Sponsored

JLU as daily driver and off road vehicle?

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I drive mine 90 miles a day for work and then go beat it up on the weekends, i love having a vehicle capable of it all
Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
My JLUR is my daily driver and trail rig. Its not my only vehicle though. So if I break something or get stuck in the middle of an upgrade, I've got something else to drive.

My current job is 100% remote from home, so I don't drive nearly as much as I did. I spent 20+ years with a 30+ mile each way commute. I'm getting used to my short commute from my bedroom to the basement office... occasionally there's traffic in the kitchen in the mornings.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
My JLUR is my daily driver and trail rig. Its not my only vehicle though. So if I break something or get stuck in the middle of an upgrade, I've got something else to drive.

My current job is 100% remote from home, so I don't drive nearly as much as I did. I spent 20+ years with a 30+ mile each way commute. I'm getting used to my short commute from my bedroom to the basement office... occasionally there's traffic in the kitchen in the mornings.
What i would give for a work from home lol.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Mine is both. I take it offroad about twice per month. If it was just for the trails I think a used Jeep is a better deal. But for both the JL is awesome.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Other than dirt and sand, it only gets real off-roading once a year as it's an 8 to 12 hour drive depending on where I want to go. It's a fantastic daily driver on 37s. Just do it!

Sponsored

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'm blessed with pretty incredible offroading minutes from home and my 2020 JLUR is a daily driver unless the weather is good, then I take my 2019 Vstrom to work. Arizona is awesome! That said, I just installed a 2.5" Game Changer lift and in the process of fitting 37" STT Pro tires to KMC beadlocks. We hit the trail EVERY weekend, and I'm building for Moab, lol. Jeeps do both well.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
I trail ride rock crawl every chance I get or hill climb and a daily driver. I am not fortunate enough to work from home, I work in every other state but home. As you can see below everything I do with my Jeep... well almost. The most universal vehicle I have ever owned. currently 45k on the clock her 10th oil change and going on her 3rd Diff lube. Still much love....
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU as daily driver and off road vehicle? dirty moab
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU as daily driver and off road vehicle? hillclimb
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU as daily driver and off road vehicle? SD1
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU as daily driver and off road vehicle? SD4
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU as daily driver and off road vehicle? workin
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU as daily driver and off road vehicle? clean

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I'm not a Jeep wiz like a lot of you are on here but just out of curiosity I was wondering how many people on here have their JL's as their daily drivers and only vehicle but still go off roading with it 2 to 3 times a week. Also is this a good idea and if so what are some things I should always keep an eye out for?
I've done this with all 3 of my Jeeps, including my JLUR. Things that helped me:
1). Start easy. Know your limits and always err on the side of caution
2). Build Up: Tires-> Skidplates/ armor-> Winch-> lift-> gearing/ axles/ lockers. This strategy will always protect the important parts in the event of a.. miscalculation.
3). Go with more experienced people. They'll teach you line choice/ spotting.

my JLUR is a daily driver/ family hauler/ wheeler. I haven't really been able to get out mostly due to work/ family obligations this year, but such is life. I was out every weekend at one point with my old TJ's and through good planning/ build/ maintenance/ friends and some luck- I only ever came home on a trailer once, and that was due to a design flaw/ my own oversight on a tie rod from my old TJ. Thankfully I was out with the dudes who designed it and they helped me limp it off the trail. My TJ hitched a ride home on a buddy's trailer and, I drove his YJ.

I'm comfortable enough with my JLUR that I was able to drive my JLUR 4 hours, wheel all day at Rausch Creek in 90+ degree temps, do it again the next day, then drive 4 hours home. While at Rausch Creek, I was able to complete some black level trails (next difficulty is red- for comp buggies). Now, disclaimer: Yes, I am stock, plus armor. But I'm also an experienced driver with very experienced drivers whom I trust absolutely spotting me through most of this stuff. I really had to drive, be meticulous with line choice, and there was a lot of skid plate use. The ONLY time i had to choose a go around or a different trail was when I didn't have the ground clearance to physically get my Jeep over something without body damage. I have pics in my build thread. Looking back, it's more than I planned on doing but I'm glad I did it because it showed me how truly capable this rig is and made the necessity for 37's less.... however it made me want them more.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I've never been fortune enough to have a "play" vehicle, so all my jeeps have been weekend warriors. It does have an advantage over the dedicated play rigs though, it keeps you sensible. A dude with a dedicated trail rig doesn't worry if he is too aggressive and snaps a rear axle.
Sponsored