Sponsored

JLU - Diabolical Slipstream vs Tonneau cover?

Last Mango

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
JLU with Premium Soft top. We would like to run Safari mode (Leaving rear and side windows at home), and need rain/security coverage for the cargo area. At least out of sight security, as a pocket knife could cut the soft top.

Diabolical Slipstream looks like an interesting option. We could strap a cooler or other items on top. Might even add a tonneau cover over top of the duster for rain protection.

We are debating the Diabolical Slipstream vs a simple rear deck tonneau cover or duster (Like we have done on several other jeeps).

Thoughts/Suggestions?

Anyone in Central Florida have a Slipstream I can look over before pulling the trigger?

Cheers,
James
Sponsored

Last edited:

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Slipstream is awesome. Love that you can break it down too.

OP
OP

Last Mango

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Slipstream is awesome. Love that you can break it down too.
JC7 - Do you have one installed? How was install? How is build quality? Any down side?
Cheers,
James

Reactions: JC7

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
JC7 - Do you have one installed? How was install? How is build quality? Any down side?
Cheers,
James
I do. The install was slightly painful and I’m glad it’s done. Lol quality is top notch. One small price has a bubbly looking powder coat, aside from that it’s perfect.

OP
OP

Last Mango

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone in Central Florida have one I can look at to help me decide?

Any other input?

Cheers,
James

Sponsored

tesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 Ocean Blue
I just installed the slipstream on my JLUR with premium soft top. It is a top notch product. The powder coat isn’t perfect, and you get JK instruction that leave you with a few things to figure out, but it’s worth it.

A couple notes important to soft top:

1. You need hard top bolts to complete the install. You can buy M8-1.25 bolts and make do or get something Jeep specific.
2. The top cover doesn’t clear the soft top mechanism so opening it isn’t as easy as with a hard top. You have to release all the pins and slide it out a little to get clearance. I plan to notch the tailskin to fix this but haven’t done yet. I’ve also shared this with Alan at Diabolical and he says he’s aware of it and working on solutions.

OP
OP

Last Mango

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just installed the slipstream on my JLUR with premium soft top. It is a top notch product. The powder coat isn’t perfect, and you get JK instruction that leave you with a few things to figure out, but it’s worth it.

A couple notes important to soft top:

1. You need hard top bolts to complete the install. You can buy M8-1.25 bolts and make do or get something Jeep specific.
2. The top cover doesn’t clear the soft top mechanism so opening it isn’t as easy as with a hard top. You have to release all the pins and slide it out a little to get clearance. I plan to notch the tailskin to fix this but haven’t done yet. I’ve also shared this with Alan at Diabolical and he says he’s aware of it and working on solutions.
Tesla - When my jeep arrives (Soon I hope) it will have the premium soft top, and am fairly sure I want the Diabolical. I want to make sure I understand the issue. Do you mean when you "lift the lid", the lid doesn't clear the soft top arms? Maybe I should wait until Diabolical resolves this issue?
Thank you,
James

tesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 Ocean Blue
Tesla - When my jeep arrives (Soon I hope) it will have the premium soft top, and am fairly sure I want the Diabolical. I want to make sure I understand the issue. Do you mean when you "lift the lid", the lid doesn't clear the soft top arms? Maybe I should wait until Diabolical resolves this issue?
Thank you,
James
Yes, if you watch the slipstream videos, you can fold the top over, then fold it up against the rear seat; it's in 2 sections. With the JL soft top, the first section hits the inner support arms of the soft top mechanism. It'll take about 0.5" notch to make it clear. I would email diabolical and ask about it before ordering.

This is the top cover as it rests on the soft top arms when you open it. You can also see the bolts I bought for the hard top bolt locations lower left.
jpg1.jpg
This is a close up of the passenger side resting on the arm.
image1.jpeg

OP
OP

Last Mango

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the clarification. I still have about a month before the jeep arrives, so will certainly wait on ordering the Slipstream.
Cheers,
James

tesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 Ocean Blue
8408D8B7-7607-40AD-9F5D-1549A1241771.jpeg
Thank you for the clarification. I still have about a month before the jeep arrives, so will certainly wait on ordering the Slipstream.
Cheers,
James
Update: I notched the tailskin so the top could fold but there’s no way that this top is going to fold up all the way with the soft top. It hits the same spot when you’re trying to fold it all the way up.

Sponsored

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I guess this was not taken into consideration when designing the Slipstream. I sure hope they come up with a solution for this who have the unit.

OP
OP

Last Mango

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but it would certainly be better if it would fold all the way up. I'm still in the waiting game.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
So this ships with the wrong model instructions (JK), I need to buy extra bolts and the top interferes with my soft top locks?

Did they fix the issue with the Alpine subwoofer bolts yet?

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
So this ships with the wrong model instructions (JK), I need to buy extra bolts and the top interferes with my soft top locks?

Did they fix the issue with the Alpine subwoofer bolts yet?
I got jk instructions.. there is a video that you’ll watch 100x that goes over the JL part differences and subwoofer install. Install was a pain, I have a hardtop, but hadn’t heard that there is issues. This is one of my favorite additions so far. Love running topless and knowing my stuff is secure and not blowing all over the place, plus it does look slick.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I got jk instructions.. there is a video that you’ll watch 100x that goes over the JL part differences and subwoofer install. Install was a pain, I have a hardtop, but hadn’t heard that there is issues. This is one of my favorite additions so far. Love running topless and knowing my stuff is secure and not blowing all over the place, plus it does look slick.
Feel the same way except I have a soft top and not thrilled that there is a mechanical interference. I hate being a beta tester on a $700 item (dont @ me), but I’ve installed enough stuff on my jeep and other cars that I am actually amazed when an install goes per instructions (assuming there are instructions). I’ll most likely still get one of these, but its moving to the rear of the queue until hopefully they get the fitment issue resolved.
Sponsored