Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
Hello everyone.

First post here, first time Jeep wrangler owner.
I have been following many of the posts and learning as much as i can on my new Jeep.
I have had it for 3 weeks as of this post and it has around 400 Miles.

To get to the point, i know the issue about the TSB on the steering box and the play/gap in the steering wheel.

From day one i noticed the car drives funny and needs more attention, chalk it up to a tall 4x4 vehicle driving characteristics, after checking the steering box i found that i do have the Upgraded black steel and with the correct part number so i knew i was ok, BUT...

While parked i notice nearly zero gap in the wheel when turning, maybe less than half an inch if it is even noticeable, when cruising on the HIGHWAY, the car drives straight as a rocket when i center the steering wheel, no problem, but when i give a slight nudge , left or right , the steering never centers back by itself fully, it's a constant struggle and i often find myself ping ponging in my lane left and right on the markers just to get it going straight, it needs constant attention .Not anything dramatic but knowing how highways are and the slight long curves its not easy...certainly not a relaxed drive.

My questions is for those who bought theirs off the lot 2021 with the already upgraded Steering box, do you have the same issue and did you schedule a checkup and did that have it fixed? (re-center itself)

What about those with previous models 2018-2021, have you changed to the new steering and still found it never re-centers?
I am not sure but i heard the JLU has a computer or electronic steering thing?

The car does re-center when making a normal left or right or wide turn etc but not when on highway doing small nudges at slight angles of 0-10 degrees left or right.
I just want to see if this is the normal behavior of a Jeep JLU, as i have been driving all my life and from my experience this should not be normal no matter what the vehicle is.

I already scheduled an appointment this Friday the 13th for a checkup just in case anyone is asking and the tires are at 38 PSI standard as they came off the lot.

Any input would be highly appreciated and yes i have gone through many posts about this but not much information on the self re-centering issue.

Thank you all very much
Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Welcome to the forum. There are some very talented jeepers on here and sure you will get some good advice. I personally solved all my steering problems with the new steel box and complete steersmarts set up. I have a 2020 2dr Ruby that drove pretty good from the delivery date. I had a little hunting/ wonder with constant small inputs. It to drove straight as a bullet on the interstate. Now it drives wonderful but will not return to center without A little help. I also put RK lower control arms and adjusted caster to about 5.9/6. My mechanic said put some miles on it the gears are tight. By the way the aluminum box did not return to center either. The only gripe I have is the lat,lg,gps, and altitude on the o.r.p. do not show up. Only dashes. This is second new radio with no luck. This info is shared only as to what I did. as you have read on this forum different individuals have experienced different solutions for their particular problems. Right now I’m a happy camper and putting on more miles.

OP
OP
Boogey

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
Welcome to the forum. There are some very talented jeepers on here and sure you will get some good advice. I personally solved all my steering problems with the new steel box and complete steersmarts set up. I have a 2020 2dr Ruby that drove pretty good from the delivery date. I had a little hunting/ wonder with constant small inputs. It to drove straight as a bullet on the interstate. Now it drives wonderful but will not return to center without A little help. I also put RK lower control arms and adjusted caster to about 5.9/6. My mechanic said put some miles on it the gears are tight. By the way the aluminum box did not return to center either. The only gripe I have is the lat,lg,gps, and altitude on the o.r.p. do not show up. Only dashes. This is second new radio with no luck. This info is shared only as to what I did. as you have read on this forum different individuals have experienced different solutions for their particular problems. Right now I’m a happy camper and putting on more miles.
Thanks for this info, So i guess this is still a "thing" where you must always give small inputs to correct directions. It is tiresome to be honest but this car is always a blast to drive and the kids always nag to go in my car instead of my wifes 2020 Hinda Pilot, so thats a good thing :)

I do not plan on doing any lifting or mechanical upgrades yet, as i am still new but I am sure that is going to change in the future.My other small issue is that ONLY apple carplay gives some kind of pops, stutters every now and then, radio is fine.I usually switch to radio and unplug the USB cable and that fixes it but still....I guess we live with the little bugs as with every new car until we figure it out.

Do you know anything about the electronic steering by any chance?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Hello everyone.

I have been following many of the posts and learning as much as i can on my new Jeep.

To get to the point, i know the issue about the TSB on the steering box and the play/gap in the steering wheel.

From day one i noticed the car drives funny and needs more attention, chalk it up to a tall 4x4 vehicle driving characteristics, after checking the steering box i found that i do have the Upgraded black steel and with the correct part number so i knew i was ok, BUT...

While parked i notice nearly zero gap in the wheel when turning, maybe less than half an inch if it is even noticeable, when cruising on the HIGHWAY, the car drives straight as a rocket when i center the steering wheel, no problem, but when i give a slight nudge , left or right , the steering never centers back by itself fully, it's a constant struggle and i often find myself ping ponging in my lane left and right on the markers just to get it going straight, it needs constant attention .Not anything dramatic but knowing how highways are and the slight long curves its not easy...certainly not a relaxed drive.

My questions is for those who bought theirs off the lot 2021 with the already upgraded Steering box, do you have the same issue and did you schedule a checkup and did that have it fixed? (re-center itself)

What about those with previous models 2018-2021, have you changed to the new steering and still found it never re-centers?

The car does re-center when making a normal left or right or wide turn etc but not when on highway doing small nudges at slight angles of 0-10 degrees left or right.
I just want to see if this is the normal behavior of a Jeep JLU, as i have been driving all my life and from my experience this should not be normal no matter what the vehicle is.

I already scheduled an appointment this Friday the 13th for a checkup just in case anyone is asking and the tires are at 38 PSI standard as they came off the lot.

Any input would be highly appreciated and yes i have gone through many posts about this but not much information on the self re-centering issue.

Thank you all very much
I had the same recentering issue, but only on left turns. When I turn, the steering wheel takes a few hundred yards to recenter even though the Jeep itself is going dead straight. Happens about every other left turn. On a lark, I bought a Teraflex steering stabilizer not thinking it would make much difference. Installed it yesterday, and the wheel recenters every time. I was (pleasantly) shocked.

OP
OP
Boogey

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
I had the same recentering issue, but only on left turns. When I turn, the steering wheel takes a few hundred yards to recenter even though the Jeep itself is going dead straight. Happens about every other left turn. On a lark, I bought a Teraflex steering stabilizer not thinking it would make much difference. Installed it yesterday, and the wheel recenters every time. I was (pleasantly) shocked.
Wow, that is certainly unexpected , so it should be an easy fix at the dealership if thats the case?

Well mine actually doesn't go straight if the wheel is not centered.It goes where the steering is pointed and never really centers/drives back straight until i force it to the 12 o clock, but then it is driving where its pointing, so i have to adjust it to center str8 ahead on the lane.These micro adjustments make me look like i am driving drunk and i have had people pass me by looking to check if i am busy with my phone or intoxicated ,it is that annoying.

Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Thanks for this info, So i guess this is still a "thing" where you must always give small inputs to correct directions. It is tiresome to be honest but this car is always a blast to drive and the kids always nag to go in my car instead of my wifes 2020 Hinda Pilot, so thats a good thing :)

I do not plan on doing any lifting or mechanical upgrades yet, as i am still new but I am sure that is going to change in the future.My other small issue is that ONLY apple carplay gives some kind of pops, stutters every now and then, radio is fine.I usually switch to radio and unplug the USB cable and that fixes it but still....I guess we live with the little bugs as with every new car until we figure it out.

Do you know anything about the electronic steering by any chance?
Mine is getting better, hardly notice it. I think the miles will help it to center better later on, if not, might add in some more caster. I can drive with one hand while the arm is on the window great now.

OP
OP
Boogey

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
Mine is getting better, hardly notice it. I think the miles will help it to center better later on, if not, might add in some more caster. I can drive with one hand while the arm is on the window great now.

Same here with the driving arm out the window but not on highways, forgive me for saying this but we had two hondas the past year, an accord sport and now the pilot and none of those needed time. I am not a mechanic nor am i too knowledgeable with technical stuff but maybe its a jeep thing??

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Wow, that is certainly unexpected , so it should be an easy fix at the dealership if thats the case?

Well mine actually doesn't go straight if the wheel is not centered.It goes where the steering is pointed and never really centers/drives back straight until i force it to the 12 o clock, but then it is driving where its pointing, so i have to adjust it to center str8 ahead on the lane.These micro adjustments make me look like i am driving drunk and i have had people pass me by looking to check if i am busy with my phone or intoxicated ,it is that annoying.
You're right - yours is behaving differently than mine. Yours actually makes more sense. During that post-turn period, my Jeep drives like the steering wheel is at noon, while the wheel itself is a 10:00 o'clock. I have absolutely no technical explanation as to why the stabilizer remedied the situation. If your Jeep was a Rubicon (or lifted) I'd ask you to look into longer front/lower control arms, as Wolf suggested, to give you more caster. Check this out: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-rubicon-caster-measure.25691/

You can download an app to get yourself an angle measurement. If your caster is below 6 degrees that may be your problem.

OP
OP
Boogey

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
You're right - yours is behaving differently than mine. Yours actually makes more sense. During that post-turn period, my Jeep drives like the steering wheel is at noon, while the wheel itself is a 10:00 o'clock. I have absolutely no technical explanation as to why the stabilizer remedied the situation. If your Jeep was a Rubicon (or lifted) I'd ask you to look into longer front/lower control arms to give you more caster. Check this out: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-rubicon-caster-measure.25691/

You can download an app to get yourself an angle measurement. If your caster is below 6 degrees that may be your problem.
yes i figured it was a different issue nonetheless, steering.Also i have the JLU sport not the Rubicon, was a bit off my budget and since I wont be offroading much it made more sense ( though now i wish i had the RUBY :)

Ill try the app, i saw a video about how caster angle is mostly in charge of self centering so ill check that out.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Not for nothing, but what's your tire pressures? Jeep is well known for delivering new vehicles with high pressures, to help prevent flat spots from forming in the tires after sitting in the same spot. The dealer is supposed to lower them during prep for a final sale, but they almost never do. Too much pressure will result in a wandering, squirrelly feel up at speed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Boogey

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
Not for nothing, but what's your tire pressures? Jeep is well known for delivering new vehicles with high pressures, to help prevent flat spots from forming in the tires after sitting in the same spot. The dealer is supposed to lower them during prep for a final sale, but they almost never do. Too much pressure will result in a wandering, squirrelly feel up at speed.
I knew about this and Ithink you missed it in my original post, it is 38 like they came off the lot but as far as I know 38 is what they should be at as per the diagram on the pillar

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I knew about this and Ithink you missed it in my original post, it is 38 like they came off the lot but as far as I know 38 is what they should be at as per the diagram on the pillar
Oh yeah, there it is. Just missed it. I normally read every typed word, but started scrolling down to read the responses after the mention of a dealer appointment.

I was one of the rare ones to get my pressures lowered by dealer prep to the 37psi stamped on my door jamb. It was still a bit high. I lowered mine after the initial test drive to 32, and it drove more compliant. From my readings here, most seem to run theirs at 35 or less, depending on their specific tire and vehicle weight combo.

OP
OP
Boogey

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
Oh yeah, there it is. Just missed it. I normally read every typed word, but started scrolling down to read the responses after the mention of a dealer appointment.

I was one of the rare ones to get my pressures lowered by dealer prep to the 37psi stamped on my door jamb. It was still a bit high. I lowered mine after the initial test drive to 32, and it drove more compliant. From my readings here, most seem to run theirs at 35 or less, depending on their specific tire and vehicle weight combo.
oh was it 37? well i guess ill try that as a last resort since ill be at the dealership tomorrow and see what the test drive will prompt them to say, I am hoping if it is just a caster adjustment or a small fine tune of whatever is needed that it doesn't take time.Ill let you guys know what the dealer tells me!

Thanks

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
oh was it 37? well i guess ill try that as a last resort since ill be at the dealership tomorrow and see what the test drive will prompt them to say, I am hoping if it is just a caster adjustment or a small fine tune of whatever is needed that it doesn't take time.Ill let you guys know what the dealer tells me!

Thanks
The caster can't be adjusted due to fixed factory control arms. Toe is the only adjustment that can be made to a stock jeep.

Even if there were adjustments, a dealer would typically affect to factory specs, which we all know are not quite where they really need to be.

I would try the lower tire pressure, if it were my jeep.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Hello everyone.

Thank you all very much
I bought a 2021 JLUR Late September. Currently under 600 miles on the odo.
I also have the black steel gearbox and it drives amazing! However, I have the exact same issue on the highway. It drives straight but (because of the low caster,) it will constantly need adjustment to stay on the center of the lane. I don’t think there is anything wrong with your Jeep specifically.
Sponsored