Sponsored

JLU - Diabolical Slipstream vs Tonneau cover?

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I have the Jeep Backbone. Same principle as the Slipstream. Perhaps less configurable, but a very clean look. They have a hard top and soft top version.

https://www.jeepbackbone.com/product-page/jl-backbone-soft-top-ss

They had an awesome sale in September. I am not sure if they have a forum discount, but the owner is awesome to deal with. If you weren’t aware of them, you may want to check them out.
Sponsored

prw04

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Billet Silver
@Mid-life Wrangler. Can you post some pictures of your backbone. What is shown on the website is not really worth the look. Thanks.

tesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 Ocean Blue
That wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but it would certainly be better if it would fold all the way up. I'm still in the waiting game.
There is a workaround, you just have to pull all the top pins and slide it around. It’s not as convenient as just folding it up, but it still works. I still really like this but he needs to address this, or say it’s for hard top only. To fix it, I think he would have to make the folding top about 2 inches narrower. Then everything would clear and it wouldn’t really impact the functionality.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I have the Jeep Backbone. Same principle as the Slipstream. Perhaps less configurable, but a very clean look. They have a hard top and soft top version.

https://www.jeepbackbone.com/product-page/jl-backbone-soft-top-ss

They had an awesome sale in September. I am not sure if they have a forum discount, but the owner is awesome to deal with. If you weren’t aware of them, you may want to check them out.
The website is a bit sparse on details. I found this video on a JK. Looks like you cant open the backbone and it does not have the locking passthru door as the slipstream. And its the same price. At least for me, I think the diabolical would be a better choice.

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Considering the Slipstream is a system to be used with the soft top (yes, it works for the hard top as well but contents are more secure from the start) to keep items secure, I assumed from all the marketing materials it would work with the soft top. This is a major gaffe regarding the engineering of the product which needs to be fixed. And when I say fixed, an update needs to be provided to current users at no additional cost.

Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Considering the Slipstream is a system to be used with the soft top (yes, it works for the hard top as well but contents are more secure from the start) to keep items secure, I assumed from all the marketing materials it would work with the soft top. This is a major gaffe regarding the engineering of the product which needs to be fixed. And when I say fixed, an update needs to be provided to current users at no additional cost.
Free Diobolical T-Shirt maybe? Hard to say. No idea how many of these they’ve sold, but it would be expensive to replace parts. I guess it depends how big they are and how much they can afford for customer good will. I may still do this eventually, eyes wide open now.

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
The website is a bit sparse on details. I found this video on a JK. Looks like you cant open the backbone and it does not have the locking passthru door as the slipstream. And its the same price. At least for me, I think the diabolical would be a better choice.
Yeah, that’s what I was trying to convey with “less configurable”. They sold them for $399 in September. I wanted the clean look and the fact that it was almost half the cost was a bonus. If concealment is all you want then the cover would be fine, but all of that secure storage with a Slipstream or Backbone is hard to pass up. Not to mention, you can store stuff on top of them as well.

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I've been following the development of the Slipstream for some time, awaiting a JL 2 door version.

The backbone is interesting, too, thanks for posting the link. It's always good to have options to investigate.

I just tried to email Jeep Backbone per the address on their website, with questions about timing of availability for 2 door JL and load rating for cargo on the top. Email was returned undeliverable, due to mailbox being full. Looks like they aren't monitoring communications, wonder if they are still in business? If they are, concerns me if they are reachable in the event of a product issue.

Alan at Diabolical is reachable and responsive so far.

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I've been following the development of the Slipstream for some time, awaiting a JL 2 door version.

The backbone is interesting, too, thanks for posting the link. It's always good to have options to investigate.

I just tried to email Jeep Backbone per the address on their website, with questions about timing of availability for 2 door JL and load rating for cargo on the top. Email was returned undeliverable, due to mailbox being full. Looks like they aren't monitoring communications, wonder if they are still in business? If they are, concerns me if they are reachable in the event of a product issue.

Alan at Diabolical is reachable and responsive so far.
That’s interesting. I had some questions when I ordered in September. I left a message and the owner called me directly and gave me his personal number to call back if I had further questions. I also emailed them in early January to see about ordering the rear part of the deck for a soft top as they are interchangeable and I have dual tops. It is not something available to order online, but he responded quickly with a price and included his number to order by phone. I just sent him another message this morning. I guess I’ll see if he replies.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Can you post some pictures of your backbone. What is shown on the website is not really worth the look. Thanks.
Here's some pic's of mine.
jeepbackbone.jpg

jeepbackbone2.jpg

Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Here's some pic's of mine.
jeepbackbone.jpg

jeepbackbone2.jpg
Thanks. I think for $399 that’s not bad at all. At $700 I dont think it compares to the Slipstream. Of course, if indeed the company is belly-up, its all academic.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Thanks. I think for $399 that’s not bad at all. At $700 I dont think it compares to the Slipstream. Of course, if indeed the company is belly-up, its all academic.
It's definitely different than the Slipstream. It's 3 piece construction uses light weight aluminum and is easy to remove/install with no top or soft top, but if your running a hard, the hard top will have to be removed. I can vouch for their customer service and my last communication was 1/17, so still in business then.

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
That’s interesting. I had some questions when I ordered in September. I left a message and the owner called me directly and gave me his personal number to call back if I had further questions. I also emailed them in early January to see about ordering the rear part of the deck for a soft top as they are interchangeable and I have dual tops. It is not something available to order online, but he responded quickly with a price and included his number to order by phone. I just sent him another message this morning. I guess I’ll see if he replies.
Good to know, perhaps just a temporary issue.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Have to put in perspective how tough these boxes have to be. If someone really wanted to get in the trunk of a car, all they’d need to do is take a crow bar to pry it open. If they want to get in your glove box (and you have not left the door open like so many do), a window is easily shattered. Anyone familiar with Jeep soft overs dont even have to cut them to get in. That said, I’d still like something like a Slipstream.

tesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 Ocean Blue
Have to put in perspective how tough these boxes have to be. If someone really wanted to get in the trunk of a car, all they’d need to do is take a crow bar to pry it open. If they want to get in your glove box (and you have not left the door open like so many do), a window is easily shattered. Anyone familiar with Jeep soft overs dont even have to cut them to get in. That said, I’d still like something like a Slipstream.
I’ll say with the slipstream, it would take a lot of effort to pry it up. It’s all steel and there isn’t a lot of room anywhere to fit a prybar in. The only way to quickly get into it would be with a cutoff wheel IMO. It’s really solid. If you have to go to those efforts, someone would have to know there is something really valuable in there, and they would need to have the time away from passers by in order to pull it off. I would feel comfortable leaving some pretty valuable stuff in there with the slipstream on
Sponsored