Sponsored

JLU as daily driver and off road vehicle?

JG1000

First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I'm not a Jeep wiz like a lot of you are on here but just out of curiosity I was wondering how many people on here have their JL's as their daily drivers and only vehicle but still go off roading with it 2 to 3 times a week. Also is this a good idea and if so what are some things I should always keep an eye out for?
Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
I'm not a Jeep wiz like a lot of you are on here but just out of curiosity I was wondering how many people on here have their JL's as their daily drivers and only vehicle but still go off roading with it 2 to 3 times a week. Also is this a good idea and if so what are some things I should always keep an eye out for?
JG,

How you use your Jeep is up to you, your adventurous sprit, your skill, setup and willingness to go to those places that you really want to experience.

I take my JL Sport S off road fairly often, at least 5 to 6 times per month. However, when I go, they're pretty serious trails. Living in Colorado there are lots of those.

I truly enjoy being able to see parts of this state that only other Jeepers or highly modified SUVs can go. I've invested in what I believe are some pretty awesome but required mods in making my JL Sport a little more off-road capable.

Of course, Rubicon's have all the bells and whistles that come on Jeeps. The Sport unfortunately has far less equipment so it has some serious off-road disadvantages. Smaller stock tires, open diffs, and always connected sway bars are the big ones.

So I started with a 2.5" (actually closer to 3") Mopar lift in order to fit 35" all-terrain tires. I put these on 17x9" with -12mm offset wheels in order to widden my Jeep's stance a few inches. Still, the size of the tires are by far the best off-road improvement. However, all this other stuff was just to get these tires installed on my rig.

Unfortunately, due to the 3.45 gear ratio differentials on my Sport, the larger tires have also introduced some on-road draw-backs as well. A little lower gas mileage, and I now barely ever see 8th gear on the freeway. But in my opinion, small price to pay in order to take this thing anywhere, anytime I care to go.

Best daily driver I've ever owned. I really love it.

Also, since I've added quick disconnect sway bar links, with this added articulation I've made some trails that some Rubicon's have needed help. Sure the locking diffs offer great advantages, but with slow, constant velocity rather than jerky acceleration, especially while in 4wd-low, is the magic sauce. Driver's skill on a less capable rig account's for way more than an idiot with all the way cool equipment. Stay focused, and keep your foot light on the accelerator pedal.

Try your best to never lose traction with all four wheels on the ground, while keeping just enough momentum independent of speed and you should have no issues accomplishing any obstacle. Pick a proper line in order to stay as level as possible and eventually your confidence will soar.

Also stay humble. Constantly watch, learn and follow advice and directions. Tackle what you're comfortable with, and say no to whatever you're not. Don't push it. Take it slow. Over time and added experience, more and more trails and obstacles will get that much easier. Above all, this is your daily driver after all. It needs to get you home.

Lastly, these JL's are indeed the best possible vehicle on the planet to do both on and off road driving while on the same journey. Make it the way you want it. More capable off road (or not) just dictates what kind of trails you'd be comfortable in doing.

Only you know what type of adventures you're craving. Make your Jeep the way you want it. Not something some one on this forum wants it (including me). Hopefully though, I've given you some inspiration to get you started.

Go Jeeping on your way to work. Find the really long scenic route, like a mountain pass, forest trail, logging road, or beach path. Your JL will get you there.

Jay

InShot_20200915_223133135.jpg

IMG_20200901_144649.jpg

IMG_20200801_200022.jpg

IMG_20200729_120958.jpg

IMG_20200815_125724.jpg

IMG_20200722_101247.jpg

IMG_20200614_132150.jpg

IMG_20200614_152406.jpg

IMG_20200728_190158.jpg

IMG_7689.jpg

OP
OP

JG1000

First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
JG,

How you use your Jeep is up to you, your adventurous sprit, your skill, setup and willingness to go to those places that you really want to experience.

I take my JL Sport S off road fairly often, at least 5 to 6 times per month. However, when I go, they're pretty serious trails. Living in Colorado there are lots of those.

I truly enjoy being able to see parts of this state that only other Jeepers or highly modified SUVs can go. I've invested in what I believe are some pretty awesome but required mods in making my JL Sport a little more off-road capable.

Of course, Rubicon's have all the bells and whistles that come on Jeeps. The Sport unfortunately has far less equipment so it has some serious off-road disadvantages. Smaller stock tires, open diffs, and always connected sway bars are the big ones.

So I started with a 2.5" (actually closer to 3") Mopar lift in order to fit 35" all-terrain tires. I put these on 17x9" with -12mm offset wheels in order to widden my Jeep's stance a few inches. Still, the size of the tires are by far the best off-road improvement. However, all this other stuff was just to get these tires installed on my rig.

Unfortunately, due to the 3.45 gear ratio differentials on my Sport, the larger tires have also introduced some on-road draw-backs as well. A little lower gas mileage, and I now barely ever see 8th gear on the freeway. But in my opinion, small price to pay in order to take this thing anywhere, anytime I care to go.

Best daily driver I've ever owned. I really love it.

Also, since I've added quick disconnect sway bar links, with this added articulation I've made some trails that some Rubicon's have needed help. Sure the locking diffs offer great advantages, but with slow, constant velocity rather than jerky acceleration, especially while in 4wd-low, is the magic sauce. Driver's skill on a less capable rig account's for way more than an idiot with all the way cool equipment. Stay focused, and keep your foot light on the accelerator pedal.

Try your best to never lose traction with all four wheels on the ground, while keeping just enough momentum independent of speed and you should have no issues accomplishing any obstacle. Pick a proper line in order to stay as level as possible and eventually your confidence will soar.

Also stay humble. Constantly watch, learn and follow advice and directions. Tackle what you're comfortable with, and say no to whatever you're not. Don't push it. Take it slow. Over time and added experience, more and more trails and obstacles will get that much easier. Above all, this is your daily driver after all. It needs to get you home.

Lastly, these JL's are indeed the best possible vehicle on the planet to do both on and off road driving while on the same journey. Make it the way you want it. More capable off road (or not) just dictates what kind of trails you'd be comfortable in doing.

Only you know what type of adventures you're craving. Make your Jeep the way you want it. Not something some one on this forum wants it (including me). Hopefully though, I've given you some inspiration to get you started.

Go Jeeping on your way to work. Find the really long scenic route, like a mountain pass, forest trail, logging road, or beach path. Your JL will get you there.

Jay

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU as daily driver and off road vehicle? IMG_7689

thanks for the response and awesome pics and Jeep!

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
My JL is the daily driver and it goes off-road. Don’t underestimate what your Jeep can do stock. That said, don’t overestimate what it can do either. To me the most important first mods are safety and recovery gear. If your expectations are realistic, even stock tires will get you plenty of fun. My next change will be slightly wider and more aggressive tire (but maintaining roughly the same diameter for road performance - 265/70-17). Going to 33” tires (eg Rubicon takeoffs) is a common change but I think it needs a small lift to go along with it. Some report that they fit without rubbing, but I think it looks off, ymmv. If you go to 35s then as above your road performance will likely drop some - no free lunch.

Certainly some trails require more clearance than stock, but plenty can be done by airing down and proper line. I think the mods depend on how much road daily driving you have to do, and what you’re willing to give up either on pavement or on dirt, along with how technical the trails are near you.

Sponsored

Forestdawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6 Speed
I daily my JLUR and we hit the trails most weekends. NE Georgia has some decent stuff but think more mud and gravel roads than rocks. This being my daily driver I do wheel very conservatively. This needs to be able to get me to work in the morning. Biggest issues i face is keeping it clean and tidy as its always being driven and running up the miles.

SimianHacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited
I have a Sahara JLU with 33" tires, sway bar disconnects, a 1.5 inch lift (coming Monday), and it's my daily driver. I chose to go with the 33" (285/70/R17 KO2) tires and 1.5 inch lift because I wanted to balance the off-road capabilities with on-road. I felt like going to 35's would have left me wanting to change the gearing, I also love the way it drives and I want to maintain that happiness.

I've been off-roading with the 33" tires and it's capable beyond my comfort level. I only had rubbing while off-roading when my vehicle was fully loaded with my family. If it's just my son and I, there is zero rubbing. The main reason we bought this Jeep was to tow behind our RV and use it for our side adventures, turns out a lot of those side adventures are off-roading with everyone.

The Rubicon was probably a better option but at the time I was too ignorant to understand the difference or my enthusiasm for off-roading. Next Jeep will be a Rubi.

Don't for get to wave! º|||||||º

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
My 2018 JLUR is a daily driver for my 17 yr old son and he frequently goes off road too (4-6 times per month). I built it with that exact use in mind and focused the first part of the build on increasing it's on and off road handling with a 2.5" RK lift, 37" tires, complete Synergy steering system, and Fox shocks. Additionally, I added a winch and recovery gear along with a FAD skid.

The second part of my build added front and rear chromoly axle shafts, a Tuffy cargo enclosure, and differential covers and front diff skid.

The third part of my build will complete it (for now): Metalcloak skid plate system, Metalcloak rock rails, Metalcloak control arms, Adams front drive shaft, and either Dana or Dynatrac ball joints. This third installment will give me the peace of mind to tackle trails such as the Rubicon, Fordyce, and Moab.

No matter how you build your Jeep, do it right the first time. Don't skimp on suspension and steering components. You'll be chasing poor handling (wobbles, shimmy, etc) and find yourself adding parts (the ones you should've added initially) to fix the problems. Whenever you change something with the suspension and steering, there is an effect on another part. This is especially true when you add larger tires and wheels (which are heavier) than stock, yet still have the stock steering, track bars, etc. A lot of new Jeepers don't understand initially that those stock components are adequate for stock wheels/tires, but can quickly wear out or fail when subjected to the forces of the heavier components.

That is why it's important to do it right the first time. There's a lot of lifts on the market which don't include some of the "essential" parts. Do your research, plan, and save your money so you can do it right. Buy the best components you can afford, even if it means to wait.

Buy more Jeep than you think you will need, such as getting the Rubicon model vs. a Sport, if you truly think you're going to off road it a lot. More people have traded in their Sport/Sahara for a Rubicon vs. the other way around. My guess is they didn't realize how much fun off-roading is and the Rubicon is a much better off road platform.

My last bit of advice is to do all of the build/mods yourself if you can. You'll gain valuable experience doing this and it'll help you fix and maintain your Jeep without worrying about a dealer or shop messing it up.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Mine is a daily. I wouldn't hesitate to take it off road, it's just a matter of not breaking it depending on where you go. That said, I've always had a backup car that's paid for.

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
My much better half's jeep has off roaded. I just remind her that she needs to drive it home and to work.

Sponsored

CherryOnTop

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Looks like you've got a lot of good replies. I'll add that I started wheeling my JL the first weekend I owned it. Some thought I was nuts but it's why I bought it. I promised myself I wouldn't wear it out driving it back and forth to work and the mall. You've got your priorities all wrong. Face it, almost any vehicle is more suited to everyday transportation, so get yourself a cheapo daily beater (anything will do) and save your special vehicle for fun times with the top off or riding the trails! MHO

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Posted this in another thread other day but relevant here:

Monday: Drive daughter to school and back
Tuesday: Drive daughter to school and back and get groceries
Wednesday: Drive daughter to school and back
Thursday: Drive daughter to school and back
Friday: Drive daughter to school and back

Saturday:

Sunday:

Then get gas.

So, a little of everything :)

1605286197370.gif

1605286197394.gif

1605286197443.gif

1605286197540.png

1605286197419.gif

1605286197345.gif

1605286197513.gif

1605286197466.gif

1605286197490.gif

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
This is WHY I bought a JLUR. I could have spent the same money and gotten an F150 with trailer for my TJ. The TJ road manners are pathetic compared to my JLUR on 37s. Granted, there is some guilt dragging over $60K on rocks...but I figure I got it to enjoy it. For my situation, being able to drive to and from wheeling (even if in another state) won.

I do have another car if I really mess up, and I work from home...so YMMV.

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Mine's a daily driver. 3.5" Metalcloak Gamechanger and 38s. I just did a 5500 km (~3500 mile) road trip with it, and she performed great. I also off road... rock if I can. Had two trips planned to Moab this year, but couldn't go due to the border being closed.

polycore1.jpeg

20201107_144712.jpg

20200918_112532.jpg
Sponsored