Boogey

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
The caster can't be adjusted due to fixed factory control arms. Toe is the only adjustment that can be made to a stock jeep.

Even if there were adjustments, a dealer would typically affect to factory specs, which we all know are not quite where they really need to be.

I would try the lower tire pressure, if it were my jeep.
Wow thanks for that info. Never thought of that and now it makes sense as it is stock....
Sponsored

OP
OP
Boogey

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
I bought a 2021 JLUR Late September. Currently under 600 miles on the odo.
I also have the black steel gearbox and it drives amazing! However, I have the exact same issue on the highway. It drives straight but (because of the low caster,) it will constantly need adjustment to stay on the center of the lane. I don’t think there is anything wrong with your Jeep specifically.
That is reassuring I guess if the dealership won’t be able to do much then the tire pressure bet would be the best until I invest in more mechanical aftermarket stuff that can be adjusted , stabilizers and control arms and what not!
Thanks

OP
OP
Boogey

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
So i went to the dealer, there were two 15 minutes apart and yes, i went to the wrong one!

None the less, the advisor took a few minutes to talk about the issue and asked " does it feel likes it wandering and you always have to go left and right?"

I answered :yes
She asked : is this your first Jeep?
yes i said.

She then proceeded to inform me that since the new steering box is already installed factory there is nothing that can be really "done" about it or adjusted.

She said since I am a first time jeep owner this is the way "they drive" ...................................................................................................

I had the longest pause in my head, seemed like hours. I could not comprehend the audacity of this person.

That is how a Jeep drives???????????
I proceeded to tell her that some things come badly installed even from the factory and some things could be loose or done in a wrong way.

She scheduled an appointment to check it this Monday and said it would be around 2-4 hours to check .

If they do the check up and then tell me there is nothing they can do what am i supposed to do then?

I did notice , oddly that there is a small slight gap when steering that has very minimal effect on the cars turning direction, but past a certain "point" or "degree" the car jumps...as if there is a curve to it that is exponential.small nudges do nothing but a little more and its like i turned 90 Degrees! I do not know how i overlooked this...

If they cant help ill have to check with another dealer and if that wont help then i do not know what to do.

jl73660

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moving on up .....
I am calling BS on Jeep here telling you this is normal way they drive. You spend $50K on a Jeep and your get a poorly designed steering system that borders or crosses the line into being dangerous. It sounds to me like even the 2021 steering box upgrade they did at the factory is not addressing the issue which imo is a poorly designed steering geometry ....... I had a 2018 JLU Moab and it was so bad I had to get rid of it. And my Ford Raptor that replaced my MOAB tracks straight, returns normally and is an all out pleasure to drive no matter what the conditions are.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I am calling BS on Jeep here telling you this is normal way they drive. You spend $50K on a Jeep and your get a poorly designed steering system that borders or crosses the line into being dangerous. It sounds to me like even the 2021 steering box upgrade they did at the factory is not addressing the issue which imo is a poorly designed steering geometry ....... I had a 2018 JLU Moab and it was so bad I had to get rid of it. And my Ford Raptor that replaced my MOAB tracks straight, returns normally and is an all out pleasure to drive no matter what the conditions are.
Do you still own a Jeep?

OP
OP
Boogey

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
Here is the thing, I call BS as well, but from many owners and people who drove these Jeeps it is a combination of factors from Solid axles, wheel type, ride height and steering box all combined to give you that "Jeep" kind of feel. Not saying it is right , it is in fact extremely appalling to pay 50K for a car that doesn't track straight or return to center where you have to pay a ton more and dedicate more time into installing aftermarket parts to fix this ( which doesn't seem to work in all cases either)

I also think the new steering box was a part fix but not a full fix.No car ever should have 1 mm of play/gap in the steering, that is the whole point of a car, to be driven and if it cant be driven then its purpose is limited and may border on dangerous.

I consider myself lucky that my car at least from what i heard is much much better than many out there and i guess i am satisfied enough to a point where i know it is not a cause for concern and safety and handles well enough.

By the way, i never went back to the dealer and i do not think i will, from their initial response i am sure i will go and waste 2-4 hours of my life with the same answer.

The best thing would be to find a great Jeep mechanic who can give his heart and soul into finding aftermarket solutions to fix this.
Sponsored