Sponsored

JLU aluminum door weight compared to JKU?

Last Mango

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Our JK doors weighed enough so that removing them by myself was a chore. I don't have any idea how much they weighed, but it was a bunch. Anyone know how much the JLU front doors weigh? Or how much lighter/easier they are than JKU front doors. Our JLU Rubicon is on order, and removing the doors often is part of the plan.
Cheers,
James
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I think I read somewhere that they are approximately 20 pounds lighter.... I'd Google it to be sure.

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Surprisingly lighter.
And the handle on the inside was handy as well.:like:

JlURT

First Name
WILLY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlURT18'
The difference is very noticable. Much easier to handle since it's lighter. The mass and weight made the JK doors felt heavy then they actually were. Don't have exact numbers but I know the freedom top was 20% lighter and the doors, if I remember correctly were 15% or 20%.

OP
OP

Last Mango

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Gents. I read somewhere about the interior handle making it easier, in addition to the lighter weight. Good Stuff. Cheers, James

Sponsored

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
The doors on my 2 door JK weighed 60 lbs (manual windows/locks), the doors on my 2 door JLR weigh 48 lbs (power windows/locks)

OP
OP

Last Mango

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KDB - Thank you for the precise answer. 12 lbs, or 20% lighter. That's significant, and will cause me to remove them more often.

On the thought of removing them more often, Why not leave the bolts out permanently to save time? What's the risk? Gravity will hold the door pins in the sleeve, and the door latch holds the back of the door.

Now if we flip the jeep upside down, maybe the doors will fall out. (There is no doubt a Jeep lawyer would indicate bolts should be in place.)

Life is Good,
James

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
KDB - Thank you for the precise answer. 12 lbs, or 20% lighter. That's significant, and will cause me to remove them more often.

On the thought of removing them more often, Why not leave the bolts out permanently to save time? What's the risk? Gravity will hold the door pins in the sleeve, and the door latch holds the back of the door.

Now if we flip the jeep upside down, maybe the doors will fall out. (There is no doubt a Jeep lawyer would indicate bolts should be in place.)

Life is Good,
James
Keep them out once removed. On my '09 JK I took them off the first year of ownership and never put them back on. Same on my JL, came off first week of ownership (July 2018) and they are still off, more than likely will never go back on either.

If you roll the jeep you will have bigger issues than if your doors come off but as long as the doors stay latched they will never fall off.

JlURT

First Name
WILLY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlURT18'
Keep them out once removed. On my '09 JK I took them off the first year of ownership and never put them back on. Same on my JL, came off first week of ownership (July 2018) and they are still off, more than likely will never go back on either.

If you roll the jeep you will have bigger issues than if your doors come off but as long as the doors stay latched they will never fall off.

Same. Took them off and ran it that way. On both my JKs as well.

Sponsored

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Mine have been off since end of May no issues.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Havent weighed mine but they are WAY lighter. Im astonished by the weight reduction on components. But do miss the noise dampening of that heavy ass roof...

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

You keep them off in winter too? I was thinking take em off in summer and back in for winter?

Medictrode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2017 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
The JK V1 had handles on the inside which helped in removal and installation, JK V2 didn't and it really sucked to do the job. I'd say both of the JKs I had weighed about 20 pounds more. The JL is soooo much easier, just be sure to put a light coating of grease on the pins once a year to keep them from seizing up.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I also took my pins out and leave them out. What takes the longest to take off is the door stops. But to me they are worth it. It still only takes 10 minutes to take off all 4 doors.
Sponsored