Sponsored

JLU Interesting finds.. D30 axle preview..

Goobermaniac

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 trailblazer and ready for a JL
Interesting finds on the new JL:

Dirt Every Day (FB page) purchased a JLu sport and are tearing it down (more than likely to build a monster)

Nice video of the front axle D30 in the Sport (C gussets look larger)

Some finds are worrying me a bit.. Or I’ll get a sport and rip out the front axles.
Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Some finds are worrying me a bit.. Or I’ll get a sport and rip out the front axles.
What findings worry you about the front axles? The third video clip showing the front axle knuckle area would not play audio for me, so I'm not sure if there was a mention of some issue?

I sure would like to find an in-depth tech article on the axles - anyone found that yet? The D44/D35/D30 names are not all that useful at least in terms of past axle attributes. Here are the new axle names:

M186 - Standard Sahara/Sport front axle
M200 - Standard Sahara/Sport rear axle
M210 - Rubicon front axle
M220 - Rubicon rear axle (optional on Sahara/Sport)

Hoping some hardcore 4x4 type site does an in-depth tech breakdown of the axles. I would very much like to know how the new Sport M186 axle compares to the JK Sport front axle.

OP
OP

Goobermaniac

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What findings worry you about the front axles? The third video clip showing the front axle knuckle area would not play audio for me, so I'm not sure if there was a mention of some issue?

I sure would like to find an in-depth tech article on the axles - anyone found that yet? The D44/D35/D30 names are not all that useful at least in terms of past axle attributes. Here are the new axle names:

M186 - Standard Sahara/Sport front axle
M200 - Standard Sahara/Sport rear axle
M210 - Rubicon front axle
M220 - Rubicon rear axle (optional on Sahara/Sport)

Hoping some hardcore 4x4 type site does an in-depth tech breakdown of the axles. I would very much like to know how the new Sport M186 axle compares to the JK Sport front axle.

I would love some hardcore specs.. However, from what I’ve read and researched the Dana 30’s have a pretty bad reputation.

What’s worrying me is all the safety and bulky electronics on the JL.. I guess time will tell and I might wait till next years model to see if any of the bugs are worked out..

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I would love some hardcore specs.. However, from what I’ve read and researched the Dana 30’s have a pretty bad reputation.

What’s worrying me is all the safety and bulky electronics on the JL.. I guess time will tell and I might wait till next years model to see if any of the bugs are worked out..
I specifically avoided the safety group for this very reason.

As for the D30, I had the much older generation in my TJ, and currently have the JK variant in my 2012 2 door Sport. I have personally never had a problem, I have always been under the impression that I would NOT get a 4 door with a D30, i.e. in a 4 door I would go Rubicon, or upgrade a Sport/Sport S/Sahara to a 44 or better front.

All that being said though the new generation D30 is suppose to be sturdier, time will tell. I am sure that just like with the JK community people will try to beat up some heavy 37s on the D30 then complain about how weak it is.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I thought the D30 was pretty good, and that it was the Dana 35 which was a bit troublesome, but no personal experience with either.

Sponsored

whatroads

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500 QC 4x4, 2012 Wangler
It's a "high pinion" D30. The pinion drives off the coast side of the ring gear. This makes it much stronger than a low pinion D30. Bravo for the larger gusseted C's. I too look forward to a detailed breakdown of all the front and back axle options

What is labeled as a D35 has nothing to do with the D35 I originally had in my old YJ. The M200 works out to be an 8 inch ring gear. The D35 was a 7.5 with a C-clip retainer and weak axle tubes

HumbleJLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 TJ Rubicon; 18 Audi S5 SB
Isn't that the Rubicon front axle in the video? It appears to have the electric axle disconnect module.

Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Talking about the axels in the Sport JL (Keep in mind this is a review from Dynatrac).
Now that is my kind of info - thanks for sharing. Not that I have no interest in touch screen sizes and bezel widths ... well actually, I don't, lol. Hope they will crack open the axles and provide additional details. Would like to have similar assessment of the new manual transmission as well.

Good to hear there are some improvements on the new Sport front axle compared to the prior JK version. Such as the larger diameter tubing (assuming thickness is not compromised) and what appear to be beefier axle ears. I am hoping a Sport model with up-rated rear axle option, and what appears to be a stronger standard front axle, will be a good setup.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Great video, can't wait to see their take on the Rubicon axles. I am no longer worried about them being weaker than the JK axles.

OP
OP

Goobermaniac

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Review from Extreme Terrian..

14:46 they start talking about the differences underneath the JK and JL.

Per this guy the JL sport and Saharah have a Dana 30 and 35.

OP
OP

Goobermaniac

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Proof I guess is in the pudding...

I see the Dana 44 comment when you look at the details of the Anit-Spin diff..

56E212D8-E2E3-4B76-ADB6-86495174419E.jpeg
Sponsored