Sponsored

JLU Backup camera/ spare tire bike rack workaround.

Bzan

First Name
Braedon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sahara
Hey guys. First time posting a discussion. I previously owned a JK model Wrangler that I purchased the Mopar OEM spare tire mount for. Bolts directly to the spare tire lugs. When I upgraded to a JLU I completely forgot to factor in the addition of the rear backup camera that they so smartly positioned straight through the spare tire. I can no longer mount my bike rack. Anybody have the same issue and have some workarounds? I’d really rather not fork out another $4-$700 for a bike rack when this ones in fantastic shape.
Sponsored

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
My suggestion: When you have the bike rack on, reverse with your head out the window as we were all taught to do before reversing cameras came along.

Reactions: Sol
OP
OP
Bzan

Bzan

First Name
Braedon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sahara
My suggestion: When you have the bike rack on, reverse with your head out the window as we were all taught to do before reversing cameras came along.
Think you’re missing the point here. It’s not about use of the camera. It’s about camera location. Camera is mounted straight through the center of the spare tire which is originally where the bike rack went.But thanks for the sarcastic and ever so helpful comment.

Rustydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I use a bike rack frequently on my JLU. Even with a hitch mount you can’t see much from the cam. And also must deactivate the obstacle sensor or it goes off constant in reverse.
The only solution I can imagine is mounting a auxiliary camera. The larger screen head unit has a auxiliary input for the front camera option. I don’t see why one couldn't tap into that with another camera. Not a cheap solution.
The company that makes the Tazer sells a kit.
i just backup old school style with my rack on.

OP
OP
Bzan

Bzan

First Name
Braedon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sahara
I use a bike rack frequently on my JLU. Even with a hitch mount you can’t see much from the cam. And also must deactivate the obstacle sensor or it goes off constant in reverse.
The only solution I can imagine is mounting a auxiliary camera. The larger screen head unit has a auxiliary input for the front camera option. I don’t see why one couldn't tap into that with another camera. Not a cheap solution.
The company that makes the Tazer sells a kit.
i just backup old school style with my rack on.
So you’re saying just remove the whole camera unit? I have no problem reversing old school even though some people seem to think I’m completely reliant on the camera. I was just asking if there was a good clean way to work around it without having to dismantle it. I guess I could just remove the thing. I feel like they could’ve done a better job mounting it somewhere else.

Sponsored

Rustydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
So you’re saying just remove the whole camera unit? I have no problem reversing old school even though some people seem to think I’m completely reliant on the camera. I was just asking if there was a good clean way to work around it without having to dismantle it. I guess I could just remove the thing. I feel like they could’ve done a better job mounting it somewhere else.
No I’m saying leave the original unit in place. And hook up a auxiliary camera using that available input. That is if your head unit has that input functionality. Youd have to consult with the manufacturer of the kit to confirm all that

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

There is a thread on the forum entitled “Backup camera relocated out of spare tire and into rear bumper” that might give you some ideas. :idea:

OP
OP
Bzan

Bzan

First Name
Braedon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sahara
No I’m saying leave the original unit in place. And hook up a auxiliary camera using that available input. That is if your head unit has that input functionality. Youd have to consult with the manufacturer of the kit to confirm all that
Yeah, can’t leave the original unit in place. It’s run through the center of the spare tire which is where the rack needs to bolt through. Thanks though. I’ll look into it.