Sponsored

JLU aluminum door weight compared to JKU?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm not worried about my doors flying off by leaving the screws out of the hinges. What I'm worried about is mud, salt, corrosion, etc. ruining the threads over time so that you CAN'T get the screws back in even if you want to. Doesn't seem like a good idea to me to leave them out.
Sponsored

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not worried about my doors flying off by leaving the screws out of the hinges. What I'm worried about is mud, salt, corrosion, etc. ruining the threads over time so that you CAN'T get the screws back in even if you want to. Doesn't seem like a good idea to me to leave them out.
I have left them out on 4 Jeeps now, never any issues. Official Jeep info info on the doors is 18 pounds lighter in the front and 15 in the rear.

TexasJeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubi 392 on order
KDB - Thank you for the precise answer. 12 lbs, or 20% lighter. That's significant, and will cause me to remove them more often.

On the thought of removing them more often, Why not leave the bolts out permanently to save time? What's the risk? Gravity will hold the door pins in the sleeve, and the door latch holds the back of the door.

Now if we flip the jeep upside down, maybe the doors will fall out. (There is no doubt a Jeep lawyer would indicate bolts should be in place.)

Life is Good,
James
It's actually more. He was comparing manual windows and locks to power windows and locks on the JLU. I think I read somewhere that they were 18lbs lighter with same config.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
The only problem with leaving the pins out is theft, especially if you have a soft top. People can get into your Jeep, unlock your doors and take them off. Something to think about if you leave your Jeep out over night in an unsafe area.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Another small tip: I open the windows and drape a towel over the door when handling it. This way my belt or jean button can’t scratch it.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

The only problem with leaving the pins out is theft, especially if you have a soft top. People can get into your Jeep, unlock your doors and take them off. Something to think about if you leave your Jeep out over night in an unsafe area.
I cant even imagine how much that would cost if that happened lol. New doors and have to paint and blend. Yikes

TrewJL

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
CEO
Aside from the decreased weight, I really like the latch option and the fact that the pins are not the same length. makes it easier to align the door when putting them back on.
The Milwaukee electric ratchet makes taking the doors and top off even easier.