Sponsored

JLU Diesel - def shelf life? Throttle lag?

NickMer

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Diesel
I bought my first Jeep and went with the Diesel. With that was wondering if anyone could help. First off. It's awesome. Glad I went with the Diesel. Makes the experience that much better. The dealer told me the def had a shelf life of 6 months. It's a second car for me so it's not driven daily. Do I top off the def or wait till empty? Second there's a definite delay in throttle response. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I test drove a diesel and notice the delay too, not sure if its turbo lag or the transmission needs to learn your driving habits, hopefully it will adjust as you add miles... good luck

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations.

Other EcoDiesel owners complain about the delayed response.

I wonder if it is a side-effect of the re-programming FCA had to do the motor to meet environmental regulations.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Congratulations.

Other EcoDiesel owners complain about the delayed response.

I wonder if it is a side-effect of the re-programming FCA had to do the motor to meet environmental regulations.
FWIW with our ed gc that delay goes away when it’s warmed up. Initial start and the first few minutes of driving it feels laggy like it’s still waking up before having its cup of coffee.

Sponsored

D90John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Vehicle Showcase
I have 6000 miles on my 3.0 Ecodiesel. I too find a bit of throttle lag but it is intermittent. Not enough to cause any grief in performance. That being said- I am getting a new warrantied turbo installed. I will be interested to see of the performance picks up and if the mileage gets better. I don’t think I have driven that hard but a lesson learned by me is that I will be letting the new turbo cool down a minute or two after being on the road for a few hours....even in gas stations when they are in a hurry to fill you up Or busy. The Jeep is pretty amazing for what the diesel can do with the low end torque and horse power. More comments later when I can evaluate this Beast!!

morleyz

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
I don't have a Jeep diesel, but my mistress is a Ford 6.7 PowerStroke. Ford published a paper that says DEF has a shelf life between 2 months and 3 years depending on average storage temperature. Apparently it breaks down quicker at higher temps. It says Phoenix should follow a 6 month schedule while a northern state is more like 2 years.

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have 10,000 miles on mine, I’m on 35’s 2.5” lift I have AFe CAI an HiTuck exhaust. I’m not saying there is lag, but I haven’t noticed it. Mine seems to pull real hard in the 18-3500 rpm range. Hope this helps a bit as far as def fluid I have no idea on the shelf life I’ve gone through 3 tanks of that stuff already

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
I bought my first Jeep and went with the Diesel. With that was wondering if anyone could help. First off. It's awesome. Glad I went with the Diesel. Makes the experience that much better. The dealer told me the def had a shelf life of 6 months. It's a second car for me so it's not driven daily. Do I top off the def or wait till empty? Second there's a definite delay in throttle response. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Late to the party a word of caution as winter is coming closer make sure you dont let the def get lower than half. Our diesel trucks def tanks freeze up if its very low and very cold out. I know it has a def heater but we had those fail on us too. So keep a spare gallon of def in a warm place just in case.

SteveVDBH

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL
Any of you have 37 inch tires on your Diesel JL? If so did you change gears or leave it?

Sponsored

SteveVDBH

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL
Regear not needed for 37s. You don't even notice.

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Diesel - def shelf life? Throttle lag? DSC_0040
What I was thinking as well , and nice to get a confirmation. I will tow every so often but mostly moderate wheeling and mudding. Thank you!

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
FWIW with our ed gc that delay goes away when it’s warmed up. Initial start and the first few minutes of driving it feels laggy like it’s still waking up before having its cup of coffee.
Exactly what I feel too. Fuel economy is low when cold also. In my experience coming from a gas engine to a diesel (first in a motorhome and now with the Jeep), I felt the gas was more immediate with initial acceleration, but as I was told by more seasoned diesel people, "diesels gain momentum." I know if you mat my Jeep, it won't snap your neck off, but the faster it goes, the faster it goes if you know what I mean. Pulls like a train up any hill. I don't think you'd have to regear for any reasonable size tire change.

Specopstac

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
I have 10,000 miles on mine, I’m on 35’s 2.5” lift I have AFe CAI an HiTuck exhaust. I’m not saying there is lag, but I haven’t noticed it. Mine seems to pull real hard in the 18-3500 rpm range. Hope this helps a bit as far as def fluid I have no idea on the shelf life I’ve gone through 3 tanks of that stuff already
I can’t find a cai for the Jeep Wrangler 3.0