mojave
Occupation
Gunsmith/EMT
It’s under settings, lights; then change “headlight illumination on approach” to 0 sec.
I think after 4 years, they have figured it out by now.

KevinC

geolchris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys, 2023 JLUR on order
I think after 4 years, they have figured it out by now.

KevinC
Haha shoot I did not even realize that. Wow. It showed up in the “similar threads you might like”. I guess I assumed those had some kind of time limit…

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

mine only come on when i use the fob to unlock. i typically keep my jeep unlocked when camping for this reason.
Sponsored