Sponsored

JLs with JK-like tail lights?

Emoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock, Camaro SS
Can you folks knowledgeable about the JLs answer a question for me? I am seeing more and more JLs driving around the greater Boston area.

I had thought that I could always ID them from behind by the fact that the tail lights were kind of pinched in on the sides, like this:
2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-VLP-Exterior-Rubicon-Red-River.jpg.image.1000.jpg

However, I have now seen several JLs that do NOT have this style of tail light. I went off looking at a dealership web site to see if their pictures would show me this. Lo and behold, a Sport S had a pic that showed almost a JK style tail light, albeit with a black surround that the JK doesn't have.

2.jpg

My question is this: What governs which tail light a JL gets and does the buyer have any control over this?

A small issue, but as a longtime "car guy" I have used things like tail lights to ID a vehicle, so this variation throws me a bit.

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Emoto

Emoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The top picture are the LED tail lights. The bottom pic is the standard tail lights.
Oh! Good info. Thank you.

So the "pinchy" ones are part of the "LED Lighting Group Sales code: AD6"?

Very interesting.

It appears that the standard JL headlight is halogen and not LED, so you have to order the AD6 package to get LED headlights, right?

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
The LED tail lights are also part of the SafetyTec group (blind-spot monitoring and park-assist), so it's possible to have LED rears without the LED fronts.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Emoto

Emoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The LED tail lights are also part of the SafetyTec group (blind-spot monitoring and park-assist), so it's possible to have LED rears without the LED fronts.
Huh. That kinda makes me scratch my head.

OP
OP
Emoto

Emoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As in, what? The blind-spot monitoring is built into the rear tail lights. If you order the Active Safety Group AJ1, you automatically get LED tail lamps.
I scratch my head because it seems like if you're going to put LED taillights on, then you probably want LED headlights as well. Maybe that's just how my tiny pea-brain works, though, and nobody else thinks that way.

That is interesting that the blind-spot monitoring is in the tail lights. Is that where most vehicles have it, or is it there because with a Wrangler, you may take off the doors and mirrors?

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
I scratch my head because it seems like if you're going to put LED taillights on, then you probably want LED headlights as well. Maybe that's just how my tiny pea-brain works, though, and nobody else thinks that way.

That is interesting that the blind-spot monitoring is in the tail lights. Is that where most vehicles have it, or is it there because with a Wrangler, you may take off the doors and mirrors?
Because it's a Wrangler. It's the only place they could find to put it. There are plenty of videos that discuss it.

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Safety-And-Security-Blind-Spot-Monitoring.jpg.image.1440.jpg

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rubicon 3.6l, ‘20 JT Sport S
Found this thread because I was wondering the same thing. So my wife has a rubicon JL with halogen headlights, but has the LED tail lights. Looks like that’s because she has the park-assist package. Makes sense.

But can anyone explain why my daughter’s Willys JL has the LED projector headlights but halogen tail lights? Seems like the LED was a package when I was shopping for these…

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

Think Willys gets the LED headlights but not the rest. Willys non-sport. If you get the safety group it will add the tail lights also in LED

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Found this thread because I was wondering the same thing. So my wife has a rubicon JL with halogen headlights, but has the LED tail lights. Looks like that’s because she has the park-assist package. Makes sense.

But can anyone explain why my daughter’s Willys JL has the LED projector headlights but halogen tail lights? Seems like the LED was a package when I was shopping for these…
The LED Lighting Group includes all exterior lights, front and rear. It's generally only available on the upper trims, like the Rubicon and Sahara.

The LED Headlamp and Foglamp Group only includes the headlamps and foglamps. It's a newer option for those with the lower cost trims that want the upgraded forward lighting.

The standard Safety Group includes the upgrade to LED taillights. They serve a dual purpose: LED's illuminate faster than incandescent bulbs and studies prove that the result is a faster brake reaction from following drivers. Also, the blindspot monitoring sensors are located in the outer portion of the lamp housing, which is why they protrude further out to the sides. This protrusion gives the sensors a better field of view around the fender flares.

Your wife opted for the standard Safety Group, but not the LED Lighting Group on her Rubicon. That's why she only has the LED taillights.

Your daughter's Willys has the LED Headlamp and Foglamp Group, which looks to be standard equipment according to the Jeep build site. She didn't opt for the standard Safety Group. That's why she only has LED forward lighting.

NChap89

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR

That's because the Willys trim does not include the full LED package. Just the LED headlamps/foglamps.
Sponsored