JLU Bright White.

C0mm0n773

First Name
Enrique
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Oscar Mike Edition
Guys and girls everyone in here I need so much help trying to figure out how to start building my jeep I have no clue what’s great or what’s not. I need every bit of help
Sponsored

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
It kinda depends what you want to do WITH your jeep. Crawler builds will be different than a camping/overlanding rig. Start at step 1, then think about what's needed from there, then step 2 is cash in the 401k and start bolting shit on. (Jk)

OP
OP
C0mm0n773

C0mm0n773

First Name
Enrique
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It kinda depends what you want to do WITH your jeep. Crawler builds will be different than a camping/overlanding rig. Start at step 1, then think about what's needed from there, then step 2 is cash in the 401k and start bolting shit on. (Jk)
Oooof can’t touch the 401k yet lol but I want to overland kind of like “The Story Til Now” but I don’t have a rubicon and I Idk if that makes a huge difference

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Enrique,

It's easier than you think. With a large enough wallet, the sky is the limit.

For me unfortunately that isn't the case. I knew what I wanted but had just above a minimalist's budget.

I wanted about as off-road capable of a Sport as I could get without breaking the bank. It also needed and continue to be my daily driver. So here was my approach - - which may be meaningless for you, since only you (and no one else) truly understands why you've bought your JL Wrangler in the first place.

For me:
1. 35" All-Terrain tires with 12.5" width.
2. Good looking wheels to mate with the tires.
3. Simple lift kit to mate with the wheels and tires.
4. Sway-Bar Quick Disconnect Kit.
5. Side steps to help my better-half get in and out.
6. Stubby antenna to get rid of the ugly monopole.
7. CB radio to be able to communicate with other Jeepers.
8. Satellite Radio when off-road in the boonies with no cell or terrestrial signal coverage.

Here is the result:
1. Goodyear Duratrac Wrangler All-Terrain 35x12.5x17s
2. Fuel Ammo (Anthracite) 17x9 -12mm offset
3. Mopar 2.5" Lift Kit.
4. Teraflex 1-4" Sway-Bar Quick Disconnect Kit
5. Mopar plastic side steps. Soon to be replaced with LOD Destroyers (or equivalent).
6. Rydonair Stubby Antenna.
7. Cobra 75wxst CB radio with 3ft Fire Stick antenna. Soon to add a Ham radio with passage of my Technician Class License.
8. Vais Technology GSR-FC07 headless SiriusXM Satellite Integration kit for the UConnect 3 radio.

IMG_20200605_180738.jpg

IMG_20200605_180828.jpg

IMG_20200605_180803.jpg

IMG_20200605_180916.jpg

IMG_20200605_180947.jpg

IMG_20210215_135447.jpg

IMG_20210215_135404.jpg

IMG_20200124_213002.jpg

IMG_20200124_214439.jpg

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
Oooof can’t touch the 401k yet lol but I want to overland kind of like “The Story Til Now” but I don’t have a rubicon and I Idk if that makes a huge difference
kidding about the 401k.
don't get hung up on what you don't have, make use of what you DO have. prioritize your build, need vs want. build it towards weekend camping and expand it from there, do your research on everything you plan to add to your jeep to make sure it's actually what you need or want. mistakes can be very costly in incompatible parts.

Sponsored

OP
OP
C0mm0n773

C0mm0n773

First Name
Enrique
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Enrique,

It's easier than you think. With a large enough wallet, the sky is the limit.

For me unfortunately that isn't the case. I knew what I wanted but had just above a minimalist's budget.

I wanted about as off-road capable of a Sport as I could get without breaking the bank. It also needed and continue to be my daily driver. So here was my approach - - which may be meaningless for you, since only you (and no one else) truly understands why you've bought your JL Wrangler in the first place.

For me:
1. 35" All-Terrain tires with 12.5" width.
2. Good looking wheels to mate with the tires.
3. Simple lift kit to mate with the wheels and tires.
4. Sway-Bar Quick Disconnect Kit.
5. Side steps to help my better-half get in and out.
6. Stubby antenna to get rid of the ugly monopole.
7. CB radio to be able to communicate with other Jeepers.
8. Satellite Radio when off-road in the boonies with no cell or terrestrial signal coverage.

Here is the result:
1. Goodyear Duratrac Wrangler All-Terrain 35x12.5x17s
2. Fuel Ammo (Anthracite) 17x9 -12mm offset
3. Mopar 2.5" Lift Kit.
4. Teraflex 1-4" Sway-Bar Quick Disconnect Kit
5. Mopar plastic side steps. Soon to be replaced with LOD Destroyers (or equivalent).
6. Rydonair Stubby Antenna.
7. Cobra 75wxst CB radio with 3ft Fire Stick antenna. Soon to add a Ham radio with passage of my Technician Class License.
8. Vais Technology GSR-FC07 headless SiriusXM Satellite Integration kit for the UConnect 3 radio.

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Bright White. IMG_20200124_214439

Damn that Jeep looks crisp. I’m broke so I need to buy things as they come and that’s my thing. I want 37s but I can settle for 35s for now. If I get bigger tires and a lift what I’m scared of is do I now need to work on other stuff like axles or any off the gears. Or can I be sick for a while and be ok.? I want LEDs the Oracle ones and the front bumper to be a venator just cus I like how clean it looks. The fenders I want the rubicon white ones so I can do that fender chop. But man all this is just overwhelming in a good way. I wish I had someone in Chicago to help out and is an expert wherever I do want to do something to my jeep

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Enrique,

I totally agree with @dpike. Take your build in steps as you can afford them. I couldn't afford everything at once. It had taken me about 9 months to cobble all of my build together (so far).

I did the build in somewhat of a priority order where my budget typically determined the priority. I also found a local Jeep club and they provided some really good and sound advice.

My first mod was the stubby antenna. It was the cheapest and easiest. Next were the side steps. An hour job. Then had a local stereo installer help with the satellite radio about a month after.

A couple weeks after that was the CB. Did this one myself. Saved a bunch but truthfully ripping out the interior panels to route all the antenna cabling and wiring was a pain.

The first real costly mod was the lift. I went with the Mopar lift installed by the dealership because I valued my warranty. This is my first Wrangler after all. Don't really know what to expect.

I ordered the wheels, but because of COVID they were going to be delayed (really delayed, by almost 4 months). I ran around on almost 3" of new lift on stock 31.5" Michelin tires for that entire time. Even though I received strange looks, this was actually a godsend because it allowed me the extra time to save up for both the tires and wheels together.

Last came the Teraflex Sway-Bar Link Quick Disconnects. This completed my initial overall build. However, I'm still considering replacing my plastic side steps for more trail appropriate steel sliders.

Next will be a metal front bumper with a 10K winch. Budget hasn't yet been accomplished for my next build goals.

For you, 37s will incur yet a further cost. Differential regearing will also be in your future. A gear ratio of 4.56:1 (or higher) will be needed to have acceptable take-off from a start acceleration. Also the much heavier rubber will likely require heavier duty brakes. Please don't shoot the messenger. I'm just sharing why I'm not considering anything larger than 35s.

Rubicon's come with a hefty price tag for a reason. Making a Sport or Sahara into a Rubi requires just as much expense, or close to it. But at least the cost burden can happen over time.

That time is up to both you and your wallet.

Jay

FrostySerb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR/2017 Ram 2500 Mega-Cab LongHorn Cummins
This is 100% accurate, if the Jeep is your DD I wouldn’t recommend 37s unless you have $ to build it up at least somewhat.
In my experience rubicons are a bargain, the time and cost to build a sport up to them outweighs the initial sticker price.

my 2 cents which is worth exactly that, protect it (armor) wheel it/use it and buy what is most important as it comes and money allows. I’ve built three jeeps and took three different approaches

good luck

OP
OP
C0mm0n773

C0mm0n773

First Name
Enrique
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Enrique,

I totally agree with @dpike. Take your build in steps as you can afford them. I couldn't afford everything at once. It had taken me about 9 months to cobble all of my build together (so far).

I did the build in somewhat of a priority order where my budget typically determined the priority. I also found a local Jeep club and they provided some really good and sound advice.

My first mod was the stubby antenna. It was the cheapest and easiest. Next were the side steps. An hour job. Then had a local stereo installer help with the satellite radio about a month after.

A couple weeks after that was the CB. Did this one myself. Saved a bunch but truthfully ripping out the interior panels to route all the antenna cabling and wiring was a pain.

The first real costly mod was the lift. I went with the Mopar lift installed by the dealership because I valued my warranty. This is my first Wrangler after all. Don't really know what to expect.

I ordered the wheels, but because of COVID they were going to be delayed (really delayed, by almost 4 months). I ran around on almost 3" of new lift on stock 31.5" Michelin tires for that entire time. Even though I received strange looks, this was actually a godsend because it allowed me the extra time to save up for both the tires and wheels together.

Last came the Teraflex Sway-Bar Link Quick Disconnects. This completed my initial overall build. However, I'm still considering replacing my plastic side steps for more trail appropriate steel sliders.

Next will be a metal front bumper with a 10K winch. Budget hasn't yet been accomplished for my next build goals.

For you, 37s will incur yet a further cost. Differential regearing will also be in your future. A gear ratio of 4.56:1 (or higher) will be needed to have acceptable take-off from a start acceleration. Also the much heavier rubber will likely require heavier duty brakes. Please don't shoot the messenger. I'm just sharing why I'm not considering anything larger than 35s.

Rubicon's come with a hefty price tag for a reason. Making a Sport or Sahara into a Rubi requires just as much expense, or close to it. But at least the cost burden can happen over time.

That time is up to both you and your wallet.

Jay
Yea this jeep is definitely my daily. I think I’ll do 35s now and when money gets better I’ll upgrade to 37s. I don’t want to do anything major with gearing yet. Not until I see what the gladiator comes with next. And hopefully the tires and wheels I get I can just swap them out to the new vehicle. As well as any exterior parts I buy. Idk I really wanted the gladiator and don’t get me wrong I love this wrangler but that gladiator does something to my heart strings lol. I just wish it came with a stronger engine. And not so hefty price tag like the eco diesel. However this build will continue for now and I hope I can keep you guys as connections if any questions I may have. Do you guys have any social media I can follow?

OP
OP
C0mm0n773

C0mm0n773

First Name
Enrique
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is 100% accurate, if the Jeep is your DD I wouldn’t recommend 37s unless you have $ to build it up at least somewhat.
In my experience rubicons are a bargain, the time and cost to build a sport up to them outweighs the initial sticker price.

my 2 cents which is worth exactly that, protect it (armor) wheel it/use it and buy what is most important as it comes and money allows. I’ve built three jeeps and took three different approaches

good luck
Yea I definitely wanted the rubi just because it already had a starting point. I wouldn’t need to buy the fenders or the lift right away. I could just put 35s and it’ll look fine for a while. Hopefully I come across one that I can trade in for an at a low price. I will keep you guys updated if that’sok and I’d follow y’all but I only have ig.

Sponsored

FrostySerb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At this point it’s probably cheaper to keep what you have and modify it / unless you got a great deal ...

Have you wheeled the Jeep you have yet?

OP
OP
C0mm0n773

C0mm0n773

First Name
Enrique
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At this point it’s probably cheaper to keep what you have and modify it / unless you got a great deal ...

Have you wheeled the Jeep you have yet?
Na the most I’ve done was drive in this crazy ass weather in the Jeep Im from Chicago so it was bad

FrostySerb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na the most I’ve done was drive in this crazy ass weather in the Jeep Im from Chicago so it was bad
I would take it off-road and do easy trails to see if you even like it / then you have better idea if you want to build the Jeep for form and function or just form which would be way less expensive !
Good luck

OP
OP
C0mm0n773

C0mm0n773

First Name
Enrique
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would take it off-road and do easy trails to see if you even like it / then you have better idea if you want to build the Jeep for form and function or just form which would be way less expensive !
Good luck
Na i know I want function. Lol I want to go camping in this

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Enrique,

You will discover that your rig is more capable than you think it is (as is). Upgrading to 35s, if you decide to go that way, will make your JL almost unstoppable anywhere you care to point it.

These Wranglers are pretty amazing machines. Lift, larger rubber and sway-bar link disconnects allow me to go everywhere here in Colorado that my Jeep Club buddies in their modded Rubi's go. Granted without lockers I let them play in the extreme rock crap. Yet, I'm still up at all the high mountain passes with them. My goal like yours is to see my state, camp and enjoy the comaraderie and friendships along the journey. On a path only a Jeep will navigate.

Do your build in the best way that makes sense for you. Enjoy the adventure no matter how you do it. It's yours to accomplish in any way your spirit takes you.

Regards and happy Jeeping,
Jay
Sponsored