Sponsored

JLU Fox Steering Stabilizer Issue?

mdmtnbkr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2003 TJ Rubicon, 2000 TJ Sahara
I am interested to find out if anyone else has installed the new Fox Steering Stabilizer on a Jeep JLU, part number 985-24-173? We installed one on our JLU Rubicon that has the Mopar 2” lift (which was actually 3 3/4”, but that is a whole other conversation) and had to remove it due to an alignment issue. The issue we experienced with the Fox steering stabilizer is that it is ~3-5” longer than the stock Jeep JLU Rubicon steering stabilizer, this caused the wheel to turn to the right from the 12:00 position to the 3:00 position rather quickly when hands are removed from the wheel while driving and it causes the Jeep to pull to the right. We took it to our local Jeep dealership and paid for an alignment after installation of the Fox steering stabilizer; however, they said that there is no way to make it work with the steering stabilizer installed.

As soon as the Fox steering stabilizer was removed and the stock JLU Rubicon steering stabilizer was reinstalled, the Jeep went back to normal and no longer pulls to the right. I have included a picture of the length difference between the Fox steering stabilizer and the stock Jeep JLU Rubicon steering stabilizer. Both stabilizers are fully extended in the photo; the stock stabilizer had been removed for a couple days, so it was definitely not compressed.

After sending the picture of the length difference, Fox asked me to send them pictures of the model numbers on the shock to verify that I had ordered the correct part number. Their response was concerning to me, because they seemed to dismiss the issue I experienced by saying that the OE shock in my photo was not extended. The response that I received from Fox was:

“The serial numbers on the dust cap confirm that you have received the correct shock. Upon further investigation, it appears that the oe steering stabilizer in the picture is not fully extended. We have referenced the oe stabilizer dimensions and our damper meets those dimensions. Additionally, since these were just recently released, we have only had one production run. This allowed us to check the pressure on a few stabilizers in house from the same production run and we have verified that the pressures were set appropriately.

The reason for my post is to find out if anyone else has experienced this issue and to make others aware if they are planning to upgrade their stock steering stabilizer with the new Fox version.

Fox JL and Stock Steering Stabilizer Comparison.jpeg

Jeep JLU Rubicon Picture - AUG-2018.jpg
Sponsored

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Holy hell. That’s a high lift. I hope they figure out a way to make it actually 2”.

OP
OP
mdmtnbkr

mdmtnbkr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm installing one as we speak. Did you install the body of the shock closest to the wheel or to the center of the vehicle?
I installed it with the body of the shock on the wheel side of vehicle. Same as the way it is installed on this video. Please let me know if you have the same issue. Are you installing it on a JLU Rubicon? I am guessing so based on your forum username...

Sponsored

OP
OP
mdmtnbkr

mdmtnbkr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great, maybe I got one that is out of spec. Did you notice a big difference in the length of the Fox vs the OE stabilizer similar to my picture?

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Your stock stabilizer doesn't have gas pressure behind it like the fox unit does(I'm assuming the Fox stabilizer for the JL has gas pressure like the JK?) This may sound dumb, and I'm sorry if you have already tried it but have you tried extending the factory stabilizer by hand?
My Stock stabilizer is approx 21" long when fully turned to the right.
I know on the JK it was fairly common that when installing a gas pressured steering stabilizer it would cause a pull to the left(On the JK it was mounted/oriented the opposite direction)

stock stabilizer.jpg

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
I have it on my JLU Rubicon. It's not gas charged like previous ones for the JK and doesnt pull/push any direction.

Sponsored

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
So I do have a minor pull to the right, but to be fair I haven't gotten an alignment and it could just be the beefy wheels and the curve of the road. The required steering input while at high speeds is noticably improved tho. That's not even the reason I got it .

OP
OP
mdmtnbkr

mdmtnbkr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all of the feedback, I definitely appreciate it. It could just be the steering stabilizer that I received. I am currently working with Fox to get it returned to them for follow up testing. For me it was a noticeable pull to the right. If I removed pressure off of the steering wheel it would pull to the right into the other lane or onto the shoulder in about 2-3 Jeep lengths. I would have just chalked it up to something else on my set up, if it was not for the fact that everything immediately returned to normal following the reinstallation of the OE stabilizer.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all of the feedback, I definitely appreciate it. It could just be the steering stabilizer that I received. I am currently working with Fox to get it returned to them for follow up testing. For me it was a noticeable pull to the right. If I removed pressure off of the steering wheel it would pull to the right into the other lane or onto the shoulder in about 2-3 Jeep lengths. I would have just chalked it up to something else on my set up, if it was not for the fact that everything immediately returned to normal following the reinstallation of the OE stabilizer.
I'm curious if you compress the Fox stabilizer does it decompress on it's own? I know it was mentioned above that the JL variant is not gas pressured, but it sure sounds like that's what's happening.

OP
OP
mdmtnbkr

mdmtnbkr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, the Fox steering stabilizer definitely decompresses on it's own. It is noticeably slower than the Fox suspension shocks, but it does decompress.
Sponsored